Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I rebuilt my 7MGTE because the last person who did the hg reused the head bolts (previous owner) and the 1st cylinder was leaking coolant into it. I caught it before there was any damage. Being I have been a supra owner for long time I tore it down, bought new ARP head bolts and all new gaskets and torqued to 75 ft/lbs. Here is my question. My oil looked a little funny after a 20 mile test drive and was starting to have pressure issues. I have not drove it at all except for testing. When I first attempted to get it started I had a lot of trouble aligning the CPS and getting the timing right. My oil is very thin and black and it only has 20 miles or less on it. Is it possible to get gas in your oil from over cranking during timing adjustments? My oil is Castrol Synthetic Blend 10w30. I have read a lot of the posts on oils and there are many different opinions. I have always used castol abut if there is a better one please let me know. I am going to change the oil and do another test drive and then drain and check it again. This is also my second 7MGTE rebuild.

Thanks

·
512RWHP... 503RWTQ... 7M
3,292 Posts
There's nothing wrong with re-using the head bolts, I wouldnt re-use the hg though :)

Did you prep the block and the head? Are you using oem hg or metal?

And no, you cant get fuel into the oil... If you did, you should be able to smell the fuel in the oil... But then again, IF you had fuel mixing with oil, I would think you are having serious problems with the motor...

Good luck...
Jake

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used a oem hdg. There was no warpage in the head, and I preped and cleaned everything. The oil did not really smell like fuel. I think I am just a little paranoid. I am putting in new oil tonight. Actually the engine is running great. Other than the wierd oil pressure readings. Thanks for the responce.

·
Stormcock approves
1,859 Posts
Reign_Maker said:
There's nothing wrong with re-using the head bolts, I wouldnt re-use the hg though :)
I was under the impression that they were TTY bolts and should NOT be reused. Besides, they are the weak link, not the gasket.

·
512RWHP... 503RWTQ... 7M
3,292 Posts
Well, the gasket is the weak link, really... The bolts can be reused, I've reused them with out fail... The problem with the bolts is they arent torqued down enough initially... Had they torqued them down enough in the first place, stock Supra's wouldnt be blowing hg all over the place, well, most of them wouldnt...

The head gasket is weak because it's a composite piece of shit... Ever seen one up close? :lol: Of course you have, lol, yur an MKIII owner, we all have... But it's those copper rings surrounded by a composite pressed paper gasket that are so crappy... When the pressure gets too high, there is nothing to stop that little copper ring from ripping right through that paper, and with improper torque specs, it's going to happen a lot...

2twin, how do you KNOW there was no warpage? Did you mill the head? You cant tell by looking at it, and you cant assume because it never over heated... My last supra never over heated, and the head looked great, but when I took it to have them mill it, the ends were higher then the middle, just barely, but enough to "see-saw" the head on the block... Had I put it back together like that, it would have leaked in the #1 and #6 pistons...

Good luck with your fix, hope its something simple...

Jake

1 - 5 of 5 Posts