Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it looks like I will once again own a MK II. Little high priced but well worth it. Pics will come once she is detailed. Its 84 P-type 270k on the clock, runs perfect. I just installed a tranny and clutch for the guy, a real close friend who wants me to buy it so it'll be taken care of. Anyway, welcome me back to the MK IIs, and well as the MK III's.

Once question though, which is the best exhaust to keep a low tourer style sound, but open the exhaust up just a hair? Dont like the pacesetter... Thinking headers to which ever exhaust offers the best note.

Jared

·
The anti-muppet
345 Posts
welcome back, dont forget to post pics

IMO any 2.5" exhaust system would do fine. You can try one of the three venders over at celicasupra.com they all have pretty good exhaust systems for sale now.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'll ditto Zank on that. I'm partial to Rabidchimp.com because I live a mile from him and don't pay shipping, but you aren't. Most of us MK II types are over there at celicasupra.com for the tech issues.

As for a 2.5" muffler, look at overstock.com - not kidding

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
1,757 Posts
Welcome back! Some of us on cs.com are planning a GA/SC meet for sometime in the fall. The more the merrier :)

As for the exhaust, I've always been one to disagree, I think 2.5" is too big.. you'll start to feel like the engine is losing low end take off. 2.25" is perfect IMO.

I run it, put down 144whp with just the exhaust (Pacesetter, 2.25" catless + dynomax muffler)

Karaki is making Tri-Mil copies here:
http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17558

But also most 7M headers work, may need a little grinding near the PS pump though as I recall for anything made for 7M to fit 5M

·
The anti-muppet
345 Posts
Tanya said:
As for the exhaust, I've always been one to disagree, I think 2.5" is too big.. you'll start to feel like the engine is losing low end take off. 2.25" is perfect IMO.
so says the girl with the stock internal 5M engine

*runs and hides :naughty:

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rabid Chimp is a good friend of mine, well, I dont know if we are good friends anymore, he and my sister are no longer dating.... He has my first MK II supra.

I was thinking more along the lines of a 2.25, with a good muffler that keeps the deep subdued tone, not a ricer fart can. Also want to do headers, then the RC intake. That will be all thats done to this, as its my daily, or will be my semi-daily.

I just needed to get another Supra while the MK III is undergoing its hopefuly 4 digit HP transfermation, I needed something tamer, but still fun.... There is something about these cars that I love.. oh yeah, its going so hard into a corner you pickup a tire in the back, I love it!

Jared

·
The anti-muppet
345 Posts
raven97990 said:
He has my first MK II supra.

Jared
ohh is it the Black 85? its the exact twin of my car.....except for the engine :sadance:

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
zank said:
ohh is it the Black 85? its the exact twin of my car.....except for the engine :sadance:

No, he already had that one, Its a blue 82 p-type. He may have sold it , but I dont believe so. I remember his black car, shortly after riding in it, I began buying parts to turbo mine..

Jared

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
1,757 Posts
raven97990 said:
I was thinking more along the lines of a 2.25, with a good muffler that keeps the deep subdued tone, not a ricer fart can. Also want to do headers, then the RC intake. That will be all thats done to this, as its my daily, or will be my semi-daily.

A deep subdued tone eh? You sure you're a mkII Supra fan? :)
I've never heard a 5MGE with a "deep tone" no matter what exhaust is fitted to it. Only mkIIs I've ever heard that were "deep" were 7MGTE powered with a nice fat exhaust

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tanya said:
A deep subdued tone eh? You sure you're a mkII Supra fan? :)
I've never heard a 5MGE with a "deep tone" no matter what exhaust is fitted to it. Only mkIIs I've ever heard that were "deep" were 7MGTE powered with a nice fat exhaust

THen you've never heard my old MK II... it was fitted with the Chimpness's original exhaust, and on the NA version was very deep, and subdued. At idle, it was scary sounding, almost echoing...

Oh, and Im not a MK II supra fan, I am a SUPRA fan. I love them all, well, all but Gen 1's.... :)

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
1,757 Posts
Nice, I'd like to have heard it. All the Supras I hear are relatively high pitched, not like Honda high pitched but hell even the Celicas (22REs) have a deeper tone than the 5MGE.

·
The anti-muppet
345 Posts
Tanya said:
Nice, I'd like to have heard it. All the Supras I hear are relatively high pitched, not like Honda high pitched but hell even the Celicas (22REs) have a deeper tone than the 5MGE.
You seriously need to hear a mkii with that Burllen (sp) or the RC exhaust both sound mean ass hell :bigthumb: Iv also heard a mkii with a flowmaster muffler on it, it sounded pretty deep if you ask me.

·
The anti-muppet
345 Posts
Tanya said:
Are those systems 2.5"?
yes all three were 2.5" exhaust systems :)

<---who thinks Tanya should go 5MGTE :bigthumb:

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
1,757 Posts
zank said:
yes all three were 2.5" exhaust systems :)

<---who thinks Tanya should go 5MGTE :bigthumb:

blah blah blah well duh a 2.5" will sound deeper, but like I previously stated, you'll lose some low end take off OOMPH. Make power in top end like crazy but whatever floats your boat. I like low end > high end, therefore I keep my 2.25".
But we can argue this all day, turbo boy. :1poke:

If you want a deeper tone and high end power, go for 2.5" I guess.

I remember going from stock exhaust to 2.25" and it feeling like I lost low end balls, can't imagine what it'd feel like going from stock to 2.5"

·
Registered
119 Posts
W a stock exhaust I simply used a generic turbo muffler 2.5", it sounds great and I've recieved positive remarks when people heard it.
B

1 - 18 of 18 Posts