Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey bro, it's Thomas Kenyon.

I couldn't help but notice somethin'.. The picture in your Supraforum sig, is it from "Grand Sport Speedway" up in Houston?

I took my Supra out there for a rented track day a few weeks ago and the tumbleweeds looked kinda familiar!

I used to road race motorcycles quite a bit over the years and have raced TWS numerous times on bikes but, let me tell you... I would really love to get a Supra on the track at TWS! I went to Grand Sport with "ThunderSport Racing" a few weeks ago and I gotta say I enjoyed it much more than I expected. I "thought" driving around a track in a car would be kinda lame after all the bike racing I have done.

WRONG!

The guys at "ThunderSport" racing are Porsche guys. The owner of the team has his nose so high in the air he can't even see straight! Porsche this and Porsche that! They have a couple RS Americas all SCCA'd out and pretty fun to drive however.

Kinda funny though... one of the driver's on the team was begging me to let him drive my car on the track. We took it out with him behind the wheel. After a few laps, he told me he enjoyed the Supra more than any other car they had! He said it was kinda sad that not many people use them in SCCA.

A second, older guy took the wheel of my car for a few laps. Never ever driven a Supra. Kinda funny.. after getting the boost "on" a bit too early during one of the sweepers, the Supra was sliding in a un-regainable slide. After we stopped on the track, I calmly looked at him and said, "This ain't no Porsche buddy. It has power. You have to be careful"

He kinda looked at me and said, "What the hell does that mean?"
I said, "Just be careful, it's not your Porsche"
He replied, "I'm sorry, I wasn't expecting that much power"

He had no idea.

Oh well, thought this was somethin' you'd like to read..

You know these guys from Thundersport Racing? I'll attatch a photo of one of their Porsches

Have a good one bro.

Thomas Kenyon

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
Thomas,

Thanks for the great story, that was funny as hell. Yes, the picture in my sig is from the hitchcock blimp base aka the Grand Sport Speedway. It's a real fun albeit slow course. The Supra club rented this track this year at the Tx2k1 Supra meet in Houston, and probably will be doing so again at the Tx2k2 meet in March (at least I hope we do).

TWS is also way fun in a car ain't it? I go with the NASA-TX (www.nasatx.com) people all the time, it's a blast.

Andi

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Your experiences with Porsche guys match mine exactly. They really have no idea what its like to drive a car that actually makes a lot of power. I guess there are some like that everywhere :)

·
0 Posts
Grant said:
Your experiences with Porsche guys match mine exactly. They really have no idea what its like to drive a car that actually makes a lot of power. I guess there are some like that everywhere :)

It's Funny how they still seem to beat the supras everytime out there. While your waiting to make alot of power they are passing you. But racing is all about having fun.

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
993Fan said:

It's Funny how they still seem to beat the supras everytime out there. While your waiting to make alot of power they are passing you. But racing is all about having fun.
It's also funny how I haven't been beat by a Porsche yet on the road course. Last time I was out at Texas World Speedway in my car, I pulled away from a yellow 996TT at about one second per lap. Afterwards, he said that was the first time anybody's ever beaten him on street tires, and that I should goto a Porsche Club event to clean house and gain some respect for Supras. (his words....)

Andi

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
993Fan said:

Oh, you must be much more knowlegable about this stuff than me. I guess you have more than 200 miles of track time in a 996 C2 huh? And many more in a Supra?

If my supra were stock, I'd say it would be close vs. a 996. But its not stock, and even if it was the Supra would have an advantage in braking and acceleration (especially past 2nd gear).

One second per lap is a looong time. It might not be so bad in an autocross, where you get a limited number of runs, but once you have done the number of laps Andi probably has at TWS, you can't just pull a second out of your ass.

S

·
0 Posts
ThomasKenyon said:
Hey bro, it's Thomas Kenyon.

I couldn't help but notice somethin'.. The picture in your Supraforum sig, is it from "Grand Sport Speedway" up in Houston?

I took my Supra out there for a rented track day a few weeks ago and the tumbleweeds looked kinda familiar!

I used to road race motorcycles quite a bit over the years and have raced TWS numerous times on bikes but, let me tell you... I would really love to get a Supra on the track at TWS! I went to Grand Sport with "ThunderSport Racing" a few weeks ago and I gotta say I enjoyed it much more than I expected. I "thought" driving around a track in a car would be kinda lame after all the bike racing I have done.

WRONG!

The guys at "ThunderSport" racing are Porsche guys. The owner of the team has his nose so high in the air he can't even see straight! Porsche this and Porsche that! They have a couple RS Americas all SCCA'd out and pretty fun to drive however.

Kinda funny though... one of the driver's on the team was begging me to let him drive my car on the track. We took it out with him behind the wheel. After a few laps, he told me he enjoyed the Supra more than any other car they had! He said it was kinda sad that not many people use them in SCCA.

A second, older guy took the wheel of my car for a few laps. Never ever driven a Supra. Kinda funny.. after getting the boost "on" a bit too early during one of the sweepers, the Supra was sliding in a un-regainable slide. After we stopped on the track, I calmly looked at him and said, "This ain't no Porsche buddy. It has power. You have to be careful"

He kinda looked at me and said, "What the hell does that mean?"
I said, "Just be careful, it's not your Porsche"
He replied, "I'm sorry, I wasn't expecting that much power"

He had no idea.

Oh well, thought this was somethin' you'd like to read..

You know these guys from Thundersport Racing? I'll attatch a photo of one of their Porsches

Have a good one bro.

Thomas Kenyon
The 993's, 996's, and the TT cars are moderatly fast around the track but the older cars like mine lap them easily. Out here in Phoenix we have some very high hp cars but even them get passed by us. Since my car weighs about 1900lbs at the track and over 200hp it gives me a distinct advantage. The only other cars out here that hang are other built Porsches. If you want to see some sick (but expensive) Porsche stuff check out www.cmwracing.com and www.powerhaus.com See ya.

A

·
0 Posts
Andi said:

It's also funny how I haven't been beat by a Porsche yet on the road course. Last time I was out at Texas World Speedway in my car, I pulled away from a yellow 996TT at about one second per lap. Afterwards, he said that was the first time anybody's ever beaten him on street tires, and that I should goto a Porsche Club event to clean house and gain some respect for Supras. (his words....)

Andi
Andi, I've seen some of your videos.

If you have spent as much time on the track as you claim, you have to realize that the driver makes all of the difference.

Maybe I'll make it to Texas some time or you'll make it to California and we can see what you can do on the track against a 996TT driven by another amateur track fan...

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
always_laughing said:

Andi, I've seen some of your videos.

If you have spent as much time on the track as you claim, you have to realize that the driver makes all of the difference.

Maybe I'll make it to Texas some time or you'll make it to California and we can see what you can do on the track against a 996TT driven by another amateur track fan...
Absolutely true... driver is way more than 50% of the equation.. probably more like 90%.

Let me know if you're ever in Texas for an event... that sounds like fun. I'm always up for going to the track... sheeyit, I went to Motorsport Ranch last saturday in the pouring rain and I'm going again this Saturday hopefully in the dry.. :D

One of the things I'd REALLY love to do is drive Laguna Seca one day. In real life, I mean. ;) I'll make sure to post if I ever do head out that way to see if any other MKIV.COMers or Supraforums ppl want to meet up... Might be next summer or so if I do it....

Andi

P

·
0 Posts
Andi,

This may seem like a stupid question, but..

How did you start road racing? How did you learn it all?

I thought i read a something about you on boostaholic, and you told some books that really helped you out...I cant remember though, I might be wrong.

Thanks

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
poweraddict said:
Andi,

This may seem like a stupid question, but..

How did you start road racing? How did you learn it all?

I thought i read a something about you on boostaholic, and you told some books that really helped you out...I cant remember though, I might be wrong.

Thanks
I started by going to an open track event w/ instruction... stuff like they do at www.nasatx.com and www.thedriversedge.net and www.johneagleperformance.com . In fact it was a John Eagle honda event in July of 2000 that was my first time driving on a road course.. at TWS. That plus the way I take corners on the street gave me a head start... ;-)

Also my best friend is an awesome driver and a member at the Motorsport Ranch and he took me out there for rides and then let me drive and instructed me on how to improve.... then with lots of practice I got to be halfway decent at it.

Here are some books I like:

Regards,
Andi

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Hey Andi,
Saw part of your response talking about hoping to make it to Laguna Seca one day. That is one beautiful track. It has a lot of character. One of these years I am going to drive that track too (I am in Alabama). If you are thinking about making it there this year, I would suggest you do it at the Tracquest event held there. My "driver's education" event last weekend at Road Atlanta was a Tracquest event. They put on an excellent event and have some very good instructors. My instructor was a pretty prolific road racer and one of the instructors was from Europe and his home track was Spa (moment of reverence here) I only went on Saturday and it rained half way through the day. I still felt like I got my money's worth. You can get 6 to 8 hours of track time at their events. Todd told me this week one guy said he did 175 miles at Road Atlanta. Also as to their rules, I was in the blue group which is the level below the instructors. In our group on straights passsing with allowed with or with signal from the car being passed. You could pass in the turns with signal. In the instructor group you could pass at any point (Better be comfortable with very sane but somewhat close passing). They had some serious freakin vehicles too like a virgin Speedvision Porsche (think it was a GT3?), and eighties groud effects Porsche GTX, and a ex-Winston Cup car (yee haw). Road Atlanta is also one of the better road courses in the world because it too has character and is very technical. It is also a higher speed track than Laguna Seca. So if you don't make Laguna, come do Atlanta. I think I am going to be able to get some Supras to show up the next time. Although doing the corkscrew at Laguna has to be a Kodak moment.
Barry H.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts