Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know theres a few of you out there that have done this. If you guys are just gonna come in here and bash at the fact that I'm putting Cobra rims on a Supra, then please kindly refrain from doing so and click on the "back" button on your browser to leave.

Basically, I'm looking at getting a set of these cheap for my Supra, as I am in dire need of new tires and I'm looking to upgrade from the stock 16" wheels (looking to do a TT brake swap in the future). Now don't get me wrong, I love the way the stock 17's look, but I figured I might as well view other options and well, the stock chrome Cobra rims from the 99-04 Cobras seem to look nice.

I found two sets online and am trying to decide which set to go for. Here is the info to one of them..

(quoted from the advertisement)
I have a set of 18" chrome AFS 03/04 Cobra Wheels with tires. (Offset: 26mm front, 27mm rear)
- 18x9" front, 18x10.5" rear.
- Come with "Cobra" center caps.
- Nitto NT555 285-40-ZR18 rear with 50% tread.
- Pirelli P-Zero 265-35-ZR18 front with 85-90% tread.

The other set is 18x9 all around. They look like a slightly older version, but I'm not too familiar with Mustang parts..

I know the offset is a little aggressive on the first set, but I recalled another member stating that he had absolutely no problem fitting them onto his TT Supra. I also recalled him using them for a quite a while too.

and before you guys ask, YES I will get rid of the center caps :rockon:

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,247 Posts
I have 18x10.5 +38's on the rear of my Supra, and I had to trim the fenders to clear 295/30's

I suspect with an 18x10.5 +27 and a 285/40/18, that you will definitely need to trim/pull the rear fenders to make it fit.

18x9 +26 up front is pushing it too, my fronts are 18x9.5 +45 and fit perfectly with a 265/35/18, if you're a half inch narrower and 19mm further out, it's going to poke outside of the fender by ~15mm or so.

18x9 all around is just too narrow. 18x9.5 or 18x10 all around in suitable offsets would work though, a lot of road-race oriented Supras have gone un-staggered to enhance front grip, but it's gotta be WIDE.

I'd look for something else besides Mustang wheels. The offsets are wrong, they're heavy as shit, they're not hubcentric, and everyone will know they are Mustang wheels... and give you a hard time about it, as you already know.

If you want a good deal on wheels, just keep an eye on the FS section here, or vrwheels.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
I consider those a bad fitment. If they were "special" it might be worth bending over backwards with rolling/cutting/pulling fenders and running extreme camber and narrower tires to make them work but I wouldn't do it for those wheels. If you don't do all that you'd have to jack up your car so high to clear the tires that you'll look like a 4x4.

·
Is it turbo? Is it stick?
4,560 Posts
for reference, those have a 10mm wider tire on the rear and sit outboard 3mm more than my wheels... probably about 7-8mm less outer clearance overall. you will have to roll your rear fenders flat or shave them flush to clear.

those fronts have a 20mm! wider tire on them than mine and have a 5mm lower offset... an effective 15mm move outboard for that much less outer clearance.

basically you COULD do it, but it will be very tight and i agree, probably not worth the effort unless its really a special wheel setup and you are looking to get into an aggressive fitment specifically.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm probably gonna keep my eyes peeled for a set of stock TT chromies locally. I'd aim for a much better quality, lighter wheel, but that is not what is in the budget atm. I'll get my hands on some volk GT-U's eventually..

·
Blood for Blood
8,324 Posts
They do not fit your Supra at all... Its a good idea to find something else... also this is the wrong section for this thread if you PM a mod and have it moved to the correct section I believe you will get better feedback.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
While I have NO problem with anyone running a mustang wheel(or whatver) on a supra, the two you posted scream mustang only and look like shit, period.

A set of chrome steeda ultralite 2's would be banging however

·
Texas Roadhouse FTW !
827 Posts
used to have them on my car. 17X9 up front and 17x10.5 in the back with bfg 315's.... heres a old pic of my car with the afs cobra wheels

another

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
17's off a sn95 cobra 28'' tall 295 m/t's i had to roll the fenders a ton but they fit :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts