Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On his first trip to the track this year, John Firth ran a [email protected] with his SP74GTS car. Stock head, valves, intake, t.b.
272 cams, AEM (tuned by himself), 3-row, RPS C/C (old style), no spray.
He had a 1.58 60' on that pass.

Big congrats Johnny, you definately deserve it!!!

Tim

·
Premium Member
12,615 Posts
Good job, John! Can't wait to see what the car does after more tuning and more passes! :)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
That's awesome . Who needs an auto anyway?? Have you run your car w/ the GT47 yet, Tim?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Nice nice!!

I have a feeling we will have a dozen or so street 6 spds in the 9's this year...should be a good year! We had so many were were SO close at the end of last year.

Congrats man!

Brett

·
basupra's worst nightmare
1,267 Posts
Thanks Tim! Get that tranny fixed so you can run your 9 too!

I was fighting traction issues all day. The car was all over the place in the first 1/8 for many of the passes. I also had some passes that would have been 9s but I missed a gear, I was a little rusty, first time out of the year! :)

Here is the breakdown of the run:
60ft - 1.58 (crappy)
330 - 4.346
1.8 - [email protected]
1000 - 8.362
1/4 - [email protected]

I think there is a good deal more in the car, once I get some coil-overs and some more seat time, I hope to knock off a couple more tenths. The car has full interior except for the back seat and a 6pt roll bar.

I was running 26x11.5 ET Streets on CCW wheels.

·
Banned
942 Posts
basupra said:
On his first trip to the track this year, John Firth ran a [email protected] with his SP74GTS car. Stock head, valves, intake, t.b.
272 cams, AEM (tuned by himself), 3-row, RPS C/C (old style), no spray.
He had a 1.58 60' on that pass.

Big congrats Johnny, you definately deserve it!!!

Tim
Congrats John.... Nice times.

Chris.

·
cinnamon jelly bean
1,653 Posts
Congrats John,we knew it was only a matter of time before you broke that barrier. I'm sure you'll go even quicker once you get used to going down the track again. Once thats all taken care of I'm sure we'll be seeing you making more power as well to go even faster. Congrats again, its a big accomplishment. :bigthumb:

·
Boost Junkie
12,740 Posts
Congrats! What track? Us Indiana guys need to get together sometime.

Steve K.

·
Inline for the win
4,776 Posts
Nice times John. I should be seeing you, Tim and Eric in the next three weeks for tuning setup on my SP74GTS car.

DP

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Very nice John...congrats on that 9!!! What boost level was that at anyway? How much do you slip your RPS Carbon Carbon when you come out of the hole? Can you give an example if you are not getting traction vs the car hooking up really well?

You said you weren't getting traction all day and I have seen you complain before about traction there (assuming it was the same track)...did they put down VHT right before you ran, or did you just get lucky?

Take Care

·
Registered
353 Posts
Congrats John! You deserve it! :bigok: I'm sure this is only the beginning and deeper 9's are on the way! But only if you allow me to do the tuning! :bootyshak :lol:

Tim: Time to change your "Location" ! :lol:

·
basupra's worst nightmare
1,267 Posts
Thanks again guys!

To answer a few more questions.

CrazY fCuK and Evill Supra:
This was at Muncie Dragway, in Muncie, IN.

TT_6SPD_95:
The boost was fluctuating and I'd say on average was around 31-32PSI.
My launching technique is fairly simple. I launch on the 2 step and do a quick slip/dump. I've never had good success with trying to slip the clutch a lot. I basicially slip it until the car gets moving and dump it. My first couple runs had 60fts in the 1.8 range and the car was all over the track. This was during the time trials. Before the eliminations started, they sprayed down VHT and I started hooking up better and cut 1.61, 1.55 and 1.58 60fts. I really think my 65k mile stock suspension is pretty tired and hurting me a lot, just as Tim!

Power wise, I dont know, but at the boost level I ran I would guess around 800 at least. I was having some unstable boost control and it was bouncing around my target +-1 or 2 psi in some parts of the run. I don't really know what is up with that, but I have to look into it. My boost control up to this point has been very stable and I have no idea why it was doing what it was yesterday, especially because I haven't changed any boost control settings in the AEM.

Sal, I'll let you tune my car if you let me drive your viper when it's back together! :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts