Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting a big pay check friday and wanted to know what you all thought. The wheels will be about 13.5 lbs each. Driveshaft is around 11-12 lbs.

What would make the biggest difference? Best bang for your bucks.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
i would say driveshaft, i have different wheels for differnt set ups, swapping them is easier than a driveshaft.

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
I would go with the driveshaft first as the wheels may weight 13.5 but add the tires & air and it will be more. But its up to you as its your money ;) Do you want nice wheels first or an aluminum ds first ;)

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Id go for aluminum driveshaft. I did it and its probably one of the best mods if done to my car.

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
TaSe said:
I would go with the driveshaft first as the wheels may weight 13.5 but add the tires & air and it will be more. But its up to you as its your money ;) Do you want nice wheels first or an aluminum ds first ;)
Yes but figure sawblades are 24 lbs a piece, no tire
Replace them with rims that weigh 13 lbs

13x4=52 lbs
24x4=96 lbs

Going from sawblades to lighter wheels saves a lot of rotational mass. The main difference I noticed from mine was that when I was running sawblades, the pull somewhat stopped, almost like the powerband fell off earlier. With the lighter wheels, the pull was stronger and seemed to hold better, I never felt a drop in power, probably due to the increase in the powerband.

My wheels were cheaper than a lightweight driveshaft, saved over 40 lbs rotational mass, and look a hell of a lot better than sawblades.

But that's me.

.02 :D

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
maybe rx7s? you start going bigger sizes it cuts down on the gains (i think?)

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
Id go with driveshaft... aluminium ones can absorb some shock in the drivetrain and are much smoother than the stock 2 piece.

Btw global, did you need any spacers or anything for those wheels? or are the offsets ideal?

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
There are now 1 peace aluminum DS's on ebay now, not sure about the quality but they look fine...

Personally I'm going with both! :)

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
lighter wheels, but remember my little rule...

The ONLY reason to go with bigger wheels (not wider, but taller) is to clear bigger brakes, a larger wheel will move the main mass of the wheel out farther and actually increase the rotational mass because of centrifical force

Wider...well, that's another story all together, usually it's well worth the added weight to get more traction.

The lighter wheels also reduce unsprung weight, drasticly improving suspension performance...

Driveshaft on the other hand is kinda like a lightweight flywheel, it has it's advantages and disadvantages.

-Less inital torque
-More available horsepower (usually)
-Vibration problems
-more direct connection to the rearend, making it more responsive

In the end, if the stock driveshaft is in good shape with a good carrier bearing, I don't see any reason to replace it so fast, but the sawblades have to go....

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
What's the advantage of a one piece DS over the stock one? Not talking about the weight issue of course.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts