Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking around some old threads and found i could use the mkIv alternator.i couldn't find any info on wiring it and sourcing the new square plug.any help would be appreciated,for now i think i'm going to try and part out the 7m alternator.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Okay, this is EVERYTHING that you need to know about the 2JZ alternator, wiring and 2JZ alternator cost. Oh, and ALL of these Part Numbers are from Elmhurst. Curt and Mike are the guys that I go to for 2JZ/7M stuff. Anything related to 1JZ needs to be taken up with Jeff at Champion Toyota.

Anyway,

Alternator: 270606-46200-84 100AMP LIST 309.80 COST 226.73[ ADD 30.00 CORE CHARGE]

2JZ Alternator 3-prong connector: 90980-11349 plastic electrical connector list 6.64 cost 4.91 x1

Now, this is what you need to know for wiring it up.

2JZ alternator:
#1 Yellow/Green (L)
#2 Yellow (IG)
#3 White (S)

1JZ alternator:
#1 White (S)
#2 Yellow/Green (L)
#3 Black/Yellow (IG)

What you need to do is wire in and match up the LETTERS indicating the proper wiring and NOT! the #'s.

So if you are using a 2JZ alternator with 1JZ wiring it should look like:
#1 Yellow/Green
#2 Black/Yellow
#3 White

The markings for #1,#2,#3 are on the 2JZ alternator connector.

HTH,

Bryan

G

·
I dont know where you got that info but its wrong, the 1JZ harness plugs right into the 2J alternator with out any modification, I am using it

130 dollars for it from Napa auto
part number A1542

·
Registered
939 Posts
15.00 Brush kit and some lite emory cloth on the armature contacts before installing clip and you are good for 100000 miles or so. Most Alt failures are brush related anyway. After they fail they pretty much tear up the contacts and you are buying an alternator at that point.
Cary

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
represent said:
I dont know where you got that info but its wrong, the 1JZ harness plugs right into the 2J alternator with out any modification, I am using it

130 dollars for it from Napa auto
part number A1542
Who are you to tell me that i'm wrong?

My info is exact! Look at the direrent wiring diagrams posted by Rick and also posted on MKIV.com.

MY!! Connector of my harness was just like the 7M alternator connector therefore i needed to remedy this!

I know that the 2JZGTE (US) uses a different alternator connector then that. So, you have to wire it up differently.

Check your SHIT again before you go and call me out!

G

·
ITs wrong there is no need to spend 230 dollars and wire anything when the napa alternator is 130 bucks, lifetime warrenty, and fits without any modification

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if you have part #,s for the napa one that would be good.this alternator is special order.to be completely honest,i'd prefer a toyota one.i,ve read alot of places saying the plug is square.anyways my problem is much deeper than an alternator.i had a battery for the car i knew was pretty weak.i charged it up,the car started.i drove it for about 10 minutes the low bat light comes on.i went and grabbed a new battery,put it in.now the car doesn,t want to idle above 500rpm.it shows 14.5 volts,you put on the head lights, heater,radio it drop's.it's just weird going from running good to you can't even put it in gear with out it stalling.i'm going to see if the computer is spitting out any codes.it's like something all of a sudden started pulling alot of amps

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
represent said:
ITs wrong there is no need to spend 230 dollars and wire anything when the napa alternator is 130 bucks, lifetime warrenty, and fits without any modification
Ugh, now you and i are talking about two DIFFERENT things!

Yes, you CAN buy an alternator from NAPA. You can ALSO buy one from Toyota! Hense the price quote from Elmhurst.

Like i said prior, and you should know this doing a 1.5JZ swap. The alternator for the 1JZ are NOT!!! all the same as harwewe1 stated.

The alternator that i recieved had a direct 7M plug in it with the according wires for the JZA70. So when i replaced my 1JZ JZX90 alternator with an upgraded 2JZGTE MKIV, i needed to change the connectors.

The info that i first stated does NOT!!! apply to you represent! This info is for people that don't have the right connector for the 2JZ alternator and are interested in purchasing a TOYOTA!! alternator not a NAPA one.

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks big t ,for the info.i,m going to pull it out and test it as soon as it warms up a little.i should of checked it before using it,because then i wouldn't be questioning if i wired it up right.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
tsuper92 said:
thanks big t ,for the info.i,m going to pull it out and test it as soon as it warms up a little.i should of checked it before using it,because then i wouldn't be questioning if i wired it up right.
You hear that represent!!! Who's getting owned now?? :p LOL!

I'm just messing with ya man. I know that your intentions were for good and that hopefully you're not holding anything against me.

I just want to help out this great community that has helped me and so i want to return the help and pass on my knowledge that i've gained.

tsuper92 i'm glad that you were able to find the information not only on a toyota alternator but on a NAPA one as well. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

HTH,

Bryan

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i checked the alternator today its good.has anybody had one heat up than act up.i'm going to check the fuse box under the hood,maybe when i pulled out the battery something happened.the hunt is on,hopefully not for long.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts