Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am receiving calls from them in regards to an old power bill from my old apartment. According to them, they have sent out two letters -which I have not received- informing me of my balance of approximately $200. I informed the woman on the phone that I fully intend to pay my balance- just as soon as I have written, documented proof that I do owe the money and that Alliance One owns this debt.

The call then degraded into the most unprofessional call I have ever had in my life. The person on the other end was taunting me, laughing at me and at one point, when I asked her to please act a little more professional, said ''What does how I say things have to do with it at all?"

I requested she transfer me to her supervisor. I was told it would do no good. I insisted. I was hung up on. I called back, I was sent to a busy number. I called back again, I was sent to a busy number.

I refuse to pay money to a voice over the phone with no documented proof for my own records or reassurance. She informed me that by the time the next bill was sent, they would have already put a mark on my credit report. I informed her that that is why I had the ability to dispute the mark. She then laughed and said ''Dispute it all you want, only we can remove it and you can't do anything about it'' or something to that effect.

Has anyone else had dealings with these unprofessional vampires?

·
mount /dev/disk1s10 FFUU
903 Posts
I am receiving calls from them in regards to an old power bill from my old apartment. According to them, they have sent out two letters -which I have not received- informing me of my balance of approximately $200. I informed the woman on the phone that I fully intend to pay my balance- just as soon as I have written, documented proof that I do owe the money and that Alliance One owns this debt.

The call then degraded into the most unprofessional call I have ever had in my life. The person on the other end was taunting me, laughing at me and at one point, when I asked her to please act a little more professional, said ''What does how I say things have to do with it at all?"

I requested she transfer me to her supervisor. I was told it would do no good. I insisted. I was hung up on. I called back, I was sent to a busy number. I called back again, I was sent to a busy number.

I refuse to pay money to a voice over the phone with no documented proof for my own records or reassurance. She informed me that by the time the next bill was sent, they would have already put a mark on my credit report. I informed her that that is why I had the ability to dispute the mark. She then laughed and said ''Dispute it all you want, only we can remove it and you can't do anything about it'' or something to that effect.

Has anyone else had dealings with these unprofessional vampires?
Well, ive been in the same situation before.. I hate collections agencies.. scare tactics and all they do is throw bullshit in your face..

Talk directly to the power company and ask for the details of what collection agency took over the claim. When they call back ask to speak to a supervisor immediately

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried that. They say they sold the debt. I just have a bad feeling about paying someone with no documentation and a refusal to send documentation.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Call them back, when the operator picks up say that you were just on the line with a supervisor (you can say you think his name was "mike", but aren't sure) and that your cell phone dropped the call.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Call them back, when the operator picks up say that you were just on the line with a supervisor (you can say you think his name was "mike", but aren't sure) and that your cell phone dropped the call.
Doesn't work. They always call with an unknown ID. I have one phone number directly to the person that I've been talking to but she refuses to provide her name. I found their corporate website, gonna try and use that.

Am I wrong for not wanting to pay this until I have documentation?

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
Doesn't work. They always call with an unknown ID. I have one phone number directly to the person that I've been talking to but she refuses to provide her name. I found their corporate website, gonna try and use that.

You are not wrong, but keep in mind you are probably creating more problems down the road. Why have your credit dinged and go through the process and hassle of clearing it over $200?

If a mosquito bites you, swat the thing and move on with your life. Why get yourself riled up over a GED minimum wage phone operator? They are at the bottom of society and completely beneath you and me...

·
Not associated with ^^
501 Posts

Hell no, they should be more than understanding and willing to provide that info so that they can get paid. That bitch on the phone should be required to transfer the call to a manager.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are not wrong, but keep in mind you are probably creating more problems down the road. Why have your credit dinged and go through the process and hassle of clearing it over $200?

Why get yourself riled up over a GED minimum wage phone operator?

They are at the bottom of society and completely beneath you and me...
My credit is stellar. $200 is not going to hurt it too much, especially when I dispute it and go through that entire process. In this day and age it is irresponsible to pay something without this kind of documentation. I mean hell, I could call random people and start demanding money.

·
Not associated with ^^
501 Posts

If a mosquito bites you, swat the thing and move on with your life. Why get yourself riled up over a GED minimum wage phone operator? They are at the bottom of society and completely beneath you and me...
I think he was more worried about them not being a legit operation than the 200 bucks he owes.

·
4,109 Posts
Do you in fact owe the utility $200?
If so, I wish you luck; you will have to pay it, especially if they sold the debt. I went through something similar back in the day, and it is the main reason I will NEVER be late again if I can help it. Collection agencies are the absolute worst to deal with. Think 'anonymous repo men' and you pretty much have the description of all collection agents.

Pay it if you can, but make sure you get a receipt/confirmaton#, etc. Then you can write the reporting agencies and send them copies of your documentation. A hassle, yes, but take it from me, bad credit makes your life miserable. And I have had my credit 'dinged' to the tune of 100+ points over a $235 Bellsouth Mobility bill...

·
Champagne Papi
5,687 Posts
My biggest pet peeve is when I'm speaking to someone who is unprofessional. Since age 15.. I've had my own bank account. I would call the bank and they would assume I'm some retarded kid and would talk to me about my accounts like I was their buddy or something. Sorry just had to vent.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow... awesome to see some people fight the good fight.
Well, let me put it to you this way:

I went from a 400 credit score to a 750+ in under two years. That was with a $1400 charge off (that was later paid) on my account.

By law, they are required to send me documentation and prove to me and others that they have done such. So far, I have received nothing and I will not put money into the hands of a potential scam until I have proof that this is legit. What's to say that two months after paying it I don't get a call from some other company expecting payment for the same thing?

In the end, it's the principle of the thing.

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
My biggest pet peeve is when I'm speaking to someone who is unprofessional. Since age 15.. I've had my own bank account. I would call the bank and they would assume I'm some retarded kid and would talk to me about my accounts like I was their buddy or something. Sorry just had to vent.
If you had a deep voice... ;)
In the end, it's the principle of the thing.
I know. It's nice to see someone stick to his principles. Me... I just avoid trouble as long as there is a way to recoup the money (i.e. pay with a CC... )

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tell them to fuck off
The funny part is that I was steering the conversation and attacking her professionalism in such a way that she probably wasn't far from doing that. I can not express how terrible this woman was. Laughing at my comments, heckling me, threats.

Of course, it probably doesn't help that when she talked to my wife yesterday, my wife called the woman a cunt. In the wife's defense, this was in the middle of a contraction.

Ah well, we'll be leaving for the hospital here within the hour to get her induced. I'm almost tempted to hold off just so I can hear my wife go at the woman again.

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
There is a federal law that says you can request all communication be made through mail.

If this changes into harassment, then I suggest you start voice-recording the phone calls.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, if we don't give birth tonight I'll be doing some research on fair debt collection. I'll win this either way. I was just wondering if anyone else had had experience with these fools.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts