Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read several remarks, posts, jokes, comments on what is better, what is faster...
I used to have 97 TT auto, sold it :(
then owned a 91 300zx TT 5spd... selling it Friday...(to get another supra)
I was really dead set on getting a 6spd, but all the good deals are with auto right now, and I am trying to hold back and wait for that 6spd deal to come through...
now I am undecided as to if i should really just wait out for that 6spd or go for the auto as both are awesome, but after driving a stick, I don't know if I want to go back to auto because it is so much fun to drive... (although my 97 TT auto was awesome as well!)
I know either way I am going to get a great car... just wanted to poll some of ya'lls opinions and see what everyone had to say about AUTO vs. MANUAL...

Cathy

·
Defender of the Universe
463 Posts
youll get tons of opinions/facts on why each is better than the other, and probably in the end none of this will change your mind anyway. If you really enjoy 6 speeds, then get one and have fun with it, I have a feeling if you enjoy manuals and end up getting an auto, one day youll regret not having waited it out

Ray - happy auto owner :p

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
It all depends on personal preference.... I don't care what anybody else says about which one is better .. and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

It's arguable that each transmission type has it's own respected place to excel in.

As for drag racing, an automatic transmission can obviously shift quicker then a human, so take that into consideration. Titan Motorsports dropped a few tenths off of their fastest ET when they went from the Supra 6spd to the PowerGlide they now run.

Obviously the Titan Supra is a full blown race car, so naturally they are out to be as fast as possible cause thats the business they are in, so the "fun" of it isn't as important. However, in many cases, the more "fun" transmission type is the manual transmission..... but thats starts into personal opinion again.

Like I said, you could go back and forth about this issue forever and everyone will have a different say about it. If you've owned both a manual and an auto, then you've got expereince with both. What kind of driving/goals do you have for the car? That might help with determining the transmission type you would most like. :)

CraigK

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
auto=consistent drag times and quicker shifting for drag

manual=more fun to drive..."cool factor" :rolleyes: and better for autox IMO

·
1st Lieutenant Team BEYAW
1,915 Posts
like the above said, its all about categories and opinions....

if you have fun and love manuals, you will probably not have as much fun in an auto.....but if you want to aim more at drag racing, the auto may be a better route. but like you said, the deals are in the autos, the 6spds seem to pull a premium because of the "cool" factor. its all going to be your choice, and in the end, waiting tends to be the best route...

proud 6spd owner

·
Sudafed can't kill me.
980 Posts
Craig King said:
It all depends on personal preference.... I don't care what anybody else says about which one is better .. and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

It's arguable that each transmission type has it's own respected place to excel in.

As for drag racing, an automatic transmission can obviously shift quicker then a human, so take that into consideration. Titan Motorsports dropped a few tenths off of their fastest ET when they went from the Supra 6spd to the PowerGlide they now run.

Obviously the Titan Supra is a full blown race car, so naturally they are out to be as fast as possible cause thats the business they are in, so the "fun" of it isn't as important. However, in many cases, the more "fun" transmission type is the manual transmission..... but thats starts into personal opinion again.

Like I said, you could go back and forth about this issue forever and everyone will have a different say about it. If you've owned both a manual and an auto, then you've got expereince with both. What kind of driving/goals do you have for the car? That might help with determining the transmission type you would most like. :)

CraigK

What he said. :)

·
Big Member
707 Posts
my opinion would be the 6speed. i personally to control the shifting, it gives me a little more feel for the car

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I bought an auto since 6spds are really hard to find in Canada. Although I had no complaints about it, I swapped it a few months ago to a 6spd. I don't do any racing, so this car is only for fun. I would personnally never go back to an auto, simple because the 6spd is so much more fun. If I were into drag racing, I probably would have just kept the auto, but since I'm not, the 6spd makes the car an incredibly fun experience.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how much does it cost to convert an auto to a 6spd? how long does it take..?

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
Not THIS topic again.. :sleep:

SEARCH

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
Greg Bielawski said:
A LOT, and it's not a straight forward job either. Buy a 6spd up front. It'll cost you less in the long run.
:werd:

I like manuals.. but I am usually limited to autos.

You try driving manual cars with size 17 shoes :(

I'd love to have a manual supra, but will prolly have to get an auto.. I don't think the pedal spacing would accomodate me :(

·
Very Senior Member
10,058 Posts
The other consideration is what type of driving you do mostly.
My Supra is my daily driver and the auto is much better in stop/go driving.

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
*To make the thread more interesting, and new lol*...

...What is your favorite time to accelerate/shift?

I've had a friend tell me he loves to acc. up a steep hill because he feels he's defying gravity and such...

...I know I myself love to keep the rev's high (staying in a lower gear like 2nd or 3rd) before coming into a turn and using that power to force my way through and shift at the very end before I am straight again...basically just shift while turning lol.

But yea, everything has been layed out as far as Swapping Trans, Why Auto is better, etc etc.

You know you like manual more, so wait it out!

·
D u a l s t a r
534 Posts
VickSupra said:
The other consideration is what type of driving you do mostly.
My Supra is my daily driver and the auto is much better in stop/go driving.
I actually can't stand an automatic transmission in stop and go driving. The delay from the tourque converter pisses me off when I want to inch forward. But to each his own.

·
Kancho Battle Garage
850 Posts
Doesnt the torque converter rob lots of Hp to the wheel's?

·
King Ding-a-ling!
3,195 Posts
Everything the guys stated above is true... sounds like you want the 6 speed! I want to know why you sold your 97 auto and bought a 300Z? Whay again a change of heart?

Brandon

·
Administrator
4,972 Posts
TE27Levin said:
Doesnt the torque converter rob lots of Hp to the wheel's?
It sure does when it's not locked, but it still allows you to put down the power that's not robbed more effectively and you can leave the line with boost.

Auto's are better for straight line and in my opinion can still hold their own through the twisties. A 6-speed does have a little more of a fun factor to it, but its also a lot of fun to rape a 6-speed off the line and then keep going.

See location. :D

·
Very Senior Member
10,058 Posts
Mary-Kate Olsen said:
I actually can't stand an automatic transmission in stop and go driving. The delay from the tourque converter pisses me off when I want to inch forward. But to each his own.
Damn - you must not know how to drive an auto!!!!!;)

I really like the boost I can build before I "inch" forward!:p

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I never had a change of heart in cars, I have always wanted a supra, always loved a supra. I bought a 97 supra for 27k, my dad gave me 7k... I was 17 so he wanted the car to be in his name for insurance reasons and all that good stuff... anyways, I had it for a year, and then my parents got a divorce, and my dad basically sold everything he had.. (I don't know why, but whatever) I tried to get the title transfered to my name, as we both agreed to when I was 18. Yet, he sold it, and I had no idea until I came home one day.. needless to say it was the saddest day I have ever had, and I was SO PISSED, because I had 20k invested into it that was MY money.. anyways, he felt bad so he bought me a 300zx, which doesn't even cover the money i spent on the supra... well, I was on a quest to get enough money to by another supra, and just kept the z until I could get another supra... so that is why i sold the z.. now I am just waiting to come across another deal like the one I did a while back.. so that is the story of why I had a supra, and then to a 300zx, and now back to a supra. The supra is my first love, and have never wanted anything else!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts