Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I nearly ended up with an engine fire today.

I was driving home from work which is aprox. 40 miles, when i entered the parking lot infront of my appartment my car started smoking badly and i could smell power-steering fluid. Hmm, how the hell does that stuff smoke i thought and went looking into the enginebay with my fire-extinguisher ready, smoke came from the down pipe. I had a friend turn the steering-wheel after an hour to check for leaks and a steady stream of converter oil found its way from one of the power-steering pipes directly onto my downpipe.. phew this could have gone horribly wrong! At least i didnt have to replace the complete power-steering pinion rack this time... i did that last year and they are out of production now :(

·
*I see you*
668 Posts
Bummer. I had the exact same thing happen once. Mine didn't catch on fire either. Good thing you had the extinguisher. Could have been nasty if it did catch on fire.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah estinguishers are great :) only problem with mine is that the powder coming out of it is kinda corrosive and gets into every little hole it sees. At least so i heard.

·
Banned
1,062 Posts
My turbo blanket caught on fire once on the free. Had a small leak on the feed line, and the blanket soaked up oil till it caught on fire. Was pretty scary but did damage anything except the blanket, which was amazing. But lucky you didn't get a big fire!

Seth

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
lucky...

I saw a supra in the junkyard (it was more being stored there) that had a VERY nasty underhood fire from power steering...

·
Got 2JZ MkIII???
244 Posts
i had the same thing happen on a cruise, every supra owner with a extinguisher came running but it was a false alarm hehe...got the heart racing though! that was back when i was running a 7m though...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts