Supra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kimi Räikkönen had led most of the race. He flat spotted his right front tire braking for a corner, with about 10 laps to go, which eventually started vibrating the front end and as he was leading the race and in the last lap the right front tire finally let go and broke up the suspension and it all came apart with the wheel and tire only being held on by the steel tether cable. Truli (Toyota) was in the third spot at the start and his mechanics team didn't get off of the track soon enough, before the start, so he got a penalty drive through the pits which put him back to about 9th or 10th and he finished 8th in the bottom of the points. His team mate Ralf Schumacher was out in an accident that involved several cars in the first turn of a restart. The restart was due to a stalled car from the first start. Will Toyota ever win???

The next F1 GP is in Montreal, Canada on June 12th then one week later the races will be at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in the USA..

These races are early in the morning. I was up at 4AM and the race started around 4:45AM way too early for the most of you young'ens...haha... There is a replay on speed at 9:30AM here in the NW.

Here is a nice write up of the race.
http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=87879

Picture is of accident in first turn of the restart, which got the Ralf Schumacher Toyota.

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can someone please explain to me why Kimi Raikkonen is listed as finishing 11th when he didn't finish the race and was out in the last lap because of his right front tire problem and his crash into the retaining wall???
http://www.formula1.com/race/result/738/8.html

KimiR crash...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Toyota is doing well for being so new to F1 if you ask me. I keep missing the races on Speed TV. Jarno is a good driver but he is still learning.

We should have an F1 party for the last race of the season!

-Dave

·
Administrator
17,266 Posts
That was a pretty exciting race for sure, and I was disappointed to not see a real Alonso versus Raikkonen duel on the last lap since Alonso was catching up to him awfully fast with the tire problem.

The reason that Raikkonen is listed as finishing 11th is because he covered more distance than the cars listed in positions 12-20 since the race effectively ends when the leader crosses the finish line and all those who are a lap down or beyond don't get to automatically make up the laps they were left behind. Since he covered more total distance, he was classified as 11th despite the wreck. This concept makes more sense in an endurance race like LeMans when you're talking about someone completing 300 laps to another cars 295 (for instance), but the same logic applies here.

Toyota may yet see a victory or at least pole this season yet. Don't lose hope! It's definitely a break through year for them. :)

Steve T.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts