Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the other night i came home in the rain with my voltage below 12V so i was like WTH! i charged it overnight and started the car up in the morning and i hear this whining noise coming from alternator area, so i guess my alternator is on its way out. i havent had problems starting her up yet..phew! I packed with school work and i don't plan to change it until atleasy 1 or 2 weeks later. I have the original toyota MK2 alternator still in my garage when my dad replaced it at 70k km with a rebuilt one(now its almost 150k) and i was wondering if any one in the lowermainland can upgrade it so maybe it can produce 90-100amps?how much would it cost?

·
Registered
899 Posts
ask at a starter / alt rebuilder or perhapse a place that does electric motor windings. But i think it also has some to do with the regulator.

Perhapse you want to look into the MR2 alternator swap? i think that is the one which was said to be bigger nad produce more amps... just swap the pulley. (some newer 7M pulleys shaft hole are different)

Search on that and think about it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if its not too much i'd like to upgrade it and not having to modify anything since i got an alternator sitting at home...i'm frustrated enough already ( personal matters) *sigh*

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Jayhall, I didn't know WS was your uncle's shop! I've been going there for 20+ years now. Fan-freaking-tastic place, one of the few places I'm willing to send a girl alone, because I know from experience they never take advantage of people who don't know cars.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
went to edmunds's starter and alternators...they told me i could not upgrade the sucker, but said they believe there is a GM model that is similar shape and outputs 90ish amps

·
Registered
899 Posts
MR2 lookin g more appealing? LOL check it out. My alternator bearings are on their way out and i'll prolly go that direction.

G

·
Kcheng said:
Well the other night i came home in the rain with my voltage below 12V so i was like WTH! i charged it overnight and started the car up in the morning and i hear this whining noise coming from alternator area, so i guess my alternator is on its way out. i havent had problems starting her up yet..phew! I packed with school work and i don't plan to change it until atleasy 1 or 2 weeks later. I have the original toyota MK2 alternator still in my garage when my dad replaced it at 70k km with a rebuilt one(now its almost 150k) and i was wondering if any one in the lowermainland can upgrade it so maybe it can produce 90-100amps?how much would it cost?
I got a brand new one 100 and its yours..

Pat

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
stupid...i dont recommend edmunds starters and alternators...they are BS...took over 1 week and they could not find anything. if they dont find anything tomorrow, im going down to western starters. they seem more acknowledgable as they found and priced everything for me over the phone already.

·
Registered
119 Posts
For another suggestion, run down a wrecker and find an alternator out of an early 90's V6 Camry. Bolt-in, but uses a 5-rib belt. I've been very happy with mine, set me back $50 with a 6-month exchange warranty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts