Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
JZA80
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going through my car and fixing all the small annoying things and I found this:

(see passenger side where the hood + bumper meets)

Does anyone know how to fix this? Car has never been in an accident so it should all be aligning up straight. :confused:

Tried pushing the bumper up, etc. No luck...

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Does your front bumper cover contain the white rigid foam insert? If so, is it seated correctly into the cover and its edges? The fit around your lights appears to be fine, and if all of your clips align to the core support holes I would suspect the cover itself as either missing that foam insert or being warped slightly which isn't common on the MKIV...

·
Champagne Papi
5,694 Posts
Loosen the hood bolts and pull it front (8th inch) then tighten the bolts. But I would also double check the foam as mentioned above.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I would look at the bumper foam & mounting as well, your left to right is perfect on the fenders so its not the hood that is out of alignment.

·
Hardtop >
1,139 Posts
I agree with Pakman looks to be a hood alignment issue. The area where the left edge of the hood meets the edge of the fender looks to be off and not flush. I would try to align the hood and see if that works.

·
JZA80
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I got my front bumper off and noticed these brackets are not properly aligned:

The left side has more space vs the right side. Could this be the culprit?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
That car was like that when I drove it in Palo Alto before you took ownership. I walked away. It looked like the car bumped into something ever so lightly. There was also damage near the right rear wheel that you've likely had fixed by now.

·
JZA80
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
That car was like that when I drove it in Palo Alto before you took ownership. I walked away. It looked like the car bumped into something ever so lightly. There was also damage near the right rear wheel that you've likely had fixed by now.
Interesting, didn't know the issue even existed then. I've never really noticed it until now. (Although I've had the bumper off multiple times which probably has caused it to become more noticeable).

Which damage are you referring to? The paint that was touched up?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I am going to go with what the posters said above. It appears the passenger side of the hood needs to be adjusted further forward, and the rubber stopper on the passender side needs to be lowered.

·
JZA80
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am going to go with what the posters said above. It appears the passenger side of the hood needs to be adjusted further forward, and the rubber stopper on the passender side needs to be lowered.
How can I adjust the hood forward? Also, I've messed with the rubber stopper completely... no luck. :(

·
Inline for the win
4,727 Posts
Adjust the hood mounts

·
Boost Junkie
12,613 Posts
All of that is adjustable. No big deal at all.

Steve

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have the exact same issue with my car! Tried the bumpers as well without any luck. I noticed it after I replaced my twins when the hood was propped open for about 2 weeks. Has been that that ever since for the past 3 years

Attachments

·
Boost Junkie
12,613 Posts
Holby, you just need to adjust the pass side hood stop-the rubber stopper that is threaded. Your whole hood is sticking up on the pass side. IF that doesn't work try replacing the stock shouldered bolts on the hood latch not that side with normal bolts and adjusting it.

Steve

·
JZA80
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Checked the bumper foam, all looks good there. Will try messing with the hood mounts + hood latch (&) bolts.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Holby, you just need to adjust the pass side hood stop-the rubber stopper that is threaded. Your whole hood is sticking up on the pass side. IF that doesn't work try replacing the stock shouldered bolts on the hood latch not that side with normal bolts and adjusting it.

Steve
I have adjusted the bumpers in all the way on the side that is high and out on the other side to try to even it out and it doesn't change a thing. Will check out those bolts.

·
JZA80
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Anyone else have any ideas? :) Would really like to figure out why/how this is not aligned properly:

Anyone have their bumper off so they can check? :)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Alek, what I think causes this is having the hood propped up with the stock hood prop. I've noticed this in my past supras by using the stock hood prop and have the hood propped for an extended length of time the hood seaps on the driver side and causes the passeranger side to bend up like you've pointed out.

IIRC you have the aftermarket hood shocks that hold your hood? But if the pervious owner didn't have them and used the stock hood prop, it may have caused your hood to bend.

I started propping my hood up by puting the prop in the middle so the weight of the hood is evenly distributed.

So what I have done was to bend the hood back into shape is by holding the hood up with my hands and bending the left side to get it even.

I'm NOT saying this is the correct way of doing it, but this is what I've done in the past.

·
JZA80
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I'm 90% sure I fixed the issue tonight. I'm running a Max Air box /w K&N filter and the rubber molding that goes on the top seemed pretty high. I removed it and now the hood appears to sit a lot more level now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts