Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked the supra out today. Besides real minor seepage from age and a cracked intake hose to turbo its in great condition except....after the test drive I noticed the overflow was losing some coolant on to at oil cooler I believe. Upper rad hose was easy to squeeze and felt like the system wasn't building enough pressure. Stuck thermostat or underlying issue. Oil is good and doesn't seem to be any mixing of oil and coolant.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that's what I suspected was the hg was gone or going soon. Now they're asking 3800 for it. Worth it? Plus is it gonna make the 6 hour drive home?

·
Registered
549 Posts
well, a shop is going to charge many many hours to replace the head gasket, timing belt, water pump, any hoses and connectors that are brittle/break, I'd say its worth half that at the most.

it will NOT make a 6-hour drive.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Ant I am presuming it's just a leaky head gasket. To clarify my answer above, a shop doing the work would charge between $1000 and $1800 to do the head gasket, according to some googling. This may include some of the additional parts for the higher end, but won't include any machining that needs to be done to the head/block if they are warped.

I am not saying you have to take it to a shop to do the work, but it's indeed a bargaining chip. KBB and NADA "say" the car is valued much higher, at least in my area (over $5,500 in fair condition, per KBB). I have never seen a Supra listed in my area for that number. The rare exception is a heavily modified car, pushing over triple the original power, with tons of time and investment into reliability.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Check the oil and the coolant to see if anything is mixing. If the car is stock then yes I would guess a head gasket.

If anything with the cooling system was recently messed with, it could be possible there is an air pocket in the system behind the thermostat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts