Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Confirmed Power Junkie
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahh, the perfect evening! The rain has dried up again, the NorCal air is warm, and the Viper has its top down and the stereo cranked up. I swing by the local shopping center to pick up a copy of the just-released "Splinter Cell-Chaos Theory" and a cup of coffee, and am on my way back home on Woodside road when I see... up ahead, turning onto Woodside, yes! a Black SL with 4 tailpipes. I catch up to him in a couple of lights and sure enough, the rear decklid reads "SL55 ... AMG". I'm tucked right on the SL's tail as he accelerates out of the light, and I stay a carlength behind to make sure he gets the message as we cross 50 MPH.

At the next light both lanes are clear, and we're rolling toward the stoplight side by side at perhaps 15 mph when the light turns. The mercedes lunges forward; I'm in 2nd gear but there's no time to shift so I nail the throttle. The V10 inhales cool evening air and lunges forward, grabbing the SL55 by an invisible tether and YANKING it backwards with a ferocity which is surprising. Remember that E55 vs SLR video? This is much more dramatic. The SRT surges through 2nd gear, and at about 60 MPH both rear tires light up as the engine hits peak torque. I tag the rev limiter instantly, already two carlengths ahead, grab 3rd and put two more carlengths on the SL55 in the couple seconds it takes to hit 90 MPH. With the SL fading quickly and my mental speedo flashing "GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL", I hit the binders and shortly return to legal speeds. The SL pulls back up along side me and the driver looks over and waves. I give him a wave and a big thumbs up, and then he's on his way into Woodside and I'm turning off to head home.

Big power and light weight... how sweet it is :) I'm looking forward to grudge night on 4/16!

·
Confirmed Power Junkie
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
> So what have you done to this Viper?

Nothing much. Heads, 3.55 rear gears, line lock, supercharger, custom tune, drag radials... 680 RWHP, 611 RWTQ SAE. You know, just the usual bolt-ons :)

I just finished installing Splinter cell... report coming shortly.

·
Confirmed Power Junkie
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wanted to keep it quiet, streetable and smog-legal. This car runs perfectly on 91 octane pump gas, has stock headers/cats/exhaust, and is as tractable and streetable as a stocker. It's a very nice combo. My wife probably won't even notice that it's supercharged :D

·
95 Hardtopper X 2
1,709 Posts
Nice kill, btw just got back from the NY autoshow and fell in love with the Viper SRT-10 coupe, it had red w/white stripes.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Awesome kill....
Sounds like those basic bolt ons did quite well for you! :D
That new SRT10 coupe is gonna be sweeeeeeeet :bigthumb:

·
Confirmed Power Junkie
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Splinter Cell is pretty good, FYI. Bit of a learning curve compared to normal FPS games, but intriguing.

·
776 Posts
Is the game pretty much the same as the previous two with different levels? I am tempted to pick it up due to the added co-op play.

·
Confirmed Power Junkie
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
David - I haven't played the other games in the series [yet] so it's difficult to compare.

> do you still have the sl65? how does the viper stack up against it?

This Viper is quite a bit faster. I'd say low/mid 130s trap speed, vs high 120s for the SL65.

·
Confirmed Power Junkie
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These days the SL and the SRT are it - everything else is just transportation.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
HERVIPR - 1 SL - 0 :)

Sounds like fun, i don't see a lot of sl55s around here............only a few and they never ever wanna run, always some middleaged dude in a suit and just glares at me :(

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
what a way to waste a SL55. Nice kill.

I'd love to know your "transportation".

My other transportation is a bmx bike :(

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
90 on woodside rd? holy crap... i'm glad you didn't get arrested... i got race gas last night @ the 76 and there were about 4 cops between the station, 101, & 280.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts