Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 419 Posts

·
Glad to be back
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was helping my buddy work on his RHD Mr2 the other day and we were talking about FWD cars. I see all of these hondas and all of the motor swaps with B series motors and people getting super excited about 200whp.

Why not a 94-99 Celica? Any year 3SGTE fits into them and the motor makes great power. They look good. Why not do this over a Honda? There pretty cheep motors are not to bad in price and you could have a 300+ whp car for the same as 200 hp honda guys.

Sorry if this is a stupid and pointless post but I've always wondered this.

·
Glad to be back
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have plenty of guys with 3sgte's in celicas. I used to be one of them. I dont know why its not more popular.
Thats what I'm saying, I just don't understand why its not more popular.

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
The reason is because FWD is wrong wheel drive. I am not completely sure but I believe there aren't that many people willing to waste their time on a futile attempt to turn their rental cars into a 300WHP MONSTER. Besides this Celicas don't earn JDM tyte street cred with the Fast and the Furious crowd. You need a Corolla with tofu restaurant stickers for that. Obviously.

·
Glad to be back
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh i completely agree that FWD is wrong but you know how the younger crowd is that are involved in hondas and other FWD cars. I'm just suprised that you don't see this car more often.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
My theory is that youngsters end up with Hondas because their parents buy them for them. They want them in a reliable and inexpensive car, so they choose a Honda. Plus, FWD is safer for a new driver.
They're just working with what they've got.

Even though the Celica is reliable too, I don't think it's one of the first cars that crosses parents' minds when considering a car for Junior. They look 'racey' and I personally don't think they are as solid as a Honda.

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
Interesting how everyone is ignoring the topic at hand (Well TNH touched upon it a little bit).

The question is about Celica being ignored for the sake of Civic's and Integra's.

Funny thing is- I was about to post a thread "94+ Integra vs. 94+ Celica" and see what people thought.

I'm in the market for a fun FWD car because it has to be an all-year car and withstand the snow in the Northeast.

SO mazx6- I think the reason is that the Honda's are a built with a bit more "performance" in mind as opposed to the comparable year Celica or Corolla. The honda's sit lower, and offer SI/GSR/TypeR models of their "econo" cars. Toyota only throws on tupperware and calls the corolla an "S" model.

Of course this is up to opinion, but I favor the Civic/Integra look over the 94+ celica/corolla look. The civic is lower/wider than a corolla. The 94+ celica can look nice when it has a lip and skirt (starts looking like a supra actually, even the interior is "wraparound" like the Supra).

I was going to post and ask how the 94-99 Celica's handled and felt. I am doubting (before a test drive, mind you) the seats, the shift feel, the steering response, etc. is as good as even a simple LS Integra but I wanted some opinions.

I think (especially lately) the Toyota's are more reliable though, given their motors have timing chains now and don't have the leaky valve cover seal issues of the B motors nor the other F-series honda issues I've read of.

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
The celica used to have guts with an AWD Turbo model available but from 90-00 they didn't have much to offer. Only the last model Celica had actual performance upgrades in it's GT-S model with their own version of "Vtec"...

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
You took this serious? :lol:

"Only the last model Celica had actual performance upgrades in it's GT-S model with their own version of "Vtec"..."

The All Trac had way more tricks up it's sleeve.

·
Nobody
602 Posts
The celica used to have guts with an AWD Turbo model available but from 90-00 they didn't have much to offer.
You took this serious? :lol:

"Only the last model Celica had actual performance upgrades in it's GT-S model with their own version of "Vtec"..."

The All Trac had way more tricks up it's sleeve.
you seem to have missed the first part of his post about the alltrac

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Honda is alot cheaper and easier to work with.. Parts are more avail when you need it.. Swaps can be done in 1 days with hell of aftermarket support....

Celica on the other hands.....well... It looks fast..

·
Registered
432 Posts
its not about the power the motor makes, you have to also take into consideration the car it goes in. my 95 hatch with a fresh gsr swap, intake ,exhaust, clutch, chip, and suspension mods, which are basic mods for a swapped car, run 13.9 in the 1/4. then adding a cheap ebay turbo kit, changing a few parts from the kit to more reliable ones , dsm injectors and a good set of tires, the car run 12.6 with just under 300whp. a few more mods to the motor, proper suspension, traction bars and stage 4 drive shafts, plus a really good tune, the car run last summer 11.8 after making just over 345whp. this year the motor is built, making around 200 whp MORE than last year, i cant wait to see whats coming. then im probably selling it for a new project, this time awd or rwd.

now i dont have much experience with celicas but im not sure if it would be as easy to get where my civic got, with the same money and time invested in it.

·
Custom User Title
974 Posts
Oh i completely agree that FWD is wrong but you know how the younger crowd is that are involved in hondas and other FWD cars. I'm just suprised that you don't see this car more often.
So basically you're on a mission to find someone just dumb enough to throw money at a shitty fwd platform, but smart enough to realize its better to perform a relatively easy engine swap than to try to modify the stock engine? :nuts:

Yeah good luck with that...

·
Glad to be back
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So basically you're on a mission to find someone just dumb enough to throw money at a shitty fwd platform, but smart enough to realize its better to perform a relatively easy engine swap than to try to modify the stock engine? :nuts:

Yeah good luck with that...
No. I was just wondering why it wasn't more popular.

Read the thread.

·
Glad to be back
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting how everyone is ignoring the topic at hand (Well TNH touched upon it a little bit).

The question is about Celica being ignored for the sake of Civic's and Integra's.

Funny thing is- I was about to post a thread "94+ Integra vs. 94+ Celica" and see what people thought.

I'm in the market for a fun FWD car because it has to be an all-year car and withstand the snow in the Northeast.

SO mazx6- I think the reason is that the Honda's are a built with a bit more "performance" in mind as opposed to the comparable year Celica or Corolla. The honda's sit lower, and offer SI/GSR/TypeR models of their "econo" cars. Toyota only throws on tupperware and calls the corolla an "S" model.

Of course this is up to opinion, but I favor the Civic/Integra look over the 94+ celica/corolla look. The civic is lower/wider than a corolla. The 94+ celica can look nice when it has a lip and skirt (starts looking like a supra actually, even the interior is "wraparound" like the Supra).

I was going to post and ask how the 94-99 Celica's handled and felt. I am doubting (before a test drive, mind you) the seats, the shift feel, the steering response, etc. is as good as even a simple LS Integra but I wanted some opinions.

I think (especially lately) the Toyota's are more reliable though, given their motors have timing chains now and don't have the leaky valve cover seal issues of the B motors nor the other F-series honda issues I've read of.
Before I bought my first supra I had a 94' Celica GT. Its was actually turned me on to the supra. The celica felt great, shifted great, seats felt great (leather). I really enjoyed the car. It was just slow though.

I've driven hondas and personally I don't think they compare.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
i think the main reason that honda's gained popularity is cause everthing is interchangable, from 88-2000 civics, 90-01 integra's, all delsol's, relatively easy swaps to h22's, accords and predules being all interchangable. not only does this give alot of options to the enduser for powertrain, but it also makes it easy for the aftermarket to develop parts for it. so now there is a crapload of powertrain options and an infinity and a half of aftermarket parts available for it. there are also millions of ebay parts for it, most of them don't work, but alot, dare i say most, don't care, they just wanna throw crap on their car. not to mention that there are alot of models available, where as the celica is only one car.

and after then initial gain in popularity, all the other kids jumped ont he bandwagon...

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
its not about the power the motor makes, you have to also take into consideration the car it goes in. my 95 hatch with a fresh gsr swap, intake ,exhaust, clutch, chip, and suspension mods, which are basic mods for a swapped car, run 13.9 in the 1/4. then adding a cheap ebay turbo kit, changing a few parts from the kit to more reliable ones , dsm injectors and a good set of tires, the car run 12.6 with just under 300whp. a few more mods to the motor, proper suspension, traction bars and stage 4 drive shafts, plus a really good tune, the car run last summer 11.8 after making just over 345whp. this year the motor is built, making around 200 whp MORE than last year, i cant wait to see whats coming. then im probably selling it for a new project, this time awd or rwd.

now i dont have much experience with celicas but im not sure if it would be as easy to get where my civic got, with the same money and time invested in it.
actually, an na 200whp honda can go 12's on the right tires if the driver know's what he's doing, you don't need 300whp for that, honda's are easy to make really light...

a friend of mine has a 215 whp eg hatch, he runs pretty consistant mid 12's on slicks

1 - 20 of 419 Posts