Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and I wanted to take the time to publicly thank First State Motorsports (FSM) of Claymont, Delaware for ultimately finishing a job that others in the recent past have miserably failed. We have to thank Josh, Dan, and the rest of the FSM crew for taking on a most daunting task and delivering a superior product.

Our Supra’s original engine quit in June 2007, and we immediately began the process of purchasing the parts necessary for making the vehicle road worthy again. At the time we were faced with an extremely limited budget and a deficiency for mechanical skills and talent. The following account is a description of how our vehicle ultimately found its way to the care and attention of the team at FSM.

From June 2007 to approximately June 2008, the car had been to two mechanics who claimed they were up to the task. The first mechanic did absolutely nothing with the car, and after a number of months of it collecting dust in his garage, we decided to move it to another local shop that proceeded to pull the motor and just about everything else from the engine bay. This second shop did not perform any additional work, and the car was then moved to a third mechanic who is/was considered to be a competent Supra mechanic.

The car sat under a tree and was basically left to die slowly at this third mechanic’s shop. In the time this mechanic had the vehicle, nothing was completed on the car, and after calling multiple times for updates, I kept receiving excuse after excuse regarding the lack of progress on our car. After a period of approximately 6.5 months, the car was then moved to FSM.

I first found out about First State Motorsports on the forums under shop reviews. After reading the account, I thought that perhaps they would be able to assist in my brother’s and my situation. From the first time Josh picked up the phone, I knew I was dealing with a professional and a businessman. Josh took the time to listen to my situation, evaluate the nature of the build, and proceeded to offer a resolution. Well after a few more phone calls ironing out details, Josh had won our business. To make things easier, the FSM team drove hours to take possession of the car and all of its parts and transport them back to their shop.

One of the qualities noted about Josh and First State is their communication with customers. Josh and his team remained in constant contact, and they provided updates that were meaningful and substantive to the project at hand. Again, from start to finish my brother and I had the pleasure of experiencing this quality. It is without a doubt the single most important tool a shop has to maintain good relationships with their customers.

Without getting into too much detail about the build now, FSM detected a number of issues that made them call into question the integrity of the work previously done by the three prior shops. Knowing that they wouldn’t be able to stand behind someone else’s work, we authorized First State to look into everything mechanically and fix anything that they deemed necessary. This is irritating because we were now paying two times for something that was supposed to have been done correctly in the past.

After a number of hurdles, countless hours of work, and some minor logistical delays, Josh called this past week and gave us the news that the car was ready for preliminary road use. We made our trip to Delaware on Saturday, July 18 to pick it up. Josh was there to give us a full overview of everything that had been done to the car; he even took the time to show us some of the more serious issues we had and how his team rectified the problems. After about 45 minutes of going over the car, Josh fired it up and took me for my first ride in over 2 years. Initially, the car felt good, solid – just like a Toyota should. Then he proceeded to get on I-95 and head south. Leaning into the throttle slightly, Josh brought the car up to speed. The sound of the turbo and exhaust coupled with the feel of a solid build put a huge smile on my face. I was at a loss for words. I was beyond happy; I was beyond tears of joy. First State Motorsports didn’t just fix our car; they brought it back to life. I will never forget that first ride.

The car now has approximately 450 miles on the new motor, and there isn’t a single leak under the car or wet spot near any of the critical fluid lines. Everything mechanically about the car is rock solid, and I will dare say that it drives better now than it ever did. We are scheduled for a follow-up with First State to monitor the progress and address anything deemed necessary.

Again, I’m so grateful that First State was accommodating, and that they took their time to make sure everything was done correctly. To Josh, Dan, and the rest of the FSM crew, my brother and I wanted to extend to your our deepest thanks for making it possible for us to enjoy this hobby again. You guys didn’t get another customer, but rather you earned a client. And we gained friends.

Thinking that this is a dream, I’m still pinching myself but I’m not waking up. This is reality . . . this is First State Motorsports of Claymont, Delaware.

· Supraforums Member
954 Posts
Couldn't have said it better myself. We are very satisfied with the way the guys handled everything especially when other shop's mistakes would pop up. They have our business now, and in the future, as we continue to modify our cars.

· Registered
12 Posts
Vinn and Mike,

It was seriously a pleasure to rescue your car! This was a ton of work, and alot of time, effort, and money on your guys' part, but in the end it all worked out great! We really appreciate you guys giving credit to our customer service, which I agree is the most important tool a shop can posses. You guys are great clients and we look forward to turning that car into a beast in the months to come! Getting paid is the best part of this game, but making you guys happy is a very close second, and that's the truth!

To give everyone else an idea, this car was brought to us in boxes. Transmission in the trunk, turbo kit on the backseat, fuel system on the floor, etc....A ton of little odds and ends turned up up missing, no doubt a result of the car changing hands so many times. This was one of the more challenging builds we have encountered over the years, and we went at it full bore. We had to go through everything in triplicate as to ensure that we could stand behind the build. I'm glad we did, because some things we caught early on would have been a huge deal after the motor was in and running. In the end, we presented them with a leak, smoke, and noise free build that purred like a kitten :naughty:

[email protected]

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pics will be available once my brother has a chance to upload them. There are tentative plans for the near future to have the car placed on the dyno in which time there may be an opportunity for a few video clips.

Stay tuned.

· Getrag Gearhead
1,858 Posts
Josh has taken care of stuff I've needed in the past and recently.

I'd recommend First State Motorsports to anyone who is looking for work in that area.

-Joe

· RoastBeefCurtain Commando
8,910 Posts
I know and delt with Josh and Dan in the past.
two very good guys that will go out of their way to help out and get things done right

BTW Josh, this is your homeboy Pete from PA (ITR206)
tell Dan i said whats up. give me a holla one of these days.

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Talking about going out of their way . . . we ran into an issue with the transmission last week. Seeing as though the car made it back to its home 2+ hours outside of Philly, Josh was accomodating in extending his personal services; costing us very little in the long run to tow the car back to Delaware.

I'm very happy that the car is back with them, because I know they will resolve the issue. In my humble opinion, I think there are too many entrepreneurially-minded individuals who enter Josh's and Dan's profession with good intentions, only to sour over time and become focused on the bottom line. These guys love making money, as I myself do, but they actually give a damn about the services they provide. The latter is what sets them apart from many shops that my brother and I have dealt with in the past.

· Getrag Gearhead
1,858 Posts
Thanks Joe!

Wheres the pics of this beast?

Josh
Still collecting more parts. I really don't want to show my build thread until I have the vehicle back from the body shop and the engine builtup. I'll keep you posted though along with everyone else.

· Who's the Master?!
6,272 Posts
Pietro!

Ive seen you lurking around here, pm me your number, id like to catch up with ya!

Joe--Ill keep an eye out for that build thread, and I have plenty of samcos for GE/GTE waiting for you!

[email protected]
Josh, did you get my PM?

· Supraforums Member
954 Posts
Finally uploaded pictures off my memory card. This is what the boys had to work with:

Also the interior was literally overflowing with parts. If you notice the hatch in the last pic, you'll see that it's not shut.... because it couldn't be with everything inside of it haha. Again, just shy of a year later, FSM's work has been holding together strong. The only problem encountered was the trans and TC going out about a month after being put together. But FSM's work had nothing to do with the failure, I think it has something to do with the fact that when the parts were picked up on the day the pics were taken, the trans was tilted as we were picking it up and for some reason water came out of the dip stick port.... not happy about that, and perhaps its unrelated to the failure, but you don't put parts in a area where water can get inside them. When FSM got the car everything was stored inside and well taken care of. Thanks again Josh and Dan, you guys truly went above and beyond.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.