Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys whatsup. I don't have a supra but I'm a big fan, and I know there a lot of guys here that know a lot more about stereos than me so here goes

I have a lanzar vibe 1200d powering two jl 12w3. it is running at a 2 olm load, and the gains are turned down below half way.
The other day I'm listening to music at a volume of 35 out of a possible 50 which is not uncommon. So anyways the subs stop playing. So I assume it's a loose wire but when I go to check it all wires are tight so I turn the stereo on and the subs are working. So I turn it up and then the subs shut off. I repeat several times with the same result. The higher I turn up the volume the sooner the subs stop playing. After the subs stop playing I turn off the stereo and I can hear the amp shut off (leading me to believe the amp is always getting power). Then I turn the stereo back on and I can hear the amp switch on, but as soon as I turn it up the subs shortly stop working. Also the amp is cold to the touch so I don't think that heat is a factor.

Could someone please give me some ideas on what to do or what the problem could be. The amp is less than a year old and I don't think that this should be happening considering the levels the gains are at. Thanks in advance

·
0 Posts
Is your amp 2 ohm stable? It sounds like it is going to a protect mode. Try hooking up just one sub and crank it up, if dose not shut down you have found the problem. If it shuts down try the other sub, if still shuts down you have an amp problem. If dosn't shut down you have a sub problem. Hope this helps.

·
4,417 Posts
I agree...

Sounds like it is either over-heating (which you say it isn't)... or is seeing a short and going into protect mode. Make sure your subs are OK... doubel check Ground, Power, etc...

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. I feel kind of stupid because I took the subs out of the box and played them and they worked, put them back in and they shut down once, so now I think that it is a loose speaker wire connection on the sub. I am using the proper connectors but I am going to solder them in place this weekend and I think that should fix the problem.

But my subs are dual 2 ohm voicecoils, and the voicecoils are wired in series so each sub as a whole will have a 4 ohm impedence, then the subs are wired together in parallel so the amp will see an impedence of 2 ohm. Now say one sub has a connector loose, then since it is hooked up in series is no longer a closed loop and therefore now current should go through it. That would leave me with one sub running at 4 ohms which I think should be fine since it is stable down to 1 ohm. Maybe it doesn't like the sudden jump in impedence? I really shouldn't care as long as it doesn't happen again, I am just like to know the cause of problems. Thanks again for the help guys.

F

·
0 Posts
Sounds like your close. Remember, series is like an old set of Christmas tree lights, one bulb goes out and none work. If there is a problem internally with the first voice coil, nothing will play. If soldering the connectors doesn't work, I would try running your amp in stereo and wiring the voice coils in parallel. It will have the same amount of power (2 ohm mono or 1 ohm stereo is the same) and if only one sub quits working, you may be looking at a defective speaker.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts