Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was not sure where to post this, so here goes another new thread.

I decided it was time for a cage, so I pulled my interior out. Well, it was nice out and I wanted to drive my car, so I bolted the 2 seats back in and went for a ride (no other interior what-so-ever). Car was faster and blew the tires off the rims in 3rd gear just rolling into the throttle.....WTF?? I thought. How much did this interior weigh??

Well, I weighed it all. Yes everything except for the door panels, steering wheel and dash.

This included the 2 stock front seats, all panels, foam, spare tire jack, carpet, and every single bolt.

Only other thing missing is the spare tire itself. I did not have one anymore.

Total weight of interior was 199lbs. (spare tire not inc.)

Back seat alone was 30lbs (19 for the back, and 11 for the seat bottom). Driver seat was 48, passenger was 38.

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
Damn.

Are you sure the bottom of the rear seat weighs 11lbs? Last time I took it out, it seemed it only weighed 5lbs max?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you sure the bottom of the rear seat weighs 11lbs? Last time I took it out, it seemed it only weighed 5lbs max?

I weighed myself, then weighed myself+Seat bottom, then subtracted. I thought maybe I was wrong, so I weighed it again about 5 minutes ago with just the bottom on the scale. It is in fact exactly 11 lbs.

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
so is your interior still out? if you have time you should catalogue each individual part, PITA i know, but just a as reference. :)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so is your interior still out? if you have time you should catalogue each individual part, PITA i know, but just a as reference.

Sheeeeeeesh, that's asking a lot....but I'll see if I can get a nice accurate (measures onces) scale and weigh all the parts themselves. NO WAY I'm measuring each bolt individually though ;)

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
Wow! 200 lbs of stuff...that's pretty heavy! I have a feeling Steve will chime in!! ;)

Do you have pictures of the car in its ghetto state!?

-Olivier

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
was the car much louder now, and did you hear alot more road noise?

I might take everything out and spray down some some deading stuff in, then just put the carpet back and leave everything in the back out.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
spray down some some deading stuff in
Don't bother, there is so much sound deadening "tar" all over the interior already, that it's almost a waste to add more weight.

With all the interior out the car is a little louder, but not nearly as loud as I thought it was going to be. The biggest difference is hearing all the rock pebbles and road debris hit the inner fender, that's loud.

As for pictures, why yes, I do have a few....:D

And I don't want to hear any comments about my rats nest wiring under the dash :p

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
did you have a rear strut tower bar in there previously?
Yes, I have the Cusco Carbon Fiber brace.

I just went to the scales to go weigh my now naked car.
With driver, 2 sparco Torinos and 1/2 tank of fuel the car weighed in at
3510 LBS

Driver weighs 192lbs, and 1/2 tank (8gallons) weighs 48lbs.

So dry weight on my car is 3270 lbs. (In ghetto mode)

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Alex, thats a great weight-loss program
you got going on there. I can see you're getting ready
for next season's import wars. Now I'm even
more eager to see your car in action ! :bigthumb:

-PHu

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Yup when I gut my car completely which included everything you did plus the doors, rear speaker box etc., the car felt very nimble,quicker, and lighter. All bolts that were removed came out to close to 18 pounds. I wonder if there is a place that sells titanium bolts.

The cock pit was extremely loud!

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
Before I had my car painted I stripped the interior out, but not to the extent that you guys did. Basically seats, carpet, sub box and door panels. My car at BPU felt amazing:) Huge difference.. I couldn't imagine it at single.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
titanium bolts.
There are companies that make aluminum hardware, light, but not as strong. Then again I'm sure it's 1/4 of the price.

I lost almost 300 lbs since the last time I weighed the car (BPU days), I'm sure a lot had to do with the single, lighter seats, and of course no interior. I am going to take a few more things out of the car to lighten it up some more. Mainly to offset the weight of the new cage, then re-install only the absolute necessary items to give the car it's "Street car" look back :).

Just wait till next season Phu, should be a good year if everything goes according:D

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
Thanks for the pictures Alex! It's amazing how light the car is without all the stuff! Especially that yours is a targa. I could not imagine a HT in this condition.

-Olivier

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I could not imagine a HT in this condition.
Uhh that would be nice. Same "Condition" as you put it, would make an HT an easy high 31xxlbs. Damn, some light one piece Volks, Ti exhaust, no bumper supports, and perhaps loose both airbags, airbag ECU, sensors, and wiring harness, and dare I say........SUB 3000lbs?? (HT of course :))

·
2,279 Posts
Don't bother, there is so much sound deadening "tar" all over the interior already, that it's almost a waste to add more weight.
There is actualy a lot of weight to lose there. It looks as though yall have more tar than the MK3 guys. For us, chipping out all the tar is 40-50 pounds!!!

G

·
i'm all for the weight loss and all.. but that's just plain ugly.. and i've had my interior out before... rear seats make a BIG difference is sound....
especially exahust noise...
is there anything else that we can take out then the interior??... i mean back seats can be replaced with carpet.. and spare tire + equipment should bring about 70lbs..

are coilovers lighter then stock suspension?.. are there parts of the body that we can cut out and weld on lighter bars and still keep the integrity?...

insang

you can also take out the hatch light... it's wiring... amp wiring.. hatch water line..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts