Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was taking down some of the top part of the engine to get to the valve covers. Along the way I was brushing some rusty flakes here and there with a metal wire brush (battery connected). And I stupidly decided to brush some of the flakes off my new alternator for cleanliness. Then I here a pop on the alternator and see smoke coming off the wires or something off the back of the alternator not sure where exactly because I didn’t process what happened in that moment until I saw the smoke. I’ve taken off my alternator and looked at the back connector part and it’s still looks good not charred or anything. I’ve looked at the wires that connect to the alternator and from what I see they look fine? from what I can see.
any idea what might happened?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like you made the flakes land somewhere they weren't supposed to? Just guessing. Take the alternator to get tested and see if it still works.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you made the flakes land somewhere they weren't supposed to? Just guessing. Take the alternator to get tested and see if it still works.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
i will do that next cause I have no idea what happened tbh

·
Registered
783 Posts
Just a wild guess here but it's possible that you just briefly shorted the output stud to the case with the wire brush. Try starting the car and checking the output with a multimeter, if that's fine you should be good to go. If not, check the alternator fuse in the main fuse box in the engine bay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I tested my alternator at autozone and it tested fine so I put it back in and drove it around the neighborhood and it drove fine so maybe a flake just popped

1 - 5 of 5 Posts