Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How good is AMSOIL compared to Mobil 1? I know everyone loves Mobil 1, but I won't use it again. AMSOIL is recommended to be changed every 25k miles or one year (non-turbocharged). For turbocharged, about 9k miles. With the high price of AMSOIL, it can be justified paying more for longer oil life.

Does anyone use it, has anyone used it? Did you like it/hate it?

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
I can tell you this much...if you went to sell your car and you were truthful about your oil changes most all people would look at that bad and might even go on to the next car down the line even if the oil was good when you changed it at even 8k miles.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you go longer than the standard oil-change period? Do you notice any performance gains?

B

·
0 Posts
One difference I noticed between Mobil 1 and Amsoil is that I seemed to lose Mobil 1 more quickly (valve stem seals), implying that they might have different viscosities at room temp (even though both were 10W-30).

Bill

S

·
0 Posts
I've used AMSOIL Racing Oil since my first oil change. I've got 110k miles now. I've given my car hell and my engine still runs great. Now that its cool again, its running better than new. I change the oil every 6K miles or 5 months. Its expensive but worth it.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
If you like Amsoil then run it. I run Mobil 1 and really like it. It has the highest viscosity index of any oil I have seen except for Motul but for me Motul in too expensive $11 a liter. I have my engine oil analyzed after each change (3,000 to 3,500 miles) and the lab results say the Mobil 1 is at least good for 4,500 miles or longer and suggest I run it to then and get my oil analyzed again. But I don't do that because changing often is cheap insurance on engine life. I have run Mobil 1 since I bought the car 50K miles ago. The lab results on presence of metals, aluminum, lead, molybdenum, etc. are all about half of what you would expect to see in an engine of the mileage I have on my car. In other words, it is a very healthy engine. So Mobil 1 gets my vote. Besides who has run a MILLION mile test with an engine on a dynometer and disassembled the engine and spec'd it out afterwards for wear tolerance? Mobil 1 did that. The engine met NEW car tolerances except for one or two minor parts. For the money, Mobil 1. Now back to our regularly scheduled program.....
Barry H. 94ttsupra 6sp.:cool:

C

·
0 Posts
controler said:
I know everyone loves Mobil 1, but I won't use it again.
Why won't you use Mobil 1 again?

I've heard nothing but good things about both oils.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was a bad situation with leaky valve seals and 6k+rpms for about 40 seconds. (autocrossing). People say it wasn't the mobil 1's fault, but I won't use it again.

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Barry,

How do I find a lab that can analyze my oil and how much does it cost?
I'm in Los Angeles area.

Thx,

Jay :blue:

·
0 Posts
I think that AMSOIL is the best, i used in all my cars but i recommend that you do the oil change every 3000 miles. if anyone needs AMSOIL product E-mail me Ricky at [email protected] or call me (407)851-8655.
controler said:
How good is AMSOIL compared to Mobil 1? I know everyone loves Mobil 1, but I won't use it again. AMSOIL is recommended to be changed every 25k miles or one year (non-turbocharged). For turbocharged, about 9k miles. With the high price of AMSOIL, it can be justified paying more for longer oil life.

Does anyone use it, has anyone used it? Did you like it/hate it?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why is it you recommend 3000 miles? Amsoil's web page recommends three times normal changing periods for turbocharged cars. That is how they justify the more expensive price. Mobil 1 is suppodisly okay to go 25k miles, at least in new cars. But I dunno, I don't want to go 25k miles on an oil change.

·
0 Posts
me personally i like to do it every 3000 mile. but then again thats my opinion. if you have the money your car will appreciate. 25k miles is a long time dont you think? you can do it every 25k and the car will run good, but if you can do it sooner is better.
controler said:
Why is it you recommend 3000 miles? Amsoil's web page recommends three times normal changing periods for turbocharged cars. That is how they justify the more expensive price. Mobil 1 is suppodisly okay to go 25k miles, at least in new cars. But I dunno, I don't want to go 25k miles on an oil change.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts