Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1 month temp tag. My Supra is only a BPU. I have straight pipes from the DP through so yea my check engine light is on and has been. I've been only running 100 octane, don't know if that matters.
How do I eliminate the light and code?
Will disconnecting the negative on the battery eliminate the code also (not just the light). I've disconnected the negative before and drove it for two days without the check engine light coming on so I don't know if that could possibly work. I need help on what I can do to try and make it pass with the straight pipes on. I know its most likely a long shot but I've never gone to emmissions with straight pipes and codes faulting.
What have you guys done with a BPU to get it to pass-plugs, additives (if safe), etc?
Many ppl have told me to register in another city (Payson, Sierra Vista, etc) with no required emmissions but I have no property in any of them. Help a brotha out.

Thanks,
Bill

·
JZA80
3,114 Posts

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
let me know if you need to borrow the stock downpipe.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still have my stock downpipe, thanks though. Will the code get eliminated after I throw it back on?

So change my address to another city and pick the mail up there?

·
Registered
51 Posts
and if that is just the screw in foulers for the o2 sensor thats a big rip-off considering you can make one for about 5$....thats unless this actually gets wired into the computer or something...(no picture of the product)

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
well if you are throwing a code bc there is no o2 sensor on the pipe, then with the o2 sensor back on the oem dp you should be ok. if you are throwing a code for another reason, then you are out of luck

·
WI-FI FTW, GTFO fuse box!
8,108 Posts
Jeeez. what code # is it throwing?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Honestly I was assuming its throwing a code because the check engine light. The sensors are still hooked up. Guess I'll just hook up my stock downpipe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hagerty Insurance

Then you never have to worry about emissions. And you are covered for appraised value-especially good if you have a lot of nice stuff on the car.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea I keep hearing things like they only give you 3000 miles a year? I drive my sweetheart everyday. I bought the car with 42k and now has 70k within a year.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Yea I keep hearing things like they only give you 3000 miles a year? I drive my sweetheart everyday. I bought the car with 42k and now has 70k within a year.
I just got Hagerty insurance on my 93 baltic blue single turbo here in Chandler.

It costs me about $650 per year, covers my car for $35,000 (which I value it at) and I dont have to smog it.

I went by and registered it today no problem.

There is no longer a mileage requirement, you do need to HAVE a daily driver to prove your Supra is a collectors vehicle. You cannot have the Supra for a daily driver, and you have to show proof of insurance for your secondary vehicle, AKA insurance declarations page. They are quite elaborate with the application process, so good luck if you decide to go this route.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I need a little more clarification if anyone can help.

Lets say I get a PO box in Prescott. Would I be able to use that PO address to register my car? So if I go to the MVD to pick up my tags would they not allow that address to be used because it's not a residential address?:dunno:

underpsi-How did you get yours done?

I almost forgot to ask. If I do register it in another city, would I have to drive out there for any reason?

·
Kickin'G ASs 24/7
1,636 Posts

Lets say I get a PO box in Prescott. Would I be able to use that PO address to register my car? So if I go to the MVD to pick up my tags would they not allow that address to be used because it's not a residential address?:dunno:

Im on the same boat guys, Hopefully i find the answer by tonigh, im heading tomorrow morning to Mahave county to try and register my car their, im coming from South Central Cali, i was pulled over for a loud exhaust, and car was impounded when i was forced to pop my hood open, for being "Highly Modified" total BS, so im trying to register it in Arizona and hope the Judge can dismiss my case, i called right now the MVD and they told me i neeed a residential adress, is their anyone out their that can please allow a Supra owner to use their adress, i guess it can be from Mohave county, and or any where else that does not requiere emissions checked. it will only be temporary, please..!!..PreTty Please..!!

-Pm Me if possible..!!

-Willing to buy you lunch...lol..!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts

I almost forgot to ask. If I do register it in another city, would I have to drive out there for any reason?

Bill, if you register your car in another county (Mohave, Pinal...), you have to provide proof of resident. Also, all your cars would than be registered in that county.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I threw on the stock cats and mine made it through fine. 94 bpu++

I wouldn't go the route of registering in another county, because if you do (heaven forbid) get in an accident and that's not your actual address supposedly your insurance co can drag you over the coals for fraud.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I just smogged my BPU Supra a couple months ago. It passed with flying colors with the stock cat. I'm sure you'll pass, as well. If you need to borrow my stock cat PM me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts