Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought my 89 and soon after found out it had a BHG. so like a stooge i allowed toyota to fix it with the factory HG torqued to 65. i was later told by the service manager that they RE USED the head bolts!! i went nuts and threatened legal action. they acted like they couldnt care less. do i have a leg to stand on here?? what should i do? is it that important? everyone i tell seems outraged but toyota says its ok to re-use them.

i also have a SLOW coolant leak. they've tested it to all hell and say everything is normal. is it normal to lose a little coolant every now and then with an 89 turbo or is something def wrong? i smell coolant with the windows down while driving and under the hood after running it. any ideas? could this have to do with the HG?

·
Moderator, megalos ntabatzis!!
4,409 Posts
regardless of using them or not, if it leaks, and youre still under warrenty for work, they have to fix it...

Otherwise, no, you cannot threaten legal action... afterall they were only told to replace the hg.

Do a compression check and go from there, could be leaking out rad cap, overflow (bad t stat) hose etc etc

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no. it was termed an OVERHAUL. the HG was one part. why the hell would they do all that and not replace those?? it doesnt make sense. period. but i am at thier mercy. i keep bringing it to them and they keep saying there is no problem. but im losing coolant, VERY SLOWLY, but none the less, im losing coolant.

·
Classic Cars = Secks
490 Posts
Never, Never take you car to the dealership! I was going through the receipts from my cars previous owner; they charged him a arm in a leg for reletively inexpensive repairs. Every bolt on my engine was finger tight and some were missing on parts that had work done on them (they were either stolen or not replaced).

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they have done all of those tests. i bought a fluidyne rad. it kicks ass. i highly doubt its leaking from the cap. there are no signs of that.

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,080 Posts
Don't sweat the head bolts, they can be re-used. On your coolant leak, go buy/rent/borrow a radiator pressure pump and pressurize the system then see if you have any leaks anywhere. If you smell it under your hood, chances are you have a small leak.

If you think you have a headgasket issue, buy/rent/borrow a coolant tester that will test for hydrocarbons in the cooling system. This will give you the facts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts