Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just fuond this from another forum and wanted to share.

Here's a Finnish car restauration company who have completely rebuilt a 1984 Toyota Celica turbo used by Juha Kankkunen in -85 HongKong-Beijing Rally.

The work they have done is amazing....

Link

·
Who's the Master?!
4,073 Posts
They really did a hell of a job with that restoration. I've always had a fondness for those Celicas, particularly the 1985 GT-S in dark blue. Both my grandmother and my uncle had Celicas, both of them blue. I loved them to death. That silver Celica on the lift looks like it is in pristine condition. Oh, and picture #85 with the front end of the Ferrari peering though the Celica chassis is awesome. It'd be a nice desktop.

That white knob in pic #175 reminds me of the ones used to control the differential in some of the older 4wd Porsche racers. I assume this one does the same thing. Lolz at the Merak in pic #263; they were a complete piece of garbage. Aaaand I'd give my left nut for the Audi Quattro in #274. The front end of the Celica reminds me of a Dodge Shadow. It's an awesome car though, with the awesome old school paint job.

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
wow - thats a great resto. i was surprised though in pic 130 there is a spot on the firewall that is not up to par with the rest of the metal work. And in #164, the sticker is not perfect by anymeans. Little details, but if i noticed them and I am not paying a zillion trillion dollars for the resto, then it would certainly bother me as the owner.

Anyone catch this little wacky guy? http://www.mat.fi/project1929fordmodel-a.htm

Another good rally car resto midway thru - http://www.mat.fi/project1983audiouattroa2.htm

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
Very nice!!!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
That took a lot of time, patience, skills and tools. Wow. Got to love fabricators.

Being involved with the local Concourse d'Elegance and a race team you get to see a lot of final products or various stages, but never details like this. Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
That is incredible. What engine is that? Looks like a dual spark plug 4 cylinder?

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
Love it! I have always loved the 1982 to 1985 Celicas and 1982 to 1986 Supras.

For whatever it's worth the tailights on that Celica are from an 82 or 83 Celica, not an 84.

·
6,137 Posts
I believe the actual car is a Celica TCT Twincam Turbo TA64 - aka the Celica GT-TS. 4T-GTE is the engine I think and I believe its 290hp but it changed drastically in its life.

Although I dont think it is, it may be an RA63 which ihas a bit different of an engine - specs - http://www.rallye-info.com/carspecs.asp?car=222

Btu It hink the RA63 was a later model, this should be an TA64.

TA64 specs:

Celica Twincam Turbo
Official name Celica Twincam Turbo
Generation 3
Model Code TA64 TTE
Chassis Code
release date 1983
final date 1986
Comments Group B Rally monster From TTE (Team Toyota Europe).
Engine
Code 4T-GTE
Aspiration turbo (KKK/K27)
Cylinders 4
Valves/Cylinder 2
Valves 8
displacement 2090cm<sup>3</sup>
Bore 89.0mm
Stroke 84.0mm
Bore/Stroke Ratio 1.060
Compression ratio 8.0:1
Power output [email protected] (364bhp)
Torque output [email protected] (361lb/ft)
Power over displacement 129.732kW/1000cm<sup>3</sup> (173.974bhp/l)
Torque over displacement 234.450Nm/1000cm<sup>3</sup> (172.921lb/ft/l)
Fuel
Alternator
Battery
Head material
Block material
Ignition electronic
Injection NipponDenso Mechanical
Cooling air cooled intercooler
Cams twin overhead
Cam drive
Drivetrain
Transmission 5 speed manual
gear ratios
Final drive
Performance
Fuel Economy
Measurements
Length 4.284m (14' 0.7")
Width 1.785m (5' 10.3")
Height 1.310m (4' 3.6")
Wheel Base 2.500m (8' 2.4")
track width Front: 1.410m
Rear: 1.400m
mass 1100kg
fuel capacity
oil capacity
coolant capacity
Drag coefficient
Steering Wheel Rotations
Brakes
Brake System Features anchors
Front ventilated discs
Rear ventilated discs

·
Saved
643 Posts
Incredible! I wonder how much money gets poured into those types of high end restorations. I know it gets easily in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. I'd love to fully restore a 300SL Gullwing. I can imagine the price for that being astronomical though.

·
6,137 Posts
:lol: yes, very much so.

Keep in mind the Celica body is nearly the same for the TCT or the street versions. And they are piss cheap to get. Yes they fabbed a lot, but none the less, it helps with parts, measurements and reference. A Gullwing would be significantly more money in the starting shape.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
It's amazing to see how much effort is involved. Each pic represents many hours of work.

·
2JZ S13
2,207 Posts
unfucking real!

·
Turbology
434 Posts
That Celica was one of the last competitive RWD cars before AWD became the standard. Toyota almost brought a crazy 700hp AW11 MR2 to competition before Group B was regulated.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts