Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
...For Me to SUP On!!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current plan is to use a JL 500/5 amp and an eclipse 5V HU along with either 2 10W6's or 2 S8L7's (thoughts on which would sound better (looking for tight bass that can go fairly low))... anyway, at this point i'd rather not make the time/money investment in new front/rear speakers so i was wondering if anyone had had any luck with amping the factory speakers... in the past i've heard good results from a strong clean power source going to lesser speakers... how bad are the factory setups? assuming the 2 subs take care of the low end, won't the factory front/rear speakers get me by on the mid/high end for a while?

thanks,
Jeff

·
Cool as Ice
274 Posts

I s'pose you could go with 10w6's if you're hooked on JL, leave the Kickers alone though. Try looking for some Diamond Audio MacDaddy subs they blow both of thoose out of water in the Sound Quality field. Yes, a good clean power source (Xtant, Mcintosh($$$$$$$$$), Phoenix Gold) can help out with lower end speakers, but not stock speaker low....People allways go to Subs to increase thier sound but internals are a HUGE addition, equal to clean subs. For internals look at JL XR series, Boston Acoustics, Diamond Audio (diamond being the least expencive with excellent sound, I personally like JL though).

·
...For Me to SUP On!!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what drawbacks are there to the Kickers? i'll look for a place that sells diamond audio... i don't quite follow what you said about amping the stock speakers "not stock speaker low" ?

when i do the components i want to do it right and remove the dash and install the tweeters in the factory location... i just bought the car and i'm not gung-ho on removing the whole dash just yet... but i'm not psyched about the complete lack of bass either... so that's what i was wanting to start off with subs... and i was thinking that amping the stock speakers would help them keep up volume-wise... i really don't mind the highs on the stock speakers... i'm not nearly as bothered by problems with that end of the spectrum i guess...

thanks,
Jeff

·
Cool as Ice
274 Posts
The drawback to the kicker is that they don't sound as nice as the ones I mentioned and I don't like them! :p www.buyloud.com is one place you can go check out the Diamond Audio speakers.
What I meant by "stock stereo low" is they are at the BOTTOM, VERY VERY BOTTOM of speaker quality, I doubt the power rating is very high either so that would limit your Amp selection.
Also, not all bass is below say 80hz (low sub crossover level), therefore, you need good, clean mid-bass drivers to catch the sounds subwoofers can't possibly replicate.

G

·
0 Posts
With a quality amp the stock speaker will sound great. They are not near as bad as jeffb makes them sound. The Kickers are a great sub and have great sound quality as well as the JL. If you were to compare them to the Diamonds they would sound just as good and the Image Dynamics are right there with them. As far as amps go, The JL amps are a pretty clean amp and sound very good. The Extant that was mentioned is a great amp to but the Mcintosh amps are overpriced and not that great as with the PG stuff. If you want the best sound for the price on components go with the MB Quarts, they have the most realistic sound and love lots of power. Diamond Audio is great equipment but overpriced. As far as a sub that will hit low and sound good the Image Dynamics are on top. The key is to build the right enclosure and tune the system properly.

L

·
0 Posts
hey jeff its zach the crew chief..

anyways, i have some higher end boston acoustics speakers, and i doubt they will fit in supra doors, i believe what most people run are MB Quarts.. cause they are shallow..
and for a retailer in omaha that sells Diamond, Metro Audio on 88th and L sells Diamond.
i like that JL amp, jl makes good amps, lots of built in features for the money.
are you looking to be able to keep your targa top in the back?? if so.. your space is really limited. but it can be done.. esp if yoo are good with fiberglass

1 - 6 of 6 Posts