Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heads up everyone, I posted a WTB ad here on the forum for a L&R discontinued quarter glass set. Some one grabbed my email and sent me one acting as another supraforum member helping me locate the parts. Provided the contact info and all for the seller with a good seller reference. I emailed the individual and received pics of Supra quarter glass (probably online image grabs). I attempted to pay and my funds were immediately refunded by the seller. The seller emailed me back asking me to send it his wife’s account also since his was having issues. I attempted and PayPal blocked the transfer. The seller emailed me back and provided two more accounts to try. I did not reply and his responses grew angrier and more frequent. Clearly this was a scam. seller would not talk or text, only email.

I have sold and purchased s*** ton of stuff online and on the forums, this was by far the weirdest interaction I’ve ever had. After looking back there was other warning signs that I ignored (rambling impatient emails, no clear detailed photos as his phone was broke apparently, suspect responses to requests) but sometimes you have to take a chance when discontinued parts are offered for sale. luckily PayPal refunded.

Im assuming this guy has x amount of account PayPal user and passwords with some intent to transfer proceeds to his/ her bank account.

I can share emails privately if anyone has a similar issue.

stay safe out there

·
Registered
734 Posts
sir, I'm sorry this happened to you, and luckily you didn't lose anything.

This issue is pretty rampant anywhere- CL,offerup, forums, everytime I post up a WTB or even a FS ad, there is always someone who emails me or PMs me and says so and so has this part, email him or her at this email, or I've gotten the "I have this part" and image grab from some website or another forum or whatever...

The easiest way to flush this a*holes out is usually, to ask them to take a photo with a written paper of their name, and a today's date.

Usually, they will say ok and never come back with that said pic, or in another instance, they will convince you that they are God fearing Christians or Buddhists and just trust them because their phone camera is broke. Or some shit.

Like you said, you got to stay clear of this mofos and be cautious.

Rishi

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ajgibson528

·
Super Moderator
10,450 Posts
This has been an enduring problem, which is why two of the six sticky threads at the top of the FS section discuss WTB ads being targeted by scammers.

I strongly encourage contact via PM's to establish bonafides. I'm glad you didn't get taken!

Paypal fucks up a lot of things, so sometimes honest sellers/buyers are stuck with limited options, but anyone that needs you to try a second/third/fourth paypal address is clearly a fucking shady ass motherfucker.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I operated in another space online riddled with scammers for a number of years but the stakes were higher as one counterparty was always sending internet funny money that couldn’t be reversed.

Looking for discontinued Supra parts can be dangerous

Anyone that rushes you is probably scamming you 100% always

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
it is everywhere.. I literally just posted about this in the Supra groups in FB.

I had someone try to pay me through FB... the FB TOS is a POS (Piece of S**t). the seller gets paid 5 days AFTER the buyer receives and confirms that they receive the package. I cancelled the FB payment and sent him a Paypal business invoice... the excuses started to roll in like godzilla coming into land why he could not pay.

Luckily I am in no rush but something was off from the get go.

·
From the land down under
4,432 Posts
Such a shame that this is becoming such a common thing these days.

Unless the person letting me know about a part for sale is a long standing member with a good reputation, I treat them all as scammers.

Glad to hear that you didnt lose your money in the end.

P.S I bought a pair of brand new quarter windows yesterday but it was the sellers last set. These parts are becoming so hard to source nowadays so as soon as I saw the listing, I hit the buy now straight away, as it may have been my last chance to get them, and lets be honest, who wants to go to the bother and expense of doing a full respray with all new weather strips and moldings, only to still have old quarter glass trims :(

·
Administrator
9,000 Posts
did you report the user?

·
Super Moderator
10,450 Posts
did you report the user?
From the sound of things, the scammer just scooped up his email address and emailed him directly, pretending to be an SF user. Likely the scammer doesn't even have an account.

Any chance we could make the FS sections invisible unless you're logged in? That would instantly solve this problem.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,688 Posts
I have sold and purchased s*** ton of stuff online and on the forums
Yea, like almost every part in a Supra ;). I don't think Adam's Supra has any of the original parts in it still. Well, maybe the frame, but if he sees a shiny new one, he'll buy that too.

Sounds like PayPal had your back...rejecting the payments. Glad you didn't lose anything.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,688 Posts
Any chance we could make the FS sections invisible unless you're logged in?
Or the WTB/wanted section. That one seems to be the prime target.

Reactions: Mr Ree NZ

·
Just a guy who loves cars
94' Turbo, Targa, 6 spd, Ren Red.
404 Posts
I just got quarter glass too for the same reason as NZ, I am doing a full respray. I think my body shop found two sets because they wanted to be sure we ended up with one. I can check and I may have a second set the OP can have for whatever I paid.
-Chappy

Reactions: Mr Ree NZ

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’ve been scammed before(not here) and it makes me wonder how these scammers sleep at night knowing they stole someone’s money.

By the way, I thought quarter glass was still available from dealers. Unless OP wanted the hardtop ones.

·
Just a guy who loves cars
94' Turbo, Targa, 6 spd, Ren Red.
404 Posts
Hardtop and targa quarter glass is different? I had no idea.

·
Inline for the win
4,755 Posts
Similar instance in my case. See below.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea, like almost every part in a Supra ;). I don't think Adam's Supra has any of the original parts in it still. Well, maybe the frame, but if he sees a shiny new one, he'll buy that too.

Sounds like PayPal had your back...rejecting the payments. Glad you didn't lose anything.
Guilty 😬

·
Registered
564 Posts
I go the extra mile and pay via PayPal and a PayPal branded credit card. So if I ever need to get my money back I’m calling MasterCard not PayPal; it’s saved my ass regardless of friends vs. business protection thing.

I think it’s a really bad terrible horrible idea making people post their email addresses on a public forum. Especially if it’s supposed to be some safe trusted space.

In terms of accepting payments from strangers on the internet you are obviously rolling the dice getting scammed unless you’re getting paid in crypto or cash in hand. Everything else can be clawed back.

Thanks to PayPal in this case, no complaints no way I’d ever trust it tho for 5 figures or anything that by law requires KYC

@figgie I saw your Facebook post. Username suddenly makes sense

you (sorry, any person) aren’t getting your money back with zelle or any other app that links via ACH or debit card, that money is gone

·
Registered
97 Posts
Damn, good thing you caught it before loosing anything. If there a way to scam, scammers will take advantage. Damn scum!
Thank you for posting this as a way to tell others to keep their eyes open.

·
Super Moderator
10,610 Posts
Or the WTB/wanted section. That one seems to be the prime target.
This is true. Last week. I permanently banned @bryan07, who had gone through the entire WTB section requesting OPs to email so and so. It got so bad, I had to ban him before I could catch up to him and delete all of his posts.

There were probably 30 such posts. Taken together, he would have had to have a Toyota warehouse full of parts in order to effectively service all those WTB threads. Let's stay alert people, since the vetting of new members is virtually non-existent and this board is highly vulnerable as a result.

Ken.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Is there a ratings system here slash web of trust?

Trading needs to happen behind closed doors where scammers are kept in the dark and can’t subvert or MITM the transaction.

@Wreckless made the best suggestion imho but I do not know how you implement such a thing :(

1 - 20 of 34 Posts