Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my top now rattles like crazy and seems like it's going to fly off every time I hit a bump. The right rear is loose and I can't tighten it anymore, I can actually move it up and down. It comes off and back on without any problems but when I tighten the bolt all the way, the top is still loose. Could it be something loose inside the top? Anyone that can help please do. TIA.

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
"my top now rattles like crazy and seems like it's going to fly off every time I hit a bump."

I hope the "top" ur refering to is the targa...

The most likely cause -- the screws are NOT tightened properly
You need to make sure you screw these in very straight.

Let us know.

Jay :cool:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think I have a similar problem(if not the exact same problem). For me it's one of the screws that holds the targa together that came loose. I know tihs because I can wiggle the screw housing around and there's a ctually a gap now between the targa so that I can see a loose screw. The only way to fix it I think is to take it apart and to tighten the screw inside. I'm probably gonna attempt to do this myself later when I can figure out how to take the freaggin targa apart...=( tried it last time but had no luck.. the diagram on mkiv.com didn't help much either.. guess I'm just stupid or something. =(

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jay, but trust me, they are tightened properly.
I was hoping maybe someone had my same problem and had fixed it one way or another and could share it with us. The thing is driving me nuts. I think I'm just going to try taking it apart this weekend. I though I had read somewhere before that the nut on the inside gets loose after time and all you have to do is tighten it. Hopefully it won't be too bad. Thanks for the help guys. Squintypanda, e-mail me and let me know how it goes. Good luck as I think you're going to need it from what I've read about taking the top apart.

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
SingledSupra,

"...trust me, they are tightened properly. "

One easy "test": remove the top and take a M8 screw (I was told...) and screw it directly into the nuts, one at a time; verify it goes in quite a distance. Also, examine carefully the threads on both the bolts and nuts.

Good luck,

Jay :cool:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ruup2it:

Thanks alot. I think I'm going to try this this weekend. Hopefully I won't break the plastic piece.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ruup2it:

Thanks alot for the advice, my targa is now fixed. Just like you said, I lifted the plastic flaps a bit, tightened both bolts with some needle nose pliers, and put it back on. Took me abour 25-30 minutes including removing and attaching the top again. Nice and tight and NO MORE RATTLE!!! Thanks again.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey, did the same thing as suggested instead of taking the targa apart. I just bended teh plastic part as far back as it would go(had a friend hold it there) and I went inside with a nose pliers and tightend both bolts slowly.. took like ten minutes or so... not too hard if you have a friend help you hold the plastic piece down while you screw it down.. anyways.. thanks alot for the tip and good luck with the others that have teh same problem.

D

·
0 Posts
If targa leaks . . . spend time to take weathering off and tighten the screws under the weathering, that is under the long stretch of weathering (screw are not visible untill weathering is off).

·
Banned
70 Posts
Singledsupra & Squintypanda:
I'm glad this fix worked for both of you.
This looks to be a common problem, the person on the previous thread didn't attempt it, but you guys got what I'm saying. Well done.

I was wondering if you only used needlenose pliers, you may not be able to tighten very tightly.
What I did after the screw is in, is to use a wrench like this one:

Using the O side and tighten so it won't come loose again anytime soon.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Targa Leak

Diliyo, did you have this problem? Where you able to fix it with tightening those screws (just wondering)? I'm going to give a shot I know that I have one of thows screws that is stripped. Thanks!!

D

·
0 Posts
Yeah I did and it took care of it but be extremely careful not to rip the metal piece out of the corner of the weathering. Weathering strips are like $50 a piece.

·
Registered
72 Posts
ruup2it: Hey, you're right.. my targa's rattling like hell again.. guess I didn't tighten it down enough, heh.. =( gonna tighten it down again and try to use the tool you were talking about.. thanks alot for your help man.. =)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ruup2it:
I managed to get a wrench in there and tighten it real good. I checked the other side as well, but they were so tight I couldn't even budge the bolts. Thanks again for your help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts