Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
161k on the clock, lots of 14psi boosting on the stock ct for the last 3,000. Reason for teardown was a pretty nasty knock that developed due to low oil pressure (cause of which you can see in the gallery). It seems there was a quarter inch layer of crap covering my entire oil pump pickup screen! I still don't know what it is, though it seems like shredded gasket material with little flakes of copper. Rod bearings actually looked in great shape, very minimal wear and no copper whatsoever. Cams on the other hand look toasty...

http://kahmeal.com/poopra/teardown/

Block/head/crank/rods are all going to the machine shop this week. Full balance, .02 over, deck & head milled/lapped to a 9-14 RA, crank polished. JE Pistons and all ARP hardware will be used in conjunction with a cometic mhg. Still debating wether or not stock rods will be kept though, any thoughts on this?

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
holy crap dood

yeah no wonder you had issues. i dont see any reason to upgrade the rods. maybe at the most have them balanced/shot peened. there are several 600rw+ cars running stock rods and in my 6yrs i have yet to see rod failure on a 7m.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
that's a bit extreme

N

·
0 Posts
Awesome! Im doing a similair thing in the future...keep posting on progress and keep taking pix!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll be washing it later today when I pull her back to our dorm lots. And yes, that auto hobby shop is a godsend :) 50 bucks for 10 hours of lift time and access to any tools in the world... Plus I've now made friends with a few of the guys there so most of the time I don't pay anything to work there =)

·
Señor Member
4,741 Posts
Wow, crazy stuff. BTW, why did you take the harness off the engine before you pulled it out? Disconnecting it from the ECU would have been much easier and will make installing the engine back in much faster.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think those were my bearings, the bearings looked fine -- there was no indication of copper anywhere, it all looked fine... I want to get this crap analyzed somewhere to find out what it is heh.

The engine harness I unhooked before pulling the motor only because I didn't feel like messing with my MAF splices and I needed to remove it for disassembly of the block anyway. I'll be buying a brand new harness before the new motor goes in, this thing is way too brittle for me to feel comfortable about using it. Not to mention all the now broken connectors on it ;)

·
Registered
555 Posts
cre3d said:
I want to get this crap analyzed somewhere to find out what it is heh.
Yes, that would be No1 on my agenda, scary :) let us know what was grinded!
Are you going to flush the whole engine with highpressured water to get all that crap out of it too?
Good luck with it!

:: zooloo

·
boost hungry
665 Posts
dbsupra said:

yeah no wonder you had issues. i dont see any reason to upgrade the rods. maybe at the most have them balanced/shot peened. there are several 600rw+ cars running stock rods and in my 6yrs i have yet to see rod failure on a 7m.
How much does it genrealy cost for a machince shop to balance and shotpeen rods?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts