Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, been having some trouble with the car engine so hoping to narrow a couple things down.
I just grabbed myself a used alternator and the plug looks like a newer oval shape as oppose to the circle one the alternator had before. From searching online I found this pinout but dont know if I should be using to pinouts from the top of the picture or the ones from the bottom. Just looking to double check that I should be connecting L to L (from the bottom) as oppose to 1 to 1 (from the top)

The second thing is the engine won't stay running. You can turn the key and get the engine started but it will stall within a second of starting. From searching the forums it seems as though some possible causes may be the iacv (red), the tps (blue), or an issue with the ecu (leaking).
Can this also be caused by vacuum leaks?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have red circled one and looking to switch the blue style. Ill need to confirm the part number when I get off of work.

The thing about the engine codes is I bought a wiring harness and when asked how I'd go about checking codes I was told to short two wires on the connector (connector looks like the picture below) and the cel will flash codes, only this is at the moment I dont have anything on the dash set up (gauges, etc.) which I figure I would need. Should have also added that this is in a datsun so I dont have anything digital.
https://www.efihardware.com/images/medium/6522/2-Pin-1JZ-2JZ-Connector.jpg

·
Registered
549 Posts
Sounds like you have a 2jz alternator. It has the different plug. either get the proper alternator (gl on that), or swap the connector.

As for the stalling issue, I presume you've double-checked the wiring. I would suspect the ecu has bad capacitors. It's usually easy to pop the covers off, and check.

Getting codes:
http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/47216384/1JZ-GTE JZZ30 Soarer Engine Wiring

If you search the page for "check engine" (without quotes) it'll point to a few harness pins that will give you a check engine light (any 12v, low power incandescent bulb) and the proper pin to ground to put to ground
Presuming this is the proper ecu and pinout, anyway
12v to one bulb pin, the other pin goes to C85, pin 3
ground out C85, pin 5 to get the codes

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@BenStoked wiring is a brand new harness so I just ruled it out without checking it.

I pulled open the ECU from from I could see there are no leaking or swollen capacitors, I did however find this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Looked up that plug on the wilbo site and found it to be C84 which lists a whole bunch of stuff. Hoping to find one locally I can borrow there ecu to test.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not sure how long it will last but I have soldered a f150 fuse box circuit board together that was like that and it held for a while believe I still see it running around town. So that might be something your can try just to see if it fixes the issue till you can get a hold of another ecm

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
awesome input thanks guys. Great link btw.

I ended up just searching for the part number on the alternator and switch the wires like that, ended up using the bottom pin outs that are circled. As for the ECU I brought it to a computer repair shop and they fixed it for a couple bucks its currently running.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts