Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 87 7mgte on stock boost with fmic and fart pipe
previous owner told me it had MHG and ARP headstuds(i can not confirm this)

today i stopped at a gas station drove (20 miles) on my way to work and shut my car off
filled her up with some fuel and went inside to get a pop
on my way out i noticed water dripping from under my car
inspected and found my coolant overflow resevior was dripping the water from the run off tube
drove another 20 miles to work
shut it off and pulled my overflow cap out
air was coming out and spitting a little water out as well
my 90 alltrac did the same thing
found out my headgasket was bad

anybody think the headgasket could be bad?

·
Registered
506 Posts
did you check for coolant leaks, and did you check the coolant level. Mines did that what you are describing about 15k miles after my HG was done and turned out I had a small leak and the coolant was low.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have a cx racing aluminum radiator that i picked up for 30 bucks used
installed it and noticed there was a very very tiny leak in 1 of the coolant passages near the top
everytime i drive to work which is 40 miles 1 way i always have to fill my resevior back up before i drive home
normally i can drive to work...work my 8 hr shift...start the car up to let it warm up...low coolant light will be on...top it off and drive home
then fill the resevior back up and drive to work...everytime i fill the resevior up i check my radiator coolant level and its always full
today was the hottest day for ohio so far this year
when i checked my overflow bottle the coolant was full
there are no other coolant leaks besides the very small 1 on the radiator which i doubt would drain the overflow after 3 months of driving

also i have been using just water and the exhaust has been starting to smell a little bit funny...but there is no smoke coming from exhaust
im going to install some actual antifreeze this weekend and see if my exhaust begins to puff white

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
fix your goddamn coolant leak, and then attempt to troubleshoot.

If you have a leak in the cooling system, the following will happen:

Car warms up, pushes in coolant through the leak and into the overflow. Car cools down, pulls in air through the leak. This will continue until you are full of air in the cooling system. Air is not coolant. Your engine will overheat, potentially blowing the head gasket.

Why would you keep a radiator that leaks...Is it a great deal if it costs you an engine? Is having a piece of shiny aluminum really worth it?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im not an idiot and i know what will happen
the leak in the radiator is to small to cause this to happen over the period of time that i have drivin it
the radiator is getting repaired this weekend
no the temp gauge never spikes
its always a little under the halfway mark

·
Registered
115 Posts
im not an idiot and i know what will happen
the leak in the radiator is to small to cause this to happen over the period of time that i have drivin it
the radiator is getting repaired this weekend
no the temp gauge never spikes
its always a little under the halfway mark
7MGTE run hot as you know already.
A small hole in a rad can cause air to get into the system. As coolant escapes,air enter the systems. Air can cause air lock in the system
Coolant temp sensors read hot liquids not air. Therefore, your temp gauge may be giving false reading at times and may never show a spike.

The rad needs to replace or repaired and the bleed the system.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol yes they do run pretty hot
i will be taking it to a family friend who owns a radiator shop to have it repaired(hopefully lol)
i kind of just want to replace the headgasket anyways because my #5 cylinder has a heli coil in it
and i have a fresh head laying around with a new valve job, seals, guids and retainers
also i just replaced the radiator cap as well
the rubber seal was starting to rot a little bit

has anybody bought the headgasket kit off the net?
i googled it and found some for 54.99 and up
comes with everything even the headgasket
seemed a little cheap to me...
heres the link i found
http://www.eportuning.com/86-92-Toy...ne-Gasket-Head-Set/Toyota/Supra-p5459757.html

·
Registered
115 Posts
7MGTE run hot as you know already

Please tell me why this engine runs hotter than other engines. Are you serious? I hope not.
The 7mgte running hot was not in comparison to any other engine. It was in reference to the BHG & cooling system issues as per OP title. I don't see where I was comparing to another engine. You are seeing words that are not typed.

Yes, I'm serious. Have you ever touch your turbo elbow after a 10 run? Was it cool? The engine & turbo generates a lot of heat.
I live in Canada and have seen winter -30 degree Celsius. My supra has warmed up faster than any other car I've owned or driven. Believe me, I've driven many vehicles. Automotive industry for years.
Yes I've had to drive my car in the winter. The under body is still solid.
Also the following can make a supra run hot
- Improper bleeding (cycling) the cooling system can leave air pockets that can cause overheating issues.
- Imperfection in the cooling system, wrong t/stat or head gasket
- Improper head gasket replacement (head job)
- improper timing/tuning,

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
new radiator on order
my family friend said it wasnt repairable
i ordered a godspeed aluminum radiator
should be here in a week or so and hopefully it fixes the problem
if not i wont mind tearing my head off and do some much needed cleaning
compression checks will be done this weekend

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you get it up and running and aren't to far from mansfield, come and let me check it out. The way you can check and see if you have arp's is by taking the valve covers off and take a 13mm 12 point socket on it. If it goes, not hitting the cam shaft then its arp studs. If its a 12mm 12 point then its bolts, if i remember right. That and it'll say arp on the top of the nut.

Oh and that supra is said to have forged internals, don't know if you was told that or not.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok thanks
actually the owner of the car that the previous owner got it from said it was his old mk3 lol(if it doesnt make since then idk what to do lol)
well i asked him and he verified that it does have a mhg and arp head studs
i think there should be a little mini supra meet in columbus lol

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Awesome...what's your estimated time of finishing it?
I love removing the targa.
Nobody knows Wtf I'm driving lol
I'm free every weekend so we need to get a head count and date lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts