Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:rant: Well guys, I'm getting really really tired of shit breaking on my supra, I'm so close to just selling the damn thing. I lost my 3rd toyota auto trans, and this time it was a built one with a stall. I have a feeling the thing just ran too hot and thats what killed it. I do have a trans cooler mounted in the front, but I don't have a fan for it.... I figured that it would be fine, but I guess not.

So now I have no idea what to do, I definitely don't have enough cash to buy another built setup, so I'm kinda screwed. So the Supra will probably be out of commission for a long time :(

· tastie treats
2,925 Posts
:rant: Well guys, I'm getting really really tired of shit breaking on my supra, I'm so close to just selling the damn thing. I lost my 3rd toyota auto trans, and this time it was a built one with a stall. I have a feeling the thing just ran too hot and thats what killed it. I do have a trans cooler mounted in the front, but I don't have a fan for it.... I figured that it would be fine, but I guess not.

So now I have no idea what to do, I definitely don't have enough cash to buy another built setup, so I'm kinda screwed. So the Supra will probably be out of commission for a long time :(
Find a regular auto tt transmission if you're not running too much power and get a few more coolers. My auto when out and I picked up another for cheap. It cost me like $100.

· Registered
291 Posts
Sorry to steal your thread abit, but does it matter if you fit the tranny cooler with the fittings in the buttom or on the top of the cooler? I'm going to fit mine tomorrow and for most space I would prefer to fit it with the nipples down. Is this a problem?

· Banned
2,465 Posts
I'd have a built AT here - I can give you a deal if you consider that route...

If you're breaking built autos - a stock one won't last very long... so that might be more expensive in the long run (all the labor, etc!!!)

· Registered
6,358 Posts

Cooler with fan makes a lot of difference, should have bought one for it. Why do you think there's a fan (clutch fan) behind the radiator? Same idea there. Don't give up just get two coolers with fans and that's that.

· tastie treats
2,925 Posts
A built auto doesn't matter if there's too much heat. Heat is the number one killer of transmissions. One, how much power are you putting down? That's one factor that needs to be answered. If you're not doing any more than 450 whp then you don't need anything more than a regular auto transmission. The only thing that is killing you is heat in which case I'd invest in a couple more coolers. Like everyone is saying, the coolers will make or break you.

Why spend on another built when you don't need it? Save the money. I picked my transmission up for $100. By the way, Boost Logic is having a sale for a built transmission for $2,200.

· tastie treats
2,925 Posts
I dynoed around 450whp. You guys know anyone with a stock auto? Should I keep my 3200 stall? I know having a high stall generates a lot of heat...
check the forums for an auto tt. the guy most of us know sold his to me. the stall should be fine if you run more coolers. if you can, 2 more and you'll be good. at least get a fan though.

· Kickin'G ASs 24/7
1,847 Posts
Agree with everyone on here, you must have those damm Oil Coolers...!!
Its a Must, 2 or more..!!..and must have fans on them, for whenever your stuck in traffic, specially here in LA...!!
-Sorry to hear bro..!!

· Banned
2,113 Posts
yep!!

Dual Coolers is the way to go.

I had my auto tranny. Put 40k miles on it with about 450whp. I had a Pi 3600 Stall stock auto tranny.

My cooler setup was as follows.

Dual B&M Super Coolers. One was mounted right behind passenger side air vent right under the signal with a fan. The other was a smaller b&m cooler with not fan right behind my intercooler.

Like iggy said. I did 20- 1/4 miles passes. about 20 Highway pulls 2- 180mph pulls and drove non stop 1,500miles(24hours) once to get there and another to come back to cali. But before that I had done at least another 40 1/4 mile pases and 10+ Highway pulls of 140mph+ All on my stock aristo tranny.

The key was those coolers. BTW I have another a few more coolers 1 of them is the same one I was running which I sold to lazysan. I dont need it any longer as I went 6 speed but if your interested let me know.

· Registered
291 Posts
Which one of the 2 hoses that goes out of the radiator to the tranny is the return hose? Is it best to mount the coolers in between the return hose or the inlet hose?

· Blood for Blood
9,923 Posts
I dynoed around 450whp. You guys know anyone with a stock auto? Should I keep my 3200 stall? I know having a high stall generates a lot of heat...
Brian... WTF man? We talked about running 2 coolers and 7.5in spral fans at the F&F4 meet... Do you still need a autobox? I have an extra and I might have an extra stall for it too.. but I would keep the 3200... maybe restall it for a 3800... either way I would get the stall checked out before putting it back into a new trans just to be sure.. you have my cell call or PM me... sorry to hear this man.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.