Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, heard my first turbo death whine in person yesterday... which sucks cause i had just finished making my test pipe a half hour before that. Well, if anyone is interested on how long to4e 50-trim CT-26's last under hard driving... its about 9k miles.

Time to look into SP's lineup.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
my turbo is making a wierd noise since i put my ssqv bov on. i have it hooked up right and squeeks freakin loud and long but it kinda sounds like my turbo is like wierd.
got a sound clip?

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not at the moment but i'll try to get one within a day or so. I still would like someone else to confirm the sound but i'm 99% sure that it's the turbo based on the fact that i only hear it during boost. Checked shaft play and there isn't any axial but there is a decent amount of radial.. can't tell if it is out of spec but i'm pretty sure that it is.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Might want to check some other things out before considering it dead. My turbo was making a sound that sounded just like the turbo death whine but it turned out to be my wastegate not closing all the way, which in turn make a whining noise. Couple of washers fixed that problem :D. Also other members have had similar death whine noises resulting in bad exhaust gaskets. Definitly check out thing like that which could be causing a similar noise. But after all, it is an upgraded ct-26 so i'm not saying it cant be death whine considering a good amount of the upgraded ct's go out pretty quickly.

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the wastegate is already shimmed (have been running 10psi) and again i doubt that it would be a bad exhaust gasket because it only makes the sound under boost. I'm going to look into things further before scrapping it but i highly doubt i'm going to catch an easy break on this one.

T

·
0 Posts
my car made a high pitched sqealing noise when under boost, turned out to be a bad exaust manifold gasket

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i'll definately look more into that then. That'd be a huge relief.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Yeah check where the turbo bolts on to the exhaust manifold. Ive experienced death whine twice and i also had the bolts come loose where the turbo bolts onto the mani and it sounded the exact same as death whine just thought i would let u know.

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i checked those bolts and yeah, they were all pretty damn loose. However, even after tightening them back up it still whines :(

·
Stormcock approves
1,859 Posts
You got death whine at 9k from 10psi boost? I say you try and get some kind of compensation. That's just shoddy work.

·
My name's Scruffy.
1,566 Posts
that death wine always scares the crap outa me....remindes me of some horrible mutilated type nightmare/night terror lol

·
Stormcock approves
1,859 Posts
When I got whine on my stock CT, I couldn't make more than 2-3 psi. Of course mine conveniently occured half-way between home and college. 150 miles on a flatbed is expensive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts