Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Guess who's back...
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my 89T up ad runing after the rebuild/upgrade bonanza!!! Fired right up, only the oil dumped right out! :mad: Come to find out one of the oil plugs was not in. That problem was solved after a while of frustration. Then it started right up!! It threw a random code 51, and would clear its self right after. :wtf: Finally got no codes to show and idling good, then the idle got really really low. As in about 450-500rpm. It ran great in motion, but between gears and slowing down it died almost every time. Only drove it enough to get it back to my house. It felt pretty good. Thermostat locked up so we removed it for the drive. i have a new one ready to go in. i will be back out looking at it again tomorrow.

Any advice on the idle problem and dieing between gears would be appreciated. Would it really run rich enough to choke it out like that??

·
Guess who's back...
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the afm is LEX afm. would the electronics be the same as the stock afm? if so I can swap electronics and see what happens. Everything was working before it got tore apart. So far just the idle and dieing between gears is what I've noticed. i will try swapping electronics tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
the afm is LEX afm. would the electronics be the same as the stock afm? if so I can swap electronics and see what happens. Everything was working before it got tore apart. So far just the idle and dieing between gears is what I've noticed. i will try swapping electronics tomorrow.
the electronics are the same but try swapping!

·
Guess who's back...
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will do. First thing in the morn I'll be out seeing what I can do. I still have a few parts I need to get installed as well. One being an AFPR and SAFCII. Those 2 should help with some of the rich running, but i will definitely try swapping tomorrow. It's already midnight and too dark to see anything.

Also I wanna thank Brandon (91SUPRA-B) for all the help with my MK3.

·
Registered
656 Posts
mine did that for a while when I rebuilt my motor, also happens whenever I reset the ECU, I just kept on driving it hard and some how the ECU "learned" where it wanted to be snd my motor has been purring like a kitty at 700rpm, also check your timing, that will definitly help out a bit, mine was ariginally a tooth off, but it took fucking forever cuz some how when ever we tried to adjust the cps Id always move it 2 teeth out bu accident

·
Guess who's back...
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mine did that for a while when I rebuilt my motor, also happens whenever I reset the ECU, I just kept on driving it hard and some how the ECU "learned" where it wanted to be snd my motor has been purring like a kitty at 700rpm, also check your timing, that will definitly help out a bit, mine was ariginally a tooth off, but it took fucking forever cuz some how when ever we tried to adjust the cps Id always move it 2 teeth out bu accident
Timing is set dead at 10* We got it to 12* by hand and brought it back to 10* I can't exactly drive it hard at the moment due to the rebuild. I still have to break it in before any spirited driving.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Also I wanna thank Brandon (91SUPRA-B) for all the help with my MK3.
Werd B. Yeah first we were stupid and fired it up for about 10 sec without the damn oil in it. Then it spit like 2 qts out the side.. that surprised the $#!+ outta me. Then idle problems.. water leak.. which was apparently cause by the thermostat not opening. I didnt think about AFM problems, figured it was plugged in so ok. I think maybe the TPS did get taken off and supposedly put back in same place but I'm not sure and never messed with one so not sure what to do. How do you manually adjust the idle?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Timing is set dead at 10* We got it to 12* by hand and brought it back to 10* I can't exactly drive it hard at the moment due to the rebuild. I still have to break it in before any spirited driving.
you dont need to drive it hard just unpluge your battery for about two hours then hook it up agin start it and hold it at 2000rpm's no more no less for about 7 mins then it should go back to normal.thats also happen to me after my rebuild/swap.

·
Guess who's back...
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I drove it today to get inspected and back down the road a little. Codes when i got back were, code 31 - AFM signal and code 51 - AC. I swapped electronics on the AFM and the code went away. Now all i ave is the AC code51. It still idles a little funny but it's about 50 rpm higher, and it is definitely rich as can be. you can smell fuel when you shut it off. I will try to adjust the TPS in a bit. right now I'm letting it cool down, and spending time with my daughter. I will have it figured out and running right before 2K9, no worries.

·
Guess who's back...
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes I did try the battery trick you told me. It's still idling a little low. It's up around 500-600rpm now. It's steady until it warms up then has a problem staying idling. I'll be checking the TPS today ad hopefully that will do the trick. Other than that it drives great!! Absolutely loves the boost. Setting the rings I hit 8 psi in 4th at about 3/4 throttle. Funny part is I still have stock exhaust on cause the 3" isn't in yet. IT runs great just won't idle to save it's life. I'm gonna try and get some pics today and link them. It doesn't look like anything special, but she's gonna purr once she's broken in and tuned.

·
Guess who's back...
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

·
Proud MKIII Owner
2,408 Posts
Make Sure To Check The Simple Things First Like Boost And/or Vaccuum Leaks, Since You Did Have Everything Torn Down. Thats Where I'd Start Since It Ran Fine Before And Everything Is In Adjustment Just The Same.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts