Supra Forums banner

Alternator...

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  tsuper92 
#1 ·
Well, I have read everywhere the 2JZ alternator will work in the 1JZ. I can tell you it won't without modifying the connectors for the field windings. The alternator went out last week. The brushes were toast and they dug a fairly large groove into the contact portion of the rotor.

The 2JZ non turbo is physically alot larger than the 1JZ (rated @ 100 amp) and has the oval connectors on the top. The turbo alternator is a 90 amp with an oval connector on the backside. If I have to change connectors, I will probably put the 2JZ non turbo one in. At least I can get a boost of current for the stereo system.

Has anyone found an alternator that is a direct replacement?

Thanks,

Marty

#2 ·
marty i did the 2jz alternator swap.it was a piece of cake,just look for posts from big t.he listed the connector and how it should be wired.the alternator is bigger,pulley also bigger,but bolts in like it belongs there.matt one-dime started a thread on this also.you should find it with a search.my alternator never charged from day one.
keith

#4 ·
when i bought it i was told the turbo one was 100 amp,so thats what i got.i figured i'd set it up for what is easy to get.i got it from autozone and blew the first one up with a couple of runs up to 6500.the second one has worked great(about 700 miles)
keith

#5 ·
Cool, found the thread...AND this alternator is acting just like yours. Runs good, warms up and blam, 6 volts with accessories on. So, did the connector you bought have the plug wires so you can just splice them in? If so, I may just order one from Jeff Watson...

Thanks,

Marty

#6 ·
I just popped my 100A 2J alt too... I wonder if I should go with the manual (90a) version, doesnt seem like it would make a difference.

But the clip does not come with wires or the little metal inserts for the wires.. If you have any toyota harness (ie 7mgte) laying around you can scavage them off it. But yes the install is cake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.