Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Im going to give u guys my dilemma in a nutshell..
I see 2jz engines with auto trannys on a bunch of sites online for 2500 dollars..however the guy thats going to install it for me is looking for one for me and found one for 4500 dollars and "guarantees it to be clean". I just feel that his price is high because everywhere I look the price is around 2500 dollars, but the guy that is installing it has been really straight forward with me and my dad and is quite obviously a car enthusiast (owns an R34 skyline), not just any old mechanic.

So my dilemma is whether i should just order the motor and trans online or if i should go with his price and pay 2 thousand dollars more to make sure its clean..when i can easily spend that money elsewhere modding up my 2jz.

thanks
chew

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
It's really going to depend on what "clean" means. If it's a freshly rebuilt motor that been thoroughly gone over it may be worth considering... beats the headaches associated with finding out just how badly the used motor you just installed needs a rebuild, not to mention the additional down time. If you can't do any of the work rebuilding a used engine yourself, a used engine could possibly cost you just as much... it's luck of the draw with JDM engines.

I'd get some more details first.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well .. he said that if i buy the motor thru him that if there were any problems that we could find a new motor without any problems and i wont have to eat the loss, but he said that he is getting the motor thru someone who has a good reputation and is working and running well, however it is not rebuilt..

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
And how long is the replacement warranty valid? Do mods void it? How much does he want to install it?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He wants like 2 grand to install it and hes just guaranteeing that the engine runs well and doesnt have anything wrong with it like a bhg or anything like that. Hes basically guaranteeing that the engine is generally good shape and that I'm not getting a piece of garbage thats going to die on me after a few months. I'm sure if I go back to the guy with a problem a month or two from now and the damage is obviously not my fault that he will take care of it..we have built a fairly good relationship and opened up lines of communication with this guy..but the price just seems steep to me..however I want to say you get what you pay for..its just i feel that im paying alot

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
If he is so certain of where he is getting the engine's extra reliability yadda yadda yadda, he shouldn't have a problem directing you to the same source so you can take a look at it and compare it yourself. I'd ask for those details first before making that high a purchase.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I've got to agree with everyone else. Unless this engine has 400 miles on it and was owned and driven only by a 90yo quadriplegic, it sounds like he's either padding the bill or helping his buddy collect a down payment for a car as quickly as possible.

Without seeing it first, I'd be inclined to keep looking. Especially if it's completely stock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts