Supra Forums banner

another "fix 7m or go 1jz" thread

1K views 45 replies 33 participants last post by  SUPRASTANGER507mgte 
#1 ·
yes, the 7m is clearly more reliable and there's no argument the 1J was built to be turbocharged. My question is: should i keep putting cash to try and get the 7M running right, or should i just go 1JZ. At this rate, who knows how much money it will take to get the 7M up. And yes I know the JZ costs money and a lot of expert skills. I'm not really asking what engine is better, i'm asking which would yield the best results ("in the long run")

#2 ·
Supra_Dre said:
yes, the 7m is clearly more reliable and there's no argument the 1J was built to be turbocharged. My question is: should i keep putting cash to try and get the 7M running right, or should i just go 1JZ. At this rate, who knows how much money it will take to get the 7M up. And yes I know the JZ costs money and a lot of expert skills. I'm not really asking what engine is better, i'm asking which would yield the best results ("in the long run")
Dude, it all depends on what you need to do to get your 7m running again, and wether or not you wanna chance rod knock. If you just need to rebuild the bottom end, then I say get that done by a machine shop that gives a warranty on their work. But if you need to get a whole new gasket kit/hose kit/valvejob/rebuilt block, then I say just go 1jz, because it will cost you pretty close to the same price to have a clip sent to your door.

#8 ·
keep the car for what it is man, u want to build a MKIII then BUILD the MKIII, as in keep it original and build the 7 m, u make great power with those things, people just underestimate them!

#10 ·
It can't possibly take the same amount of money to get the 7M "running right" as it will cost to go 1JZ. I say stay with the 7M and build it correctly and you will have a great time with the car...most of all, do what YOU want to do with YOUR car...good luck. 30,000+ miles on a built motor, daily driven, A/C blowing ice cold and still boosting strong...

Khris

#13 ·
ok let the thread die before it turns 1J v 7M. I'm just sick of hearing BHG and rod knock regarding 7M. I dont think there are 1JZ horror stories of "bhg after mhg" stuff like that. Yes, I love the 7M too. Newer/better technology/quality attracts me.

#17 ·
:repost: :repost: :lock: :lock:+1 for the decide yourself...they're both good options...:loser:

#18 ·
If I were a mod, these threads would be grounds for temp ban.

Do your own freakin research and decide for yourself. These threads are just an opportunity to let people run their mouths and spread their own gospel and/or misinformation. No one wants to hear this shit anymore. Seriously.

:soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox:

#19 ·
Prefrence. Personally I loved my 7MGTE and had very few problems with it, but reading about the 1JZ, it sounds like its more of what I wan't in the end. I wan't a motor that rev's high, and can make huge amounts of power, and when I'm ready, I can get a 2JZ block for it. I agree both are good options, I'd so some re-search to see what you want, instead of asking.

#20 · (Edited)
mustangman05 said:
7m=tourqe monster

1jz=rev monster

Your profile says your car is an 86. What the hell do you know about torque? My farts create more torque than an NA.

Do you have any experience with both engines to make such simple generic statements?

disclaimer: I just woke up and I'm really cranky...

#21 · (Edited)
Supra_Dre said:
What were you thinking when you made this thread?

Nothing good can come of it.

I swear, nothing causes more useless arguements and flamefests between good members in this section than any of these engine threads. Supraforums is one of the only places I know where there's elitism against it's own owners.

Leave the topic alone! Don't spark the fire so people can continue to be peaceful and keep their opinions to themselves!

:soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox:

diclaimer: Still very cranky :rant::rant::rant:

#22 · (Edited)
OneJoeZee said:
Your profile says your car is an 86. What the hell do you know about torque? My farts create more torque than an NA.

Do you have any experience with both engines to make such simple generic statements?

disclaimer: I just woke up and I'm really cranky...
He could be NA-T, and also, I know these things by using that lovely search button, maybe he uses the button too? Sorry I understand you are cranky. :D Personally I'm going to stay 7M and just put a 1JZ in something else. I just woke up too... where's my coffee...

Supra_Dre said:
Sounds to me like you've already made up your mind, you're just looking for some people to support you. 7M is leagal, and I'm in California, that's one reason why I'm keeping it. I guess I'm one of those guys who says 7M! on the issue. Good luck with whatever you choose. Supras kick ass no matter what you put in them. :bigthumb:

#23 ·
To put some rational thinking to this thread, I agree it is a matter of personal preference. We took the NA Supra 7M and converted it to a 1JZ. It does take some work. The car was mine, but I bought a 300zx and gave it to my son.

Positive's and Negatives of both - 7M is a decent motor. Built right with a metal HG, you can make some awesome power. The parts are more common and cheaper than most of the parts for a 1JZ. Plus it is easier to increase HP with larger turbo's than the 1JZ. The motor does not take well to drifting. I know several people ended up with rod knock from drifting with this motor, the oil pan is not designed for lateral movement back and forth. It tends to starve for oil. Other than that, there is plenty of reason to stay with a 7MGTE.

1JZ - a very nice motor. Metal Gaskets and forged internals can easily handle over 700 HP. With stock turbo's, intake and 3" exhaust it can easily make around 320HP (with boost set to 1 bar) The bad: The turbo's have ceramic impellars on the exhaust side. The limit is 1 bar (14.7PSI). They tend to come apart after that. Also, conversion to anything else (except a very rare HKS bolt on setup) is costly and time consuming. The conversion is difficult, but not too difficult. Plenty have done it and documentation is all over the internet. A typical conversion will cost between $3k and $6K (if you do the work). There are people on this board that will do the wiring for you (harness extension, body connectors). But do the research first.

So, you decide. If you have the skills or are willing to pay and live with the limitations of around 280-320 HP (or pay again to increase HP), then go for a 1JZ. If we had a 7MGTE to begin with, we probably would have simply pulled it apart and built it right. The 1JZ is a nice conversion, is worth the work, but it can get expensive.

Marty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.