Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
JZA is best f**k the rest
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to know if you guys are happy w/the setup. How much work did it require? I am considering selling my single setup and going back to the twins, like a BPU 1JZ. I know that rebuilding a set of B's will be cheaper than upgrading the A's.

Jake

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,376 Posts
All the lag of a single and none of the power. :hs:

Why do you wanna sell your single setup. Seems like working backwards to me!

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
toyotech01 said:
Just wanted to know if you guys are happy w/the setup. How much work did it require? I am considering selling my single setup and going back to the twins, like a BPU 1JZ. I know that rebuilding a set of B's will be cheaper than upgrading the A's.

Jake
I heard they make decent power and does not rrquire too much fab work

·
JZA is best f**k the rest
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know it doesn't make sense to most people, for a daily driver my single setup is kind of annoying. I was just thinking of the idea of 400+ to the wheels and that sounds perfectly ok with me. I understand that the CT12B's will lag more than the A's but surely they can make more power. This is just something I was thinking about today, definitely nothing set in stone. LMK what you guys think.

Suprastanger those KKK26's are the shit :nutkickhi

Jake

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,376 Posts
why not just get a smaller turbo that will still spool faster than CT12Bs and make the same if not more power?

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,376 Posts
oh btw moe. I HATE YOU. GIVE ME THOSE!

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
I agree with you.
A lot of power is nice when you are constantly using it. I use my car as a daily driver, and I really enjoy the twins for my daily drive.
In my opinion, 400-450 hp is enough for a car that is used daily.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
OneJoeZee said:
oh btw moe. I HATE YOU. GIVE ME THOSE!
Do you want the Blue MKIII the turboes are sitting on??? j/k lol
I got them from our local Joe, aka Performance :)

btw, Jeff
I have been thinking about these fo a while and this guy "EPIK" gave some really valuable information on how to get these on the car.
Something to give you some other options as well.

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=370746

Moe.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
what about CT26/12a's. i think im going to look into that... can you say; 600rwhp on pump gas at 16psi?

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
flubyux2 said:
what about CT26/12a's. i think im going to look into that... can you say; 600rwhp on pump gas at 16psi?
Somewhere it was already discussed about the ct26 not being the best in a twin setup. But then a lot of people speculate most of the time anyways. If you can do it and get it to a good hp number, that would be freaking awesome.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,376 Posts
I think you'd have lag from hell with twin CT26s. if CT12Bs spool at 4000, imagine where 26s would spool. >_<

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
ive been mulling over a bunch of different combos.

MR2 turbos/housings; built for 2.0L displacment, laggier than 12B housings
12B housings; built for half of 3.0L displacment, laggier than 12A housings
12A housings; built for half of 2.5L displacment, fastest spooling, smallest AR and turbine.
installing 12A housings on CT26; over 0.5" diameter difference and require too much material to be removed to fit... IF the v-band flange mates to the cartridge.

do we know if the lag of the 12B's is caused by the larger exhaust housings than the 12A's? i dont have any 12A's off that i can measure right now.

i know the cold sides of the 12B's are larger than the 12A's. its proven that larger compressor wheels on the same exhaust wheel and housing will created additional lag. So, either 12B's lag is caused by: larger cold side weighing down the same sized hot side; larger cold side and steel exhaust wheel weiging down the whole assy; or larger cold side in combination w/ the steel turbine inside of a larger exhaust housing.

im sure the 12A hotside will mate to the cartridge of the 12B... by all means, it should since they are the same class turbo. in the same fashion, toyota retained the same turbine wheel size in the CT26 class between the 3SGTE and 7MGTE but changed turbine housing AR. soo, im lead to beleive that the 12A turbine wheel is the same size as the 12B wheel, which is 52mm Major and 44mm Minor. changing the cold side seems to be Toyota's thing, since the 3SGTE Gen1 and Gen2 use the same class turbo as the 7MGTE but has a larger compressor wheel and exhaust housing.

soo... basically, trying to fit the 12A exhaust housings and Ypipe between the 12B turbos. has anyone tried this yet? i mean, ive got a set of 12B's and a set of 12A's, so technically, i can go TRY this out. but id rather not rip the 12A's off the 1j to find out that it doesnt work if someone else has already tried it.

oh, and as far as the dual CT26's... i had another idea. 7MGTE CT26's w/ MR2 exhaust housings... in sequential. all it takes is a Hobb's switch, solenoids, vaccum lines, Tee's, EGCV and pressure resivoir... so, the principle behind it is simple. Use a full 2.5 liters to spool the front CT26 w/ MR2 housing. then at 10psi (or whatever pressure you want), the EGCV opens up and the cross-over occurs bringing the 2nd turbo online.

I can set it up to funnel ALL 6 exhaust pulses to the front turbo till it spools up and hits 3800 rpm. an RPM activated switch will energize one side of the Hobb's switch. when the hobb's switch hits my desired pressure, itll allow pressure held in the tank to pass thru the vaccum lines. from there, itll pressurize the diaphragm on the EGCV and allow exhaust gas to pass thru the rear turbine. after 3800 rpm with positive manifold pressure, there should be enough exhaust energy to bring the 2nd turbo online quickly, in spite of the 2.5L displacment.

the execution of this would be about as fabrication-intensive as doing 12B's w/ a custom Y-pipe and such as well as custom inlet pipes and charge pipes. i just have to do an adaptor flange from 1jz manifold to CT26 turbine flange... then itll bolt on to the manifolds. from there, i just have to add a bellow between the 2 1jz manifolds so that cyl's 4,5,6 can feed into the front manifold. thats as simple as cutting a hole w/ a cut-off wheel and boring it w/ a die grinder and carbide bit. from there, a matter of brazing is in order to affix the bellow. after that, just order a pair of CT26 DP flanges, and find a way to install the 2jz EGCV.

yes, its alot of work.... but i love a challenge! plus, the fact that a pair of CT26's can flow enough air to support 500ish RWHP on pumpgas. the fact that itd be in sequential mode would sweeten the deal. all the power w/ less of the lag! these turbos are cheap and undesirable to most of the crowd. but the fact they flow enough air for 300rwhp on 15psi and pump gas PER TURBO is beautiful in itself.

anyways, ive rambled enough w/ my pipe dreams... ill look at those 12A housings on the 12B turbos unless i hear from someone who's tried it already.

·
Now with 0JZ
1,185 Posts
That's an interesting idea. I was toying with the idea of a custom sequential system myself, and agreed, it's a little more difficult, but really, not THAT bad.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Whew!!!! Flubyux2 my head hurts, but I did read that full post and it was very interesting. You do make some very interesting points and it just may work if done right.
I want to keep it simpler just for the fact that I would like to have my car up and running a bit quicker or start missing it lol.

·
GT40 1.5JZ
1,210 Posts
toyotech01 said:
I know it doesn't make sense to most people, for a daily driver my single setup is kind of annoying. I was just thinking of the idea of 400+ to the wheels and that sounds perfectly ok with me. I understand that the CT12B's will lag more than the A's but surely they can make more power. This is just something I was thinking about today, definitely nothing set in stone. LMK what you guys think.

Suprastanger those KKK26's are the shit :nutkickhi

Jake

I know for sure that the ct12b's make more power. I dyno'ed them at 10psi on my BPU 1JZ, and I made 302rwhp. 10psi was my limit at the time, since I have a FAT boost leak. I was able to push them up to 19psi daily, and still make HP, but never got it dyno'ed at the boost level.

flubyux2 said:
ive been mulling over a bunch of different combos.

MR2 turbos/housings; built for 2.0L displacment, laggier than 12B housings
12B housings; built for half of 3.0L displacment, laggier than 12A housings
12A housings; built for half of 2.5L displacment, fastest spooling, smallest AR and turbine.
installing 12A housings on CT26; over 0.5" diameter difference and require too much material to be removed to fit... IF the v-band flange mates to the cartridge.

do we know if the lag of the 12B's is caused by the larger exhaust housings than the 12A's? i dont have any 12A's off that i can measure right now.

i know the cold sides of the 12B's are larger than the 12A's. its proven that larger compressor wheels on the same exhaust wheel and housing will created additional lag. So, either 12B's lag is caused by: larger cold side weighing down the same sized hot side; larger cold side and steel exhaust wheel weiging down the whole assy; or larger cold side in combination w/ the steel turbine inside of a larger exhaust housing.

im sure the 12A hotside will mate to the cartridge of the 12B... by all means, it should since they are the same class turbo. in the same fashion, toyota retained the same turbine wheel size in the CT26 class between the 3SGTE and 7MGTE but changed turbine housing AR. soo, im lead to beleive that the 12A turbine wheel is the same size as the 12B wheel, which is 52mm Major and 44mm Minor. changing the cold side seems to be Toyota's thing, since the 3SGTE Gen1 and Gen2 use the same class turbo as the 7MGTE but has a larger compressor wheel and exhaust housing.

soo... basically, trying to fit the 12A exhaust housings and Ypipe between the 12B turbos. has anyone tried this yet? i mean, ive got a set of 12B's and a set of 12A's, so technically, i can go TRY this out. but id rather not rip the 12A's off the 1j to find out that it doesnt work if someone else has already tried it.

oh, and as far as the dual CT26's... i had another idea. 7MGTE CT26's w/ MR2 exhaust housings... in sequential. all it takes is a Hobb's switch, solenoids, vaccum lines, Tee's, EGCV and pressure resivoir... so, the principle behind it is simple. Use a full 2.5 liters to spool the front CT26 w/ MR2 housing. then at 10psi (or whatever pressure you want), the EGCV opens up and the cross-over occurs bringing the 2nd turbo online.

I can set it up to funnel ALL 6 exhaust pulses to the front turbo till it spools up and hits 3800 rpm. an RPM activated switch will energize one side of the Hobb's switch. when the hobb's switch hits my desired pressure, itll allow pressure held in the tank to pass thru the vaccum lines. from there, itll pressurize the diaphragm on the EGCV and allow exhaust gas to pass thru the rear turbine. after 3800 rpm with positive manifold pressure, there should be enough exhaust energy to bring the 2nd turbo online quickly, in spite of the 2.5L displacment.

the execution of this would be about as fabrication-intensive as doing 12B's w/ a custom Y-pipe and such as well as custom inlet pipes and charge pipes. i just have to do an adaptor flange from 1jz manifold to CT26 turbine flange... then itll bolt on to the manifolds. from there, i just have to add a bellow between the 2 1jz manifolds so that cyl's 4,5,6 can feed into the front manifold. thats as simple as cutting a hole w/ a cut-off wheel and boring it w/ a die grinder and carbide bit. from there, a matter of brazing is in order to affix the bellow. after that, just order a pair of CT26 DP flanges, and find a way to install the 2jz EGCV.

yes, its alot of work.... but i love a challenge! plus, the fact that a pair of CT26's can flow enough air to support 500ish RWHP on pumpgas. the fact that itd be in sequential mode would sweeten the deal. all the power w/ less of the lag! these turbos are cheap and undesirable to most of the crowd. but the fact they flow enough air for 300rwhp on 15psi and pump gas PER TURBO is beautiful in itself.

anyways, ive rambled enough w/ my pipe dreams... ill look at those 12A housings on the 12B turbos unless i hear from someone who's tried it already.
the ct12b exhaust housing is consiberably larger than the 12a. it's been looked over... SEARCH is the key

the ct12b is an overall larger turbo... period

IIRC, the shafts were differently sized, so you wouldn't be able to mate the two to make a hybrid. check with cary (rgguy) and the function SEARCH

IIRD, the exhaust housing from the 12A won't work on the 12b.

cool idea, but probably more headache than it needs to be

[insert response here]

[insert response here]

I've tried it, and I was happy with the 12b's for awhile.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts