Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Hawtness
Joined
·
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting a list of parts, prices, ect. for a 93-98 supra that is 6speed/stock. All im really looking to do is take the car from stock and make it into a single turbo 600ish hp car. With that in mind i have for parts

HPF 67 Turbo kit
HPF FMIC Kit
Greddy Boost Cont.
Exhaust Setup
Intake + pipeing (comes in the HPF kit)
(Fuel system will be ordered later, and setup will be ran on low boost)

Am i missing anything to make this all work? I am a noob to anything other than domestic cars but im trying to learn so please dont hate.
Thanks for your time/help

EDIT* Also i did look at the parts/price spreadsheet and a lot of the stuff on there i wont be buying for awhile(untill money is sufficent) so dont suggest clutch,tranny work ect.
 

·
Hawtness
Joined
·
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turbo4reek said:
Probably an AEM or piggyback and a Wideband would be on my list. Also fuel pressure regulator, EGT, Oil pressure, boost if you don't have it. BOV and WG of course. Def some bigger tires, cause the stockers won't cut it :)
I really dont want a BOV, and the WG comes in the kit. 44mm Do i really need a AEM right away? Or are there cheap alternatives to get me by for the time being. Or can i just buy a wideband? Also where should i be looking for EGT, Oil pressure ect.. Ebay or what? thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,655 Posts
If it's a stock car with a 6 speed then you'll need a new clutch/pressure plate for 600 whp. But with a stock fuel system on this set up, I don't think you'll be running 600 whp safely.
 

·
Hawtness
Joined
·
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kerry1 said:
If it's a stock car with a 6 speed then you'll need a new clutch/pressure plate for 600 whp. But with a stock fuel system on this set up, I don't think you'll be running 600 whp safely.
I know that, the car will probably not even hit 600hp only on dyno days with super high octance gas or one day if i go to the track and put higher octance gas isntead of 93. As for what it will be at daily im hopeing 500ish maybe tad less. (this will be on 93 octane). I dont plan on having the boost up very high at all untill i get a new fuel system. But will i be able to get away with low boost and stock fuel system?

Also can someone please explain some of the Electronics that are involved. like AEM,wideband, ect? I know they are great things to put on these cars but if im not going for extreme #'s or even running it at the track should i really be worried about these things? I will have a boost controller so that is taken care of but im wondering about a AEM and wideband?
 

·
10'S BABY
Joined
·
3,835 Posts
Whether its on a dyno every once in a while or not. 600RWHP is not safe on stock fuel. I guess it has been done, but if you are wanting to be safe, I wouldnt come close to that number. In fact I keep mine under 520RWHP. So I would be looking at some fuel upgrades and I can tell you from experience that if you are on your stock clutch setup in the 450RWHP/TQ range, you will start to slip( I slipped at 420RWHP). So to reach 450-600RWHP, you are going to need a clutch upgrade. I am looking into the AEM wideband myself. Its about 270.00 and it seems to be a good setup from what I have heard. You do not need the AEM EMS at this point for sure, but you are going to need some type of air fuel controller and if you want to get rid of your stock MAF you will need a MAP ECU or HKS VPC. As far as gauges go....an EGT gauge isnt really necessary if you buy a Wideband setup IMO. Monitoring oil pressure is never a bad thing and you will def need a boost gauge of sorts. So you are looking at boost, oil pressure, and a wideband gauge to be safe. You dont NEED a wideband, but then you cant tune yourself and you have to rely on dynos.
 

·
Hawtness
Joined
·
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
89MKIIIT said:
Whether its on a dyno every once in a while or not. 600RWHP is not safe on stock fuel. I guess it has been done, but if you are wanting to be safe, I wouldnt come close to that number. In fact I keep mine under 520RWHP. So I would be looking at some fuel upgrades and I can tell you from experience that if you are on your stock clutch setup in the 450RWHP/TQ range, you will start to slip( I slipped at 420RWHP). So to reach 450-600RWHP, you are going to need a clutch upgrade. I am looking into the AEM wideband myself. Its about 270.00 and it seems to be a good setup from what I have heard. You do not need the AEM EMS at this point for sure, but you are going to need some type of air fuel controller and if you want to get rid of your stock MAF you will need a MAP ECU or HKS VPC. As far as gauges go....an EGT gauge isnt really necessary if you buy a Wideband setup IMO. Monitoring oil pressure is never a bad thing and you will def need a boost gauge of sorts. So you are looking at boost, oil pressure, and a wideband gauge to be safe. You dont NEED a wideband, but then you cant tune yourself and you have to rely on dynos.
Thanks A LOT! for all the help, i totally agree about the stock fuel system i wont even have the cars boost anywhere near 16 just to be safe. As far as thew wideband i totally agree with you and i feel that 270 is well worth it. Do you prefer either the MAP ECU or the HKS VPC?
Thanks again
 

·
10'S BABY
Joined
·
3,835 Posts
Smokey1226 said:
Thanks A LOT! for all the help, i totally agree about the stock fuel system i wont even have the cars boost anywhere near 16 just to be safe. As far as thew wideband i totally agree with you and i feel that 270 is well worth it. Do you prefer either the MAP ECU or the HKS VPC?
Thanks again
I run the VPC on my personal car and have had no problems at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
560 Posts
89MKIIIT said:
I run the VPC on my personal car and have had no problems at all.
I have the VPC and am having nothing but problems, go figure.
Maybe its just me, but a lot of people have had them and have had no problems.

Here are the things your missing........

Fuel (about $1200...you can find it if you search around the forums forsale threads)

Clutch and Flywheel (get the FW, you will need it down the line very soon)

S AFC and VPC (or MapECU), plus Boost controller

Lotek guage pod ($49 guagepods.com)

Oil pressure guage (don't NEED it, but a good one to have)

AEM UEGO WideBand(good investment b/c when, not if, you go AEM it will plug right into your unit :) )

Boost guage if you don't have you already

BOV (this isn't an option, you need something to stop the backpressure between shifts, you have no choice, just listen to clips and choose a nice one)

Don't forget dyno time
Hope this helps.... :)
 

·
Hawtness
Joined
·
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Turbo4reek said:
I have the VPC and am having nothing but problems, go figure.
Maybe its just me, but a lot of people have had them and have had no problems.

Here are the things your missing........

Fuel (about $1200...you can find it if you search around the forums forsale threads)

Clutch and Flywheel (get the FW, you will need it down the line very soon)

S AFC and VPC (or MapECU), plus Boost controller

Lotek guage pod ($49 guagepods.com)

Oil pressure guage (don't NEED it, but a good one to have)

AEM UEGO WideBand(good investment b/c when, not if, you go AEM it will plug right into your unit :) )

Boost guage if you don't have you already

BOV (this isn't an option, you need something to stop the backpressure between shifts, you have no choice, just listen to clips and choose a nice one)

Don't forget dyno time
Hope this helps.... :)
Thank you too, awesome stuff guys. Thanks again for all the help
 

·
(overspooled)
Joined
·
2,836 Posts
get a map ecu and an FJO....
for a clutch, pick your poison...I would go with the 16lb spring in the wg and just run it with that and not add any more boost until you have full fuel...
when you order the hpf kit they will ask you about your bov, this is so you can have the flange welded on...the hks ssqv works pretty good with this setup, so you may want to pick one up...also order some silicon hose from hosetechniques so you can replace every bit of hose in your system. I removed my stock twins which was a bitch! and when I received my hpf kit the car was running in about 3hrs...do your prep and take your time on the deinstall and all will be merry...if you are looking to save a few bucks get an auto, you'll liokely find a lower mileage car for much less money. (go with the .68 hot side, you'll like it on the street)

btw I have the hpf67 and hpf 3row and Love it..for fuel I have dual walbros with precision 850's and a titan rail....this has been a very reliable setup for me...
 

·
Hawtness
Joined
·
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Morefaster said:
get a map ecu and an FJO....
for a clutch, pick your poison...I would go with the 16lb spring in the wg and just run it with that and not add any more boost until you have full fuel...
when you order the hpf kit they will ask you about your bov, this is so you can have the flange welded on...the hks ssqv works pretty good with this setup, so you may want to pick one up...also order some silicon hose from hosetechniques so you can replace every bit of hose in your system. I removed my stock twins which was a bitch! and when I received my hpf kit the car was running in about 3hrs...do your prep and take your time on the deinstall and all will be merry...if you are looking to save a few bucks get an auto, you'll liokely find a lower mileage car for much less money. (go with the .68 hot side, you'll like it on the street)

btw I have the hpf67 and hpf 3row and Love it..for fuel I have dual walbros with precision 850's and a titan rail....this has been a very reliable setup for me...
Thanks for the help, what kind of numbers are you looking at with that setup? Also Which MAP ECU and FJO (unless thier is only one brand ?!?!?! idk im just a noob) did you go with?
 

·
10'S BABY
Joined
·
3,835 Posts
Smokey1226 said:
Thanks for the help, what kind of numbers are you looking at with that setup? Also Which MAP ECU and FJO (unless thier is only one brand ?!?!?! idk im just a noob) did you go with?
the FJO is a pretty expensive wideband setup, but its good quality. If you are going to have to cut any corners on this and get a cheaper piece. Do it here and get like an AEM wideband or a Innovative.
 

·
(overspooled)
Joined
·
2,836 Posts
honestly I use the zeitronix wideband...it is cheap and gets the job done. I like the unit because it is easy to log a lot of data at once. I would have gotten the FJO if I had to do it again just because I have never heard anything bad about it. Basically any wideband and a Map ECU and u will be fine. Not sure what Kind of numbers I'm putting down, I run about 17lbs on pump gas all day long and thoroughly enjoy boiling my 275 drag radial in 1st through 3rd....butt dyno says low to mid 5's rwhp...I would feel very confident that on racegas I could crank up the boost a bit and see mid to upper 600's... I could probably do better but really don't want to abuse my car for the folks at the dyno's amusement... trust me 5-600 to the wheels is great for the street...and you can do it reliably
 

·
Hawtness
Joined
·
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Morefaster said:
honestly I use the zeitronix wideband...it is cheap and gets the job done. I like the unit because it is easy to log a lot of data at once. I would have gotten the FJO if I had to do it again just because I have never heard anything bad about it. Basically any wideband and a Map ECU and u will be fine. Not sure what Kind of numbers I'm putting down, I run about 17lbs on pump gas all day long and thoroughly enjoy boiling my 275 drag radial in 1st through 3rd....butt dyno says low to mid 5's rwhp...I would feel very confident that on racegas I could crank up the boost a bit and see mid to upper 600's... I could probably do better but really don't want to abuse my car for the folks at the dyno's amusement... trust me 5-600 to the wheels is great for the street...and you can do it reliably
The last sentence is exactly what im looking for. The ability to have a "stock" driveing car that when the times comes i can turn it into a 500-600hp monster and know i can make that power w/o any kind of problems. How many different MAP ECU's and widebands are there?
 

·
doin alright, thanks ;-)
Joined
·
311 Posts
Smokey1226 said:
Im getting a list of parts, prices, ect. for a 93-98 supra that is 6speed/stock. All im really looking to do is take the car from stock and make it into a single turbo 600ish hp car. With that in mind i have for parts...
Sounds like you don't even own the car yet. Once you spend $25-$45,000 to buy this car, you will have second thoughts about that $15,000 list of parts/mods you are looking at. ;)
 

·
Hawtness
Joined
·
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
flight23 said:
Sounds like you don't even own the car yet. Once you spend $25-$45,000 to buy this car, you will have second thoughts about that $15,000 list of parts/mods you are looking at. ;)
I dont have it yet, but i have found 2-3 that i could buy for cheap. one for 8k and one for 12k. Both need some kind of body work but definately well worth it. Im just trying to plan out how much this is all going to cost before i pull the pin.
 

·
Last stock TT on Earth
Joined
·
625 Posts
^ $8k :wtf: ? It must be like on the Carfax commerical, "This car is HOT!!!" Hope you didn't find it on Ebay.

Good luck on your purchase!
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top