Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys need your inputs.

My V160 was recently overhauled a few years ago and only has about 4,000 miles since then, 1st with a 600whp set-up then now basically in BPU++. Never really had any major problems with it. I run it with an RPS twin carbon clutch and TRD LSD with Royal Purple Synchromax for the V160 tranny and Royal Purple Max Gear for the TRD LSD.

Recently 2nd and 4th gear pop out form time to time, particularly when the engine / tranny is still cold. The gear shift lever also doesn't want to go all the way back when slotting into 2nd, 4th and 6th unlike how it is in 1st, 3rd and 5th where the upper / odd-numbered gears are operating normally, smoothly, quietly and no gear popping.

Reverse is ok but sometimes hard to locate so I just stick it into 1st, then 2nd, then afterwards is fine and normal.

Could it be an internal tranny problem or a gear shift lever problem?

I read through the posts using the search function and none of the symptoms stated fit my situation. My transmission is pretty quiet, no whine / noise at all. When I shove it into 2nd or 4th really hard it stays there, but when I just nudge it in (I try to be gentle with it since it is a pretty expensive piece of equipment) it pops out when I'm in gear, and sometimes when I lift from high-RPM to engine-brake it pops out as well.

I changed my front diff ear mounts to Titan units and installed Ikeya Formula subframe spacers and it significantly helped the gear popping situation. I also noticed before that when you jack up the car a particular way, the 2nd, 4th and 6th gears slot in better for a while but after a few days it goes back to before.

I emailed Curt already to inquire for parts but I don't wanna spend money I don't need to in case this might be a simpler problem.

There's never been a crunch, noise, vibration or whine form my transmission and my gear oil was recently changed 2 months ago. Transmsision action got smoother but the gear popping problem became a wee bit more annoying afterwards.

Any ideas on where to look at first before I pull down the tranny?

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Im just gunna say look at the lockin ball springs. Idk if thats the problem but it might be since yur tranny was rebuilt. If you look on top of your tranny and see little circled caps, thats them. Theres a seal and spring and ball under the cap in that order. If that isnt sealed right or if the spring is damaged it will keep the shifter from stayin in gear.

·
Luvs ( . ) ( . )s
2,089 Posts
Do you have stock shifter tripod bushings? Maybe it's complete worn and you get too much side to side movement in the tripod that holds the shifter?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Imo he should definately look at all the mounts that deal with his drivetrain, the OP stated that after changing the diff ear mounts and subframe spacers it significantly helped the popping out of gear situation. Maby some of the mounts are loose after the tranny was re installed

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
i remember some problem like this and it was something really simple.

i think yours cuold be related because that guy also had a problem with gears 2 4 (and 6?) or gears 1 3 5.
notice how they are are all on the same side.

i wish i could reember what his problem was.

maybe take the shifter apart and put it back together and see if anything looks weird.
probably worth investigating before you deem the v160 malfunctioned.

ill do a quick search and see if i can find the thread im thinking of

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I'm bracing for the worst but with my car, a lot of the major problems in the past have been pretty simple in the end, but not after I ordered tons and tons of parts from all over lol

Adam, if you can post the link to the same scenario that would help immensely. Already am considering getting the AP Engineering solid shifter bushings regardless of whether the tranny's internals are busted or not.

For me, the parts cost isn't a concern as much as getting someone to rebuild it properly, locally.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Bump this up as I an having a similar problem. Car goes into and drives in all gears fine, but will pop back out of 4th and 6th on transition from throttle to off throttle

·
Registered
421 Posts
For the record, problem fixed and it was nothing. The bottom of the shifter is bolted to a small metal piece that is then bolted to the rod that goes to the tranny. If you look at the base of the shifter you see these 2 bolts very close together. It appears that the bolt on the shifter was the incorrect bolt and was tightened too much, not allowing the metal piece to pivot like it should, instead it was being forced in an arc and was making slight contact with the tripod. It had enough travel to allow it into all the gears, but on throttle transitions the bit of pressure against the tripod was enough to knock it back out of gears 4 and 6. Anyone experiencing problems with gears 2 4 and 6 popping out should check this before going nuts thinking its syncros.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts