Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
RRev Motorsports
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I took out the Big Stick ( Blue widebody Supra ) last night to see what it could do. It has never been ran at the track. We had it tuned to a conservative 580 rwhp to make sure we wouldnt break it, HAHA... Anyways, the first pass ever in the car it ran an [email protected], not bad for a show car. I got the warning from the track officials to slow it down. So I go to take my next pass and the damn diff lets go in the burnout box.. It broke so bad the car wouldn't even move, we had to use a jack to wheel it off the track.. Anyways, I can't believe I broke another rear end. The whole housing is hard to find and expensive, if anyone has one let me know ASAP. My suggestion to all who may race there 6 speed cars is to get a TRD diff in the rear end BEFORE ever taking it to the track. The stock differentail SUCKS, and when it goes out it will take the whole rear end with it. A new complete pumpkin from the dealership is around $2000, and used ones are almost impossible to find.

On another note, when we do get another rear end and put a TRD in it, we will give the Big Stick some more power and see if we can get that thing into the low 10's :ugh2: Jim and Jojo better look out :) :)

·
GT-R DUN, Son.
3,491 Posts
Tim, did the housing get messed up too?

·
Eye Kandy For Enthusiasts
1,091 Posts
Latteboost said:
So, I took out the Big Stick ( Blue widebody Supra ) last night to see what it could do. It has never been ran at the track. We had it tuned to a conservative 580 rwhp to make sure we wouldnt break it, HAHA... Anyways, the first pass ever in the car it ran an [email protected], not bad for a show car. I got the warning from the track officials to slow it down. So I go to take my next pass and the damn diff lets go in the burnout box.. It broke so bad the car wouldn't even move, we had to use a jack to wheel it off the track.. Anyways, I can't believe I broke another rear end. The whole housing is hard to find and expensive, if anyone has one let me know ASAP. My suggestion to all who may race there 6 speed cars is to get a TRD diff in the rear end BEFORE ever taking it to the track. The stock differentail SUCKS, and when it goes out it will take the whole rear end with it. A new complete pumpkin from the dealership is around $2000, and used ones are almost impossible to find.

On another note, when we do get another rear end and put a TRD in it, we will give the Big Stick some more power and see if we can get that thing into the low 10's :ugh2: Jim and Jojo better look out :) :)

Sorry to hear about that Tim, I guess we wont be seeing you at the track anytime soon. How is the red beast coming up.

Alvin

·
GT-R DUN, Son.
3,491 Posts
Latteboost said:
Yea, it broke pretty bad. It cost so much for another. Man I love driving the 6-speeds, but they don't like me very much :)
DAMN, you did toast it! TRD is the way to go! Was that my poor ex-diff we swapped a while ago? I still have your old one. I ended up finding an old housing from Nix99. Might call them. It was totally junk though, and had to revamp the whole thing, but it houses my TRD diff with Titan solid ear mounts now. Anyhow so the old "Big Stick" diff is sitting here in the shop with a good "Stock" diff in it (and scared of you!!!) :bigthumb:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Latteboost said:

You just prove that she's not "all show". I will call your Dad right now & tell him what happened...he-he..j/k.

Jojo

·
Super Moderator
10,736 Posts
Tim,

Is this the same diff that was in the car when your dad broke the driveshaft in Vegas? If so, that was the beginning of the end for that diff, as the wheel hop that night was pretty bad, which might be why everything went the way it did.

Ken.

·
RRev Motorsports
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im sure the diff was on its way out. It used to wheel hop REAL bad, but we changed the tires and it ran a lot better. I tryed to baby it out there, but it just let go. Anyways, whatever diff we get next will have a TRD installed right away.

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
KenHenderson said:
Tim,

Is this the same diff that was in the car when your dad broke the driveshaft in Vegas? If so, that was the beginning of the end for that diff, as the wheel hop that night was pretty bad, which might be why everything went the way it did.

Ken.
Hey Ken,

If you trust your drivetrain parts, you might have to toss the keys to Tim in Vegas and see what your beautiful show winnning Supra will run! :bigthumb: We were pretty shocked at the low 11 right out of the box, on a quick tune we did with the VPro on moderate boost. Don't tell Bill, but maybe we will see the 'Big Stick' lay down a respectable 10 sec pass in Vegas?? :bigok:

Johh

·
Super Moderator
10,736 Posts
That's too funny, John, lol. I'd trust Tim with most anythng, but launching my 6MT at the track is not one of them. I don't have a trailer to tow her back home after the 6MT cookie monster scatters the rear end all across north Las Vegas....ha ha.

Sounds like Bill's V-Pro tuning is coming along. Maybe you should get in the driver's seat in Vegas to get that 10. Just razzing you hard, Tim. Keep up the good work and hope to see you guys real soon.

Ken.

·
1st Lieutenant Team BEYAW
1,913 Posts
geez Tim, leave the driving to John! ;)

hopefully you can get that thing back up and going so you can get it kicked out of PIR ;)

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
Sorry to hear it, Tim. I figured wheel hop based on what I've read over the years, but it sounds like you had that conquered. Guess it was just time for that sucker to take dirt nap. :(

Good luck with the repairs. :)
-Chris

P.S. Please tell your brother there's a track day up here July 3 -- he should come out. :)

·
RRev Motorsports
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jojo - Dad already knows.. He wasn't to upset. I guess it is just the cost of racing sometimes. I was trying to get points for the Heads up NW race and that was the only car that was running and would be somewhat competitive. We should have put a TRD in before racing. Oh well. When is your car going to the track???

Ken - It is not the same diff from Vegas, but the car did have some wheel hop issues before. We figured it was on its way out. Like John said, let me know if you want me to run your car, I will either run a pretty fast time, or find the weakpoint in your drivetrain. :)

Chris - They tryed to kick me out after the 11.2 pass, but let me keep running if I turned the boost down. I would let John drive, but he doesn't know how to drive in a straight line, now put some curves in there and he would do awesome. :)

quik - I will let Brian know, he needs to race that thing more. He gets a little scared about breaking parts, I wonder why??

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,715 Posts
Great, you hear that? Now we have to worry about losing a rear end in the water box!!! I think the rotating assembly of the helical gears is crap. I'm on my second after breaking a pin and having the gears collide with one another while in tow at 70 mph. That was the best 8 hours of my life as we were stuck on the side of the freeway until we split the axles inorder to get the car to move again. Burned right thru the tire too at that speed.

·
GT-R DUN, Son.
3,491 Posts
Latteboost said:
quik - I will let Brian know, he needs to race that thing more. He gets a little scared about breaking parts, I wonder why??
Must be in the genetics :bigthumb:

·
Acting my age
3,968 Posts
Tim I just went out to the shop and pulled out your old diff from Vegas to see if at least the housing was still good.. NOPE you put holes in that one too!!! :ugh2:

·
GT-R DUN, Son.
3,491 Posts
tim time to change your avatar title to "Diff Ownerz" or something to that effect lol

1 - 20 of 41 Posts