Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ryan, I purchased a Turbo from you brand new about 8 months ago and I have about less than 2k miles on it. I took the car out for a spin 20 minutes ago and all of a sudden it started to whine right before boost range. Got home, popped the hood, turbo won't spin. Sighs, headaches...

Is there anything you can do for me? Do you or Precision offer some sort of 1yr warranty or discount on rebuild/upgrade?

Any help would be great!

Thanks, Vince

·
Espresso Connoisseur
1,636 Posts
:( that sucks homie

·
Registered
358 Posts
Damn Vinze, we got the 71gtq at the same time. You are scaring me. How many miles did you have on it? How did the whine sound like? I have a wierd whine in mine, I hope its not the turbo.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
tntperformance said:
Damn Vinze, we got the 71gtq at the same time. You are scaring me. How many miles did you have on it? How did the whine sound like? I have a wierd whine in mine, I hope its not the turbo.
That weird whine is mostly just you being a bitch! Quit yer bitchin and you won't hear the whine anymore!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
How common is this? And what exactly is failing on these? I have seen a few personally fail.

·
Registered
570 Posts
WOW... PTE has STILL yet to fix this problem???? Do a search under my username and read my 5 page long post about this turbocharger. I think I went through 3 of em.. first the make a pinging sound, then the whole center section blows out or something. Since then I have switched to a PTE74GTS and have had no problems... Do not let PTE tell you they have not had a problem with the 71's. Jim at PTE was a really nice guy and gave me a 74GTS instead of a 4th 71. Remember to change your oil feed line just to make sure nothing in clogged.. its cheap insurance when switching out a turbo. Good Luck!

·
Boost Dealer
981 Posts
I can help get you discount rebuilds at MDC Motorsports, Jon does _awesome_ work.

email me if interested.

Jeff

·
Registered
570 Posts
I also must say that Larry at SP did nothing but help me out to a superior level when it came to this problem, he put me directly in touch with PTE and we all worked out a good resolution. I honestly think my feed line was the issue... although a lot of people talk about this turbo going bad.. so who knows if everyone has a bad feed line or what? Im sure Ryan will do the same as Larry... good luck to getting it resolved.

·
Registered
12 Posts
VINZE said:
Ryan, I purchased a Turbo from you brand new about 8 months ago and I have about less than 2k miles on it. I took the car out for a spin 20 minutes ago and all of a sudden it started to whine right before boost range. Got home, popped the hood, turbo won't spin. Sighs, headaches...

Is there anything you can do for me? Do you or Precision offer some sort of 1yr warranty or discount on rebuild/upgrade?

Any help would be great!

Thanks, Vince

fastest in SC my ass........hahaha

·
Under Construction
555 Posts
You guys are scaring me. I bought my 71GTQ lst year but only have 100 miles or so on it. Should I be worried or this problem rare?

·
Registered
522 Posts
SP71Supra said:
I also must say that Larry at SP did nothing but help me out to a superior level when it came to this problem, he put me directly in touch with PTE and we all worked out a good resolution. I honestly think my feed line was the issue... although a lot of people talk about this turbo going bad.. so who knows if everyone has a bad feed line or what? Im sure Ryan will do the same as Larry... good luck to getting it resolved.
Theres been some very random failures with PTE turbos on DSM's as well, in my personal circumstance the oil line I was told to use got gunked up and wasn't feeding the turbo correctly. Per Supras I have a 67 P-Trim from PTE with 10k miles (got it used) and the catridge was tip top when I get it inspected. I find it curious that they would only have issues with the 71, because you'd image all of the turbos in the 67-76 range would have the same CHRA or shaftsize and what not. I'd be curious for Ryan or Larry to chime in on whats different on the 71 if anything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts