Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Token Black Fry
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really wish you could search off topic, cause that would save me a ton of trouble.

Anyway, I'm in the market for a new timepiece. I'm a customer rep for my engineering department, so like anyone in sales will tell ya, image plays a huge role. I'd like something that stands out with out being "blingy" or huge.

However my biggest issue is when working with customers, I often have to get on the shop floor and show them our products or run machines myself. This invites millions of opportunities to whack it against something or scratch it, so I don't want to spend a fortune for something I could break tomorrow.

Since I know there's more than a few collectors here, I was hoping someone could give me some advice for brands or models in the $200-$300 range that would fit my criteria.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Seiko. I wear a $450 dollar seiko and have for 6 years now. It looks nearly new and has been beaten its fair share. They're tough watches and awesome value for money. Mines a chronograph with a silver/gold band and a dark velvet blue face.

·
Token Black Fry
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For 2-300, you won't find anything that will earn you 'respect'. Look into Seiko. They make awesome watches for the money.
haha...not looking for respect...I'm not one of our prick sales guys with the played out rolex.:kekegay: Looking for something that just looks simple, clean and professional. Most of the tougher watches I've see are usually "sports type" watches that have a million numbers and dials and shit that looks crowded and like you're trying to over compensate for something.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Some of the cheaper Movado's should be in your price range. Simple and classy looking, and depending on the strap you can rock it for daily use and formal.

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
The toughest watches are those used for actual work etc and usually do not have those busy or blingy looks. Bell and Ross is a very good example of what I am talking about, but of course that is 10x more than you want to spend.

I would look at a Gshock in this price range if you want digital.
If you don't want a digital face then Seiko or Citizen should do just fine for overall durability.

·
Registered
9 Posts
if you aren't looking for the "respect" but still have a classy look to it....Kenneth Cole and Hugo Boss has some half decent ones that fit your budget range.

if you're looking for a higher end one, you can look at the Bvlgari, Cartier, Chopard, Breitling, Panerai

if you're looking for a bling....get a Vacheron Constantin

·
Custom User Title
974 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb and say your cellphone has a clock. So your desire to wear a "timepiece" is nothing more than a metrosexual desire to wear man jewelry.

So given your true desires to:

a) wear man jewelry
b) stand out without coming off as a complete douchebag
c) not spend a fortune
d) not ruin it operating equipment

I'd suggest a pocket watch. A nice antique would do the trick, giving you the plausible story of an heirloom with sentimental value (to lessen the douchebag factor).

·
...smell like cabbage
1,097 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb and say your cellphone has a clock. So your desire to wear a "timepiece" is nothing more than a metrosexual desire to wear man jewelry.

a) wear man jewelry
c) not spend a fortune

I'd suggest a pocket watch. A nice antique would do the trick, giving you the plausible story of an heirloom with sentimental value (to lessen the douchebag factor).
What an excellent contribution to the thread. You know contrary to what you may think, it's actually easier to not post than type all that.

·
MKIV intervention needed
2,973 Posts

a) wear man jewelry
c) not spend a fortune

lol
+1 from a douchebag bad ass watch wearer. so fu:bigok:

·
In for teh nudez.
286 Posts
I really wish you could search off topic, cause that would save me a ton of trouble.

Anyway, I'm in the market for a new timepiece. I'm a customer rep for my engineering department, so like anyone in sales will tell ya, image plays a huge role. I'd like something that stands out with out being "blingy" or huge.

However my biggest issue is when working with customers, I often have to get on the shop floor and show them our products or run machines myself. This invites millions of opportunities to whack it against something or scratch it, so I don't want to spend a fortune for something I could break tomorrow.

Since I know there's more than a few collectors here, I was hoping someone could give me some advice for brands or models in the $200-$300 range that would fit my criteria.
That's a new one, I've never heard of or me personally, have ever looked at some customer rep's watch or even cared to notice.

Good luck on your search though.

·
Wingless FTW
594 Posts
+1 on a Seiko. I've been wearing a Seiko Kinetic that I received as a gift on my 16th birthday. After wearing it daily for the last 10 years, it shows very little signs of wear & tear. I think it was right around $450 in the late 90's.

·
V-tec JUST KICKED IN!!!
715 Posts
+1 on a Seiko. I've been wearing a Seiko Kinetic that I received as a gift on my 16th birthday. After wearing it daily for the last 10 years, it shows very little signs of wear & tear. I think it was right around $450 in the late 90's.
I believe seiko Kinetics run for around $600 nowadays.

For $200-$300 You can't really buy anything that is going to wow anyone. You can often by fashion watches like Kenneth coles etc. but they are a dime a dozen.

If you want something original try Nixon watches.

Now if you spend a little bit more you can get a nice time piece from Debaufre.

http://store.debaufre.com/?gclid=CKm5ifTPrJkCFQu-GgodJybJKQ

I personally own their Airman watch and its made very nice. Quality is there despite their horrid looking website. The movements are all Swiss ETAs and they are all swiss made.

·
Stock Boost SUX
1,660 Posts
Id say either a Seiko, Citizen, or even a Bulova or Movado. They should all run in the $2-400 range, depending on style.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts