Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all... I've been registered on this site for a long time. A friend of mine has had two MKIV Supra's and I just love them. I'm on the site now checking out prices on some parts as I'm considering going with a 2JZ if I can find any information pertaining to the hood being able to close with the engine inside.

Other than that, I look forward to being a member.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
So you're planning on swapping out the rotor motor for a 2jz? Don't do it man.

·
Registered
285 Posts
So you're planning on swapping out the rotor motor for a 2jz? Don't do it man.
Why not those stock rotors are ticking time bombs. Your power levels are endless with a 2jz. I would do it in a heartbeat. Any pics of your car.
stwok,com does the swap I believe.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
I don't know if it will work I haven't ever heard of an fd with a supra motor.

·
89 all-white MKIII turbo
12 Posts
Yea but come on man. RX-7's are legendary for the rotary motor. Swap a 20B 3-rotor motor in it. Don't be dumb and drop a inline 6 in it. I love the 2JZ too but I've also owned 6 rx7's, all 3 generations, and there is no way I'd do it.

There's a website that makes a 3 rotor kit called Renegade or something like that for the FD. Just ask someone about it on nopistons.com or rx7club.com or something. It will make plenty of power.

Even then I've seen Outlaw class RX7's that were EXTREMELY fast on the 13b with upgraded apex seals a mean port job and some big ass turbos. There's a guy named Marcus (I think, been a while) in Houston, TX that has one.

·
89 all-white MKIII turbo
12 Posts
Oh and the LS1 has been swapped in. Stock they both run the same and it throws off the 50/50 weight ratio of the FD. It's a horrible swap too IMO.

·
heavy unheard of subaru
1 Posts
actually the stock rx7 runs alot slower than one swapped with a ls1. an ls1 swapped rx7 can easily run 12.8s stock. and no it DOESNT throw off the weight dristribution. The 13B alone weights less but with all the turbo plumbing they end up being very very similiar.

Id never perform the swap myself because i think the rotary makes the rx7. But from a purely performance perspective the ls1 is far superior.

·
I keep gettin' rick rolld
216 Posts
I personally think a 2JZ in an Rx-7 is sweet as hell and am hoping to get involved in a project like that sooner then later. Any more pictures of your avatar Mazda_Power?

Minnesota FTW! :love:

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
hi welcome, i saw a rx7 with a 2jz in person and it looked freaking insane, it fits perfectly and looks awesome.

·
1,070 Posts
The rotary makes the RX7; if you want a 2JZ motor buy a Supra. People underestimate the 13B. At least keep a rotary in there like the 20B.

·
Registered
997 Posts
i am doin a 2jz in a rx7 from 50 50 racing aka stwok bryan is doing it. i am doing the vvt-i motor but no one seems to know to much about them

·
Top Secret T78
1,203 Posts
For anyone who cares.... The Ls1 motor weighs 27 lbs more than the Rotary motor.... the owner whose doing the swap told me this and so to make up for his extra weight in the front he moved the battery to behind the seats. His name is kevin doe, he/his dad do amazing welding and fabrication work. He is located in Ohio and will build custom exhaust to your spec too. He is on V8rx7forums.com (think thats the address) I personally like the LS1 in the RX7 too over the 2jzgte, mainly because the 2jz is such a heavy engine. It would be more of a straight line car then w/ the 2jz and that takes all the fun out of having an RX7 to begin with!

·
Registered
41 Posts
ls1 will be sick but it'll cost a lot more...

supra is a nicer car but it all depends on wut u want...

i'm already searching for a JDM supra, God bless Canada and their 15 year old rule :)

·
Top Secret T78
1,203 Posts
ls1 will be sick but it'll cost a lot more...

supra is a nicer car but it all depends on wut u want...

i'm already searching for a JDM supra, God bless Canada and their 15 year old rule :)
Hinson makes a very good priced kit, I dont seeing it costing more than the supra swap. Supra swap into an RX7 would cost a lot more because theres no kit available out there.... the supra/6spd swap would be like 5500 to 8000 depending on mileage and whats included, the LS1 is like 3000 and comes w/ 6spd.... and what are you talking about the 15 yr old rule?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
i think a 2jz would be sweet in a FD ive seen a supra motor in a s2000...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts