Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to share with the world my new joy. I got a Alpine CDA-7878, the MP3 player, XM ready. I am really excited. Does anyone else have this head unit, did the install myself and have to say it looks very very nice. Ok i am done gloating.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I'm think I'm about to buy one

Alpine just discontinued the damned thng and is bringing out a cheaper model with a poorer transport and some features dropped. My local shop, who wanted $799 :eek:, can't get them anymore but is willing to install one if I bring it in for $60. I've seen it for less than $600online bu tno warranty :( I figure that install price is fair since I sure as heck don't feel like ripping into an unfamiliar car to installa stereo in the cold.

Where did you purchase yours? Usability good? Can you post any pics of it in the dash? I'm curious to see what it looks like :) Are you using the onboard amplifier? What else did you install with it? I'm going to see about a set of 10inch subs in the stock location and some speakers in the stock locations. If you installed an amp, where did you place it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
My RX7 had oen of those damned screens - I made th eprevious owner remove it. Couldn't hardly figure out the damned radio while driving down the road! Want an XBox - put it in the living room where it belongs. I sit in traffic but not enough to play games...

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Bought a 7878!

I struggled with this, I wanted a warranty but there's no way I could get one from Alpine. :( I bought mine off E-Bay too for $591 shipped. An MP3 unit that used a HD was an option but controlling it would've required an additional unit that I don't want to hassle with while driving. I like to concentrate on the road so the Alpine seemed liek a better solution this time. I hope I like it ;)

I now need to figure out what to do for a sub box and an amp that will fit under the passenger or driver's side seats. I don't think I'll do the install since the stereo shop has some reasonable labor rates for this ($60 for the head unit rox!).

So how do you like the 7878? Easy to use or what?

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I think they only had th eone actually

Came ou in August apparently. Now they've killed it off "due to low sales" yet my shop sold out :rolleyes:. They've come out with a new one bu tit won't be on shelves for a couple of months supposedly - grr! It's also got a cheaper transport and fewer features! However it's going to be MUCH more price competitive so we'll see. Reviews I've read on the 7878 have been pretty good, while tough to decide I felt I had to take the plunge and get one before they were all gone. E-Bay has a bunch of them going for sale one at a time from several vendors out there...

P.S. If you're considering an MP3 HU check out a site called MP3 Highway. Not sure of the URL, it was posted here somewhere, but I got LOT's of info there on several HUs. Several HUs out there have serious "issues" it seems to include software defects - yuck!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hey guys if anyone wants a cda-7878 let me know, I got one for my self but I am selling the supra. I will sell it for $650 Shipped It is brand new in the box. I also have a TME-M790 Motorized screen w/ motorized tilt and swivel option only used for 3 months for $900 shipped, this is a $1600 screen retail.

Nazar

1 - 8 of 8 Posts