Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I'm your huckleberry...
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Russian authorities clear villages near nuclear test site as it emerges radiation levels rose after recent blast

·
...pop the hood!
813 Posts
not good...

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,157 Posts

·
I'm your huckleberry...
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

According to three of the doctors, including both senior sources, one of the doctors flown to Moscow was found to have Caesium-137 — a radioactive isotope that is a byproduct of the nuclear fission of uranium-235 — in their muscle tissue. One of the sources said the affected doctor had told him so directly, though he was not informed about the amount or concentration of the isotope found.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,157 Posts
^ Actually, it's the radiation ionizing the air. When there's that much radiation, things are very, very bad.

·
I'm your huckleberry...
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^ Actually, it's the radiation ionizing the air. When there's that much radiation, things are very, very bad.
It can also be due to Cherenkov radiation if the criticality occurs in water or is experienced by the human eye.

Blue glow[edit]

In a nuclear setting, Cherenkov radiation is instead seen in dense media such as water or in a solution such as uranyl nitrate in a reprocessing plant. Cherenkov radiation could also be responsible for the "blue flash" experienced in an excursion due to the intersection of particles with the vitreous humour within the eyeballs of those in the presence of the criticality. This would also explain the absence of any record of blue light in video surveillance of the more recent incidents.

·
I'm your huckleberry...
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

A quote (in translation): "According to Novaya Gazeta, three patients were taken to the Arkhangelsk Regional Hospital at 16.35 on August 8. Due to the lack of information,

people were first examined in the emergency room. Later, it was necessary to deactivate the entire receiving ward, as cesium-137 was taken to the hospital along with these victims

(a radioactive isotope, which is a by-product of nuclear decay of uranium-235), its dose was 22 thousand microparticles per square [centimeter]. See, but it was revealed only an hour after the arrival

of the victims."

Also:

"During this time, they managed to be examined, visited on computed tomography, were transferred to the operating unit, three operating rooms were involved, Subsequently, when the

dosimetrists arrived and it was revealed that they were carriers of beta radiation, they were transferred back to the emergency room. There, doctors, nurses and nurses already carried out

decontamination with soap solutions. For protection, they had only ordinary dressings, ”says the source of the Novaya Gazeta. According to him, the event was attended by 57 people, despite

the fact that the usual shift is 15–20 people, that is, most people either voluntarily or at the request of the leadership left to work overtime. “No one refused, even knowing that they were

radioactive victims,” he says, noting that some colleagues complained of tingling in the face and hands."

·
I'm your huckleberry...
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Russian officials blame cesium exposure on 'Fukushima crabs'

1 - 14 of 14 Posts