Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey wasup folks. if you guys dont know im new here and im going to be picking up a 87 supra with a 2jz-ge, auto tranny. I got more info from my friend and yes, the car has a blown head gasket. Im new to engine building, So ive been doing some research and got this down so far

-Oem/HKS MHG (I never seen the car yet, if its in a better condition den what i think, im going to put in the HKS MHG. Not going to turbo or anything)

-ARP head stud kit

-Block + Head machined back to stock specs (If needed)

And i might need seal for the piston (not sure it thats what its called), because my friend said theres oil on spark plugs. If im missing anything you guys can chime in. I did all the research from my knowledge, and need some of the experts advice on what i may need to make this engine like new.

Also this car will most likely be a DD, so noneed for racing parts or anything. And i want to do it right the first time so i wont have to go through hell again

Much mahalo'z & Thanks in Advance!!!
dan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

I know a thread like this has been posted before, but juss want to make sure im on the right path on doing this

·
Registered
313 Posts
If I were you I would not mess with rebuilding that engine. Buy a low mileage engine from Japan, put new front and rear main seals, cam seals and a new timing belt and drop it in. If you don't have training rebuilding engines this would be the most economical thing for you to do. You may have to swap your oil pan and pickup tube off of your old engine it that truly is a 2jz-ge and not a 7m-ge in your 87 supra.
And if it is a 2jz you might also consider dropping in the 2jz-gte(twin turbo) in it. At factory boost, synthetic oil it would make a great daily driver.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
buying a new engine sounds great, but im not really interested on going to that route. Im not really going to rebuild the engine, but just fix it to make it a reliable DD. My friend told me the guy who they bought it from said it was a Jdm motor. Also these a possibility the motor didnt hit 100k yet. But ill see how everything goes when i see it tomorrow. iF its in good condition, my plans may change. Thanks for the input guys. really appreciate it. when i get the car ill post up pics of it =D

And i hope its just from the head gasket. but we'll see tomorrow

·
Registered
313 Posts
it would be hard to tell the diff. If the headgasket is blown and you do a compression check the cylinders would show low even if the rings and cylinder wall are good, to be certain you would need a machine shop measure the cylinder walls for taper, out of round, etc. Since the pistons have to be out to do that you would at the least need the cylinders to be honed and new piston rings to be installed. If you just replace the headgasket you would be taking a chance of having good compression or not. Which I have done before. I've personally never seen oil on a spark plug from a blown head gasket. It would have oil in the radiator or radiator fluid in the oil. You need to do a compression check, preferably with the engine warm.

Also I'm not trying to be a jerk but to inform you, if you have a block or head machined it will not be back to oem spec because you are taking metal away to make surfaces smooth\level. You then have to buy oversized pistons or undersized bearings for the crankshaft, or increase the width of the headgasket based upon the amount of material shaved of the head plus the block, if you don't then the spacing between the crank and cam gears differs and slightly changes cam\crank timing.
That is why I install low mileage engines instead of rebuilding, if the engine was running when it came out of the jdm car chances are it will run in yours. I don't trust machines shops to work on my engine because they don't have to deal with the consequences if the screw up, I do.

·
Registered
313 Posts
also to find out if it is just a head gasket. Alot of times a car with a blown headgasket will white smoke when it is first cranked until it warms up(that is water that has seeped into the cylinder and is being burned up). Alot of times the engine will sound like it has a miss, like it is running on 4-5 cylinders. And sometimes you can tell by taking off the rad cap when there is no pressure on the system and look for signs of oil on surface. Alot of times water will go into the oil so you can drain the oil and wait to see the oil seperate from the water. Oil on the plugs sounds like extreme blow by from bad rings\cylinder walls. I guess it could be the headgasket too
It could also be a faulty pcv valve pushing blow by gasses and oil into the intake .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
aiite thanks for the heads up man. and yea im still learning about this stuff, so useful information is really appreciated. Im real excited to go and pick it up today. and i got a friend who knows this stuff. hisdad used to have a shop, so he will help me to determine whats best for the car. thanks for the help man! ill also get piks of the car up soon

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
arghhhhhhgajgamnfkl;amwf

so finially after 3 weeks of wanting to check out this car, finially got to see it today.

car body in alright shape.no major dmg on body parts. but....

the regular stock motor is in there. kinda disappointed cuz i got all the parts that i needed for a 2gz, and now i gotta resell them n get the right parts i need.

the car makes me LOL when i think about it.
-gotta fix radiator wiring
-make ghetto rig the starter because something wrong with the ignition
-big ass rust hole in the spare tire compartment
-need new front windshield
-terminals are straight out gay

& im sure there is more thing that wrong, but i nvr found it yet haha. na but in all, its just minor problems, besides the head gasket that i got to fix. ill update more when i actually get the car to my house.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
naw i got it for free. my friend wanted to get it out of his yard. hes not a car person, and his friend,also a friend of mine (a ricer) told him there was a 2jz in em.

i was dissapointed that it was just a stock motor, but i always wanted a project car to fix and make it run cherry. but just some minor fixes here and there. took autobody shop, so i have some knowledge of how to bodywork and all that. but when i get the car to my house today ill post up pics of the car

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update

ok so i just had the worse 3 hrs take-off-the-header-just-to-take-off-the-oil-filter day

The filter after the nasty battle

Also i checked the compression today and where the spark plugs are oil is leaking into that area. also on the intake cam gear side oil is leaking out. so it looks like i really do need the entire HG kit lol. oh and the compression for the motor is good. we never checked the middle ones (because of the intake in the way) but cylinder 1,2,5,6 gave a healty 150ish psi.

and i got a quick question 4 u guys. for the fan on the side of the radiator, did the newer mk3 upgraded to dual fans, because one that i might buy has two fans, but mines only has one, and the fan shroud only has one fan opening.

Will get more pictures up when we start opening up the engine

·
Registered
66 Posts
you took the header off just to change the oil filter? I do hope you know that is not necessary. Also, if you have good compression numbers then you likely dont have a head gasket problem.... Sounds like the valve guides are shot though, with all that oil in the combustion chambers....

What color was the oil? Usually BHG cars have white-ish colored oil from mixing with antifreeze. If it does have white oil, the engine is probably shot. If the old owner drove it very far at all with the antifreeze/oil mixture then the bearings are shot. The antifreeze with strip the lead right off of the bronze bearing shell with a quickness and will put nasty scratches in the crank and/or spin a bearing.

JFYI.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts