Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE: They offered me $33k for the car which I kindfully declined. I told her that I would never be able to find another Turbo Supra with 40k miles for $33k.

So the battle continues.

UPDATE 2
I faxed my insurance adjuster Supras like mine currently listed in the autotrader and they admitted that the car is worth a lot more than they originally thought. They are now going to have an independent car appraiser, appraise the car to determine the value of it. My adjuster then said that if I did not like how much they were offering after the appraisal I can have my OWN appraisal done by anyone of my choice. So it definitely sounds like positive news. But we will have to wait and see.

I am not really sure how to describe the situation of my accident. I have held off on posting about it because I have been really depressed about it.
It was Friday the 13th and I took off work to enjoy the beautiful weather and get some things done that I had put off for a while. I had been contacted by an old friend to meet up with some car guys that evening and catch up on life. So I decided detail my ride after giving her a bath. She was looking damn good. Little did I know this would be my last day with her. I filled her up with 111octane because I know how much she loves to add timing on race gas.

Well that evening I took her out around 11:30 to go meet up with my buddies. I pulled out of my neighborhood and went down an industrial road where there was no traffic at that time. I turned up the boost on my boost controller. I had to estimate how much duty cycle to increase it by, because I normally blend my 91 octane with 111 octane. Well as I went down the road I put it in 3rd gear because I knew first and second gear would have absolutely NO traction on my 19” tires. Cruising in 3rd gear at about 4k RPMs, I floored it. My 67mm single spooled so fast that rear of my car immediately decided to go sideways. I counter steered and began peddling the throttle to try and keep her straight. I brought it back around, and then she decided to start going sideways in the other direction. Now I knew it was going to get wild. I began trying to counter measure in every way I knew how. But the tail end whipped around and I spun 180degrees and began sliding towards the concrete sidewalk. At this point I could do nothing except hold on. I literally thought to myself “NO WAY, THIS IS NOT HAPPENING.” Then BAM hit the sidewalk and went up a small dirt embankment. I was in shock. All of my blood, sweat, money , and hard work had just been taken from me in less than 15 seconds.
So now I am Supra-less and I have to fight my insurance company to get the most money out of them as possible. Luckily I was smart enough to have the car towed back to my house after the accident to put it back to stock. So I have an entire garage full of Supra parts.

I will be buying another Supra as soon as my insurance situation is taken care of. I stripped everything off the car and put it 100% back to stock. I even put the stock turbos back on.

She had only 42,000 miles on her when she passed away. I had forgotten that night that I had turned off my Racelogic traction control the day before. BIG mistake, that cost me.

The insurance company has already totaled it. So now I either have to sell all of my parts, or put them on my next Supra.

Anybody have any idea on how much the insurance company should give me for a 1995 Twin Turbo Supra, 6spd with only 42,000miles? Any tips on how to get the most money from my insurance company? (AAA Insurance)

LEGAL NOTICE: This contains no factual information and is completely made up. None of the above events occured.

BEFORE

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
That sucks man... but what exactly happened? From what I can surmise, the tail broke out even though it was perfect weather and you'd obviously been in such a situation before.

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
Learn how to drive....in a straight line first.

·
Banned
1,984 Posts
Good luck to getting everything settled.
It can happen to anyone.

·
Supraddict
1,152 Posts
That really sucks, every time I saw your sig on the forums I always thought "damn, thats one of the hottest white MKIVs around".

Sorry to hear about all this. Have you thought about bringing the car back to life? Insurance/title wise I'm sure it would be a pain, but I have seen some other MKIVs on here with much worse damage brought back to showroom condition.

·
What?!
2,107 Posts
Aww that sucks. Are you gonna be able to gut the car and get your usable parts off of it before the insurance company takes it?

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
R.I.P :( I always enjoyed looking at your sig, I'd think to myself "Wow that's one nice white Sup!"

Glad you're ok though, you'll be back

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
You have my condolences.

·
DFA Motorsports
1,891 Posts
Doesnt look like it should have been tottaled. It could be due to the fact of your rear tires needing to be replaced (as it looks in the pictures). If you dont drive the supra that much id suggest getting a differewnt insurance with a declared value. You will be lucky to get 20-25K for it.

·
MSB for Life! :D
1,004 Posts
Aww that sucks. Are you gonna be able to gut the car and get your usable parts off of it before the insurance company takes it?
He said he already returned it to stock.

·
Administrator
17,255 Posts
Oh man, that nearly brings tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry for your loss, and sincerely hope you're able to get good value from your insurance company for her. Be sure to reject the first offer on principle, as I'm sure it's going to be WAY below market value. Remind them of the extremely rare nature of the car and be prepared to spend considerable time showing that to replace it with a similar mileage Supra would cost a hell of a lot more than they are going to offer you.

R.I.P. Supra, but I'm really glad that you were able to walk away from the accident unharmed. :(

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doesnt look like it should have been tottaled. It could be due to the fact of your rear tires needing to be replaced (as it looks in the pictures). If you dont drive the supra that much id suggest getting a differewnt insurance with a declared value. You will be lucky to get 20-25K for it.
There is a lot of damage that you can not see in the pictures. The frame is tweaked. The targa was not sitting straight. Everything from the firewall forward was bent or crinked in some way. The car could definitely be repaired. However I did not want a car back that had frame damage. I really hope I get more than $25k for it. I mean blue book is $29k. I would think I would get atleast that right?

R.I.P :( I always enjoyed looking at your sig, I'd think to myself "Wow that's one nice white Sup!"

Glad you're ok though, you'll be back
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'm glad I walked away from it too.

That really sucks, every time I saw your sig on the forums I always thought "damn, thats one of the hottest white MKIVs around".

Sorry to hear about all this. Have you thought about bringing the car back to life? Insurance/title wise I'm sure it would be a pain, but I have seen some other MKIVs on here with much worse damage brought back to showroom condition.
The car could be repaired. However, the frame got slightly tweaked and I dont want to drive anything that has been in an accident with frame damge.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh man, that nearly brings tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry for your loss, and sincerely hope you're able to get good value from your insurance company for her. Be sure to reject the first offer on principle, as I'm sure it's going to be WAY below market value. Remind them of the extremely rare nature of the car and be prepared to spend considerable time showing that to replace it with a similar mileage Supra would cost a hell of a lot more than they are going to offer you.

R.I.P. Supra, but I'm really glad that you were able to walk away from the accident unharmed. :(
Thanks for the supports Steve. I too, am really worried they are going to try and low ball me for what it is worth.

My insurance company (AAA Insurance), said they use an outside company called Autosource to deterimine the value of the car. Is anyone familure with this company or know anything about it?

·
HI2U
61 Posts
So sorry to hear. Its good you came out ok, this can always be replace. Good luck in your future plans.

·
Registered
171 Posts
sorry to hear about ur loss, glad that your ok tho. you can prolly fight for the price between 30-35k especially since you converted the car back to 100% stock and with the mileage you can do enough research to show how hard it is to find a duplicate and the price youd have to pay. then when you get paid buy the car back for the salvage price and fix that baby up better then before.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts