Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes, the 7m is clearly more reliable and there's no argument the 1J was built to be turbocharged. My question is: should i keep putting cash to try and get the 7M running right, or should i just go 1JZ. At this rate, who knows how much money it will take to get the 7M up. And yes I know the JZ costs money and a lot of expert skills. I'm not really asking what engine is better, i'm asking which would yield the best results ("in the long run")

·
Sawblades Rock!!!
194 Posts
Supra_Dre said:
yes, the 7m is clearly more reliable and there's no argument the 1J was built to be turbocharged. My question is: should i keep putting cash to try and get the 7M running right, or should i just go 1JZ. At this rate, who knows how much money it will take to get the 7M up. And yes I know the JZ costs money and a lot of expert skills. I'm not really asking what engine is better, i'm asking which would yield the best results ("in the long run")
Dude, it all depends on what you need to do to get your 7m running again, and wether or not you wanna chance rod knock. If you just need to rebuild the bottom end, then I say get that done by a machine shop that gives a warranty on their work. But if you need to get a whole new gasket kit/hose kit/valvejob/rebuilt block, then I say just go 1jz, because it will cost you pretty close to the same price to have a clip sent to your door.

·
Boostin
1,280 Posts
Buy the 1JZ and sell the 7M + 7M related parts for $$$. That should give you like atleast $600 back in your pocket.

·
Project:: Reaper
1,401 Posts
i would stick 7M. if i leave the 7M its going to be for a 2JZ ONLY. My buddy has a 1JZ and neither one of us are impressed. he's thinking about going 2J now in the future.

·
Registered
4,774 Posts

·
Powderin my balls since07
2,175 Posts
u know i've seen everyone's opinions on this topic at least 5 times in tha last coupla months...
i say go 7m...

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
keep the car for what it is man, u want to build a MKIII then BUILD the MKIII, as in keep it original and build the 7 m, u make great power with those things, people just underestimate them!

·
On the edge of adhesion..
942 Posts
It can't possibly take the same amount of money to get the 7M "running right" as it will cost to go 1JZ. I say stay with the 7M and build it correctly and you will have a great time with the car...most of all, do what YOU want to do with YOUR car...good luck. 30,000+ miles on a built motor, daily driven, A/C blowing ice cold and still boosting strong...

Khris

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok let the thread die before it turns 1J v 7M. I'm just sick of hearing BHG and rod knock regarding 7M. I dont think there are 1JZ horror stories of "bhg after mhg" stuff like that. Yes, I love the 7M too. Newer/better technology/quality attracts me.

·
always watching
362 Posts
PbXAssassinX1524 said:
It's not the motors that do the kind of stuff you hear about all the time, its their idiotic, cheap, neglecting owners.
+1
"hey can I put a boost controller on a stock 7m and run 16psi?"

idiots :blast: I

·
Registered
861 Posts
:repost: :repost: :lock: :lock:+1 for the decide yourself...they're both good options...:loser:

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,376 Posts
If I were a mod, these threads would be grounds for temp ban.

Do your own freakin research and decide for yourself. These threads are just an opportunity to let people run their mouths and spread their own gospel and/or misinformation. No one wants to hear this shit anymore. Seriously.

:soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox:

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
Prefrence. Personally I loved my 7MGTE and had very few problems with it, but reading about the 1JZ, it sounds like its more of what I wan't in the end. I wan't a motor that rev's high, and can make huge amounts of power, and when I'm ready, I can get a 2JZ block for it. I agree both are good options, I'd so some re-search to see what you want, instead of asking.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,376 Posts
mustangman05 said:
7m=tourqe monster

1jz=rev monster

Your profile says your car is an 86. What the hell do you know about torque? My farts create more torque than an NA.

Do you have any experience with both engines to make such simple generic statements?

disclaimer: I just woke up and I'm really cranky...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts