Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Nice to see all the support that goes on on this forum for all things supra. I have recently purchased a very nicely kept MK3 with 1JZ engine already in it. The thing runs decent at only 10psi of boost its managing 14.1's to the 1/4 with only an open diff as the main means of getting the power to the ground. I have since swapped to a 4.30 LSD, BUT! it appears to be in need of a proper overhaul or the procedure outlined by joliroger4 in this thread: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=430339

So, hopefully i will be performing this update on it to get it to hook better with both tires, in the mean time im stuck putting it in revers for a few feet back and then launching which helps it grab better on both tires.

The car is getting a Haltech E11v2, i specialize in them so tuning will be a breaze and ive already had it running on it for a once around the block and its a pretty good system all around, plenty of features and outputs to control the engine in a full sequential and direct fire manner. There's even a Plug n Play for MK4 supra available from Haltech, and i can pretty much put one together for this one too.

The mod lists will consist of 60lb injectors for now, walbro pump, aeromotive regulator, top feed fuel rail, single turbo kit, and a larger front mount. Hopefully this will get the car among the fastest supras around here.

I will try to keep this thread going, so here's the car as it sits now with all stock stuff.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh! i forgot to mention, with the car stock as it is, only a 3" cat back, no cat and stock downpipe, using an opened diff, it managed 14.1 to the 1/4 at only 10psi.

Hopefully now with the LSD and some more power i will get it go faster.

Also, the go fast parts have already arrived, only thing im missing now is the FMIC, i am waiting on my supplier to get 3" piping.

Will try to upload pics of all the parts, as the build comes along.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here's my first batch of upgrade parts that will be going on the car hopefully real soon.

Next to come is the 3" intercooler piping kit and front mount intercooler.

·
Registered
38 Posts
wow

Where did you find that kit at? Price?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a Kit i have put together using parts from different suppliers. I guess that if there is a demand for it i will try to have it available through the supplier.

In case you were wondering that is a T3 flange on the manifold i a honestly not looking for more than 500hp right now, but if the need arises for a T4 i guess it can be done.

Also, the rail, injectors and Haltech are sourced from separate suppliers, but after im done, i guess they can be offered all together.

Thanks for asking!! I will probably have more parts to take pics soon :D.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I look forward to seeing visuals on your progress.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Nice.
Details on the turbo?
This turbo is a T3/T4 (yes, the manifold is T3) with what to mee seems like a .81 A/R on the turbine (i was told it was by who sold it to me) with a 62mm wheel, and a .70 A/R on the compressor with what i think is a 58mm (or 57??) wheel.

I got a very good deal from the supplier and i will be talking to him about doing a kit for this particular application, MK3 supra with 1JZ-GTE, so, after its all nice and done i will post pics of that.

So, hopefully soon we'll have something ready, and of course, im sure a T4 style turbo would not be a problem later on. But my power goals are really modest right now, no more than 500, the engine is bone stock jdm junker, and the car is my daily driver, so i dont want to brake it.

·
SP74HO
1,143 Posts
Welcome aboard Claudio. I have gotton advice from you over on the haltech forums when i was running the E6K on my 92.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Welcome aboard Claudio. I have gotton advice from you over on the haltech forums when i was running the E6K on my 92.
Hehe, cool! But as you probably know by now the E11v2 is not your grandaddy's Old E6K :D

Hopefully we'll get to take this to the limit and give some reputable results in favor of the Haltech ECUs for the Supra and toyota community, Haltech already has a PnP for the 2JZ MK4 available.

Have a look.

The black cable is the "External Sensors Cable", which is used to connect the 3bar MAP sensor, or what ever map sensor you want, instead of the factory one, which the Haltech comes set up for.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a minor update here guys, I have put in the Haltech and started doing base tuning of the car at the 100% stock level, i wanted to get a nice baseline for the development of my plug n play for the MK3 using the 1JZ.

Car runs pretty good, drives nice, no buckles or weird hickups. Currently i am using the Haltech E11v2 ECU and my own plug in harness. This allows me to use the complete stock wiring harness and all stock sensors. I will later switch the toyota MAP sensor to either a Haltech 3bar or a Greddy 4bar from the eManage which i have the calibration for. I dont think ill run that much boost initially, so i may just stick with the 3bar for the time being.

On a side note, and after consulting with a couple of people that know the tuning of the 1JZ, and having done some initial datalogging with my LM-1, the 1JZ does run very lean from the factory, idle and light load/cruising mixtures mostly run from 17-19 at idle, and around 14-15 for cruising. When you put your foot down the stock ECU goes to about 12.5's at 10psi.

My timing map was also on the conservative side and based on those stock ECU numbers, i need to lean it out a little more to make it feel like stock. Startup is ok, but i need to still revise it a little bit, as it sometimes it appears that its got too much corrections for initial priming fueling so its hard to start, so i still have to play with that too.

More updates to come later!

PS. All the go fast parts are here, intercooler, piping, hoses and clamps, so all we have to do is put the thing together. Its going to take me a little to get back to the swing of things, i am off to the SEMA Show, if you happen to be there, swing by the Haltech booth, you might catch me there.

Laterz...

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
Good to see you here. A 62mm turbo is alot of fun on the 1j, the .81 t3 housing sould be perfect. The Haltech is a great unit you get pretty much any option you could use (exept knock control) for much less than an AEM / Motec etc.. I just installed my E11v2 about a month ago, its also running great, just working on fine tuning the throttle pump settings.

Let me know if you need anything else Claudio....I just got another 1jz Haltech job in the shop, gonna run the E8 on this one. I wish I could make it to SEMA, maybe next year.

Randy

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey thanks Randy!

You should then try to make it to the PRI Show down in Orlando, should be a great brake from your lovely canadian winter weather! :D

Throttle pumps usually do take a little time, patience and trial and error, but when done right it works really good. Tell me something, what sort of initial startup corrections have you enabled? What sort of AFRs are you running during part idle, part throttle, cruising and WOT?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FINALLY!! After all this time contemplating, buying parts, etc etc., we're going to put this baby together. Hopefully i will be able to dyno it with the next 2 weeks. Not only that, i am now going to use one of the new Haltech Platinum Sport 2000 units, instead of the E11v2. Pinout is practically the same, so no need for rewiring, for all of you who might be considering upgrading your ECUs here's a couple of screenshots of the new ECU Manager software for the new Platinum Series of ECUs, as well as a pic of the parts going in the car this week!

Here are some pics of the new Platinum ECUs and ECU Manager, Haltech's new software package!

This is the Datalog Viewer:

Platinum Sport 2000 ECU:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Brief update, the intercooler is on.

Had to modify the provided downpipe, apparently its just a generic deal which didnt actually fit this manifold / turbo / vehicle application, but no worries, all is well, already done too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Minor UPDATE! SHE RUNS!!!

Its alive!! I was able to start the car last night, after all the bolt ons have been installed, now all thats left is to tune it on the dyno and the street for a perfect running and powerful car.

Here are some current engine bay shots, its going to get even prettier. :D

Later.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts