Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yea that's right. I am sandblasting every single part on and off the car. So far from the windshield forward is stripped off (engine and 90% of items in the bay, fenders, bumper etc.) I have sandblasted the inner fenders and the front (by the frame rails) and a bit inside the bay. I am planning on stripping everything down to the metal and then recoating it all. No rust or dirt/grease for me. :) Tonight I just started ripping the front subframe apart (hub, rotor, caliper, control arms etc.) It is a big job, but I am up to the task...I think. If I can continuously work on it for 2-3 hours a day I can get it done in 2-3 weeks. Pics will be up...eventually.

P.s. sandblasting without a cabinet makes a MESS.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
good job! more power to you and good luck! i hope everything goes smoothly for you.

everybody needs to get more "in-depth" with our cars. this way they're around a lot longer.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a lot of work. But will be worth it in the end, everything will look brand new. One problem though is I am going to be affraid to drive the damn thing on the street with all the other idiot drivers out there. I WILL serve jail time if someone were to ever damage the car, better pray it is a hit and run.

·
Registered
189 Posts
blackout_89t said:
It is a lot of work. But will be worth it in the end, everything will look brand new. One problem though is I am going to be affraid to drive the damn thing on the street with all the other idiot drivers out there. I WILL serve jail time if someone were to ever damage the car, better pray it is a hit and run.

I was thinking the same thing. If I were to do the same to my car, as soon as I took it down the street I would get creamed by some idiot.

·
Registered
375 Posts
yea i would be worried too...not that im not now!

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QWIKSTRIKE said:
Wow no Etown for you huh! great work. Show pics.
I have two supras here. So it is still a possibility, but I am still waiting on parts to arrive to get that one running.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,275 Posts
man ur more nuts then me adam... thats why mark was buying all that sand eh?

shit how much sand you guys going though?

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Didn't sandblast it, but we totally stripped my brother's 300zx by hand, it turned out very excellent. :)

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ZaZZn said:
man ur more nuts then me adam... thats why mark was buying all that sand eh?

shit how much sand you guys going though?

Going to need a lot of sand. A 50lb bag of sand is gone after 7 minutes of use. Of course I can sweep it back up, strain it, and re-use it, but it is such a pain. I need to find somewhere that I can get A LOT of sand for cheap. It is special sand though, so I can't just get it anywhere. My driveway looks like a beach afterwords. :bigthumb:

·
Offical MkIII Pushman
1,797 Posts
just go down to the beach stick a hose in the ground and your good to go!

hurry up with the pics cant wait to see this thing.

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
is it going for paint right after? Last thing i'd want is to sandblast the chassis only to have a light glaze of rust over the entire car after sitting...

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TheHeffNerr said:
just go down to the beach stick a hose in the ground and your good to go!

hurry up with the pics cant wait to see this thing.
Heh, you need to use special abraisive sand and it has to be 100% DRY, or else I would do that. :)

FromDaStreetz said:
is it going for paint right after? Last thing i'd want is to sandblast the chassis only to have a light glaze of rust over the entire car after sitting...
I am doing it one area at a time and am using a rust convertor and then a rust coater on the exposed metal before any moisture gets to develop, that is on items such as control arms and such. For the chasis/body I am using aircraft grade primer right after sandblasting/cleaning.

·
Offical MkIII Pushman
1,797 Posts
blackout_89t said:
Heh, you need to use special abraisive sand and it has to be 100% DRY, or else I would do that. :)
heh yea it was just a bad joke :/ would be nice wouldnt it?

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
i blasted the frame on my 86 toyota truck... looks good, just make sure you paint it and undercoat it well

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
and if there is rust anywhere be sure u level out the pitted areas. have fun!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts